first attorney visit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first attorney visit today

First I want to thank everyone for holding my hand up until this point. I was a wreck about all the "what it's" and you guys helped calmed me down. This is a great board!

And don't think your job is done because i just retained an attorney.

I only had one consultation but I'm done shopping for attorneys. He spent an entire hour with me going over my papers and questions.

Even though I'm still nervous about the process.....I think I can sleep tonight.....after a week of tossing and turning.

In essence I was concerned about equity in my Malibu. He went right to his computer, ran my car and he said the equity will be covered by my exemption, plus the wild card. He said I may lose $500 of my tax return, but I will still be most of it. But he said that is worst thing that could happen.

If i dont need the whole wild card to protect the car, I will protect more of my return. I'm okay with that. Way better than all the scary thoughts running thru my head!

He complimented me on how prepared I was. I had all my documentation. My expenses report was all good. He told me that i forgot to add "entertainment", I said we're allowed entertainment? He laughed and said I can live like a normal human being.

Anyway.....I told him this board helped me prepare.....and he already knew about this site! He said that lots of his clients tell him about "bkforum".

I'll still have questions I'm sure. I'll be around....and after this is all over....I'll try to help other's!

Much love to all! Any newbie coming on....this is where you get the best information!

Filed Chapter 7 - December 21, 2011

great to hear!!!

and i'm so happy you were content with your first consult...just try and get a few more, if possible. chances are you will go with this firm, since they left you with the "no worry" feeling.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I have one set up for Wednesday. I intend to go to that one.

I signed an agreement....basically a quote for services, but I didn't give him any money yet. Does that obligate me to hiring him?

Comment

Originally posted by anafan View Post
        I signed an agreement....basically a quote for services, but I didn't give him any money yet. Does that obligate me to hiring him?
        Probably not. I had to sign something at the first meeting with the attorney I ended up hiring. I think it said something to the effect of that this was a free consultation, cost of this meeting was -0-, etc.

Comment

I have one set up for Wednesday. I intend to go to that one.

I agree with lillymarlene that it probably does not obligate you to hire him. But, read the agreement to be certain.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yeah. That's all it says. Zero for consultation. The payment part isn't filed in.

I think im still going with him. The best thing is, his office is in the same building as my job. So if I have questions I can drop by. He also gave me his email address and his assistant's.

He put me at ease immediately.

Very easy in the eyes too! Its a match!

LOL! First chuckle I've had in days!

Comment

Your best bet is to not sign anything..
              Our 2nd lawyer wanted us to sign something. Said it was just procedure... I said no and continued asking questions. I'm one of those funny people that will not sign anything..

Off track. I went to Best Buy to return some blank cd's, had the receipt too. He asked to see my drivers license, I showed it to him and he took it and started to put in my DL number I grabbed it and said no you don't need my license to return this... Somehow the cd's got returned....
              8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
              9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
              Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

Well I have to sign the agreement for him to represent me. I am hiring somebody before the end of the week. Im filing ASAP.

I want this over with so I can finally get on with my life. This has been 3 years of hell for me. I also need to file because my car has equity.

Comment

I had to show my drivers license to return some beads at the craft store last week! It was for $12! I showed it to them, I should have refused but I was in a hurry.

I wonder if that's legal?

Comment

I wonder if that's legal?
                    "Legal" is an argumentative adverb. A better question might be "Is that OK?" It is if you allow them. Its called consent. Off topic here, but the basic idea for companies that ask for your DL is to help prevent fraud. In general, they will use that ID number as a way to determine if you are making too many "no-receipt" or other returns. It is also a big way for the company to police its own people, as most fraud and theft happen from inside a company.

Should you be asked for ID, that is proper...but you also have the right to demand that your info not be recorded. Ask for a manager and don't patronize shops that tell you that recording your personal info is "policy." Faaaaar too many ID thefts happen because of "policy."

Just some advice from your Uncle btbeme. I am sure smarter and more educated legal minds might also have an opinion here, or more to add. But I say that they call it "personal" information for a reason - it is personal.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X