Student loans and secured debt payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student loans and secured debt payments

I filed CH7 a couple of days ago. Do I still pay my house, car payment and student loan payments? They probably haven't even been notified yet of my filing.

Originally posted by lwh1961 View Post
    I filed CH7 a couple of days ago. Do I still pay my house, car payment and student loan payments? They probably haven't even been notified yet of my filing.
    If you are keeping your home and car, then you need to pay them. Your student loan actually goes into automatic deferment during the pendency of your bankruptcy. That does not stop you from paying it.

Did you file pro se? I wonder if you did, because you're asking these questions. Otherwise, your attorney should have informed you and if they didn't walk you through the process, then it sounds like you need to have a sit down with your attorney.

If you are surrendering that property -- indicated "surrender" on the Statement of Intentions -- then you do not need to make any more payments on that property. If you chose to redeem any of the property, you should be working on, or already achieved financing or obtained money from your exempt source to redeem the property.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi lwh,

justbroke has it covered: only pay for what you are going to keep and you get a break from the student loans....those payments kick back in after the BK....sigh....

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X