Who finds out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who finds out

I was just wondering does your bankrupcy come out in the paper when you go to court and if so what is it under in the paper? I looked in the paper after our meeting and I didn't see anything about bankrupcy but I'm not sure what to look under. I really hope its not in the paper at all.

Some have reported here that their local papers publish bankrupty filing notices. The court doesn't do it, it's up to the paper to monitor filings and report them. It seems to be rare.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

To add to LIR's response, who reads the newspaper anymore?

Really, many newspapers have no room for long non-revenue reports such as non-essential legal notices. Our filing was noted in a county newspaper 2 months after the fact - a newspaper with about a 3,000 circulation.

Comment

Usually, the people that find out, are the people you tell.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Anyone that is really curious enough, or MEAN enough to make your business theirs, will find out. Your filing is Public Record, and if anyone wants to go the courthouse and look at the bankruptcy filings for a given time period can do so. They can also do the same if they are willing to get a PACER account.

I don't like it, but that is the way it is.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

The real question is.... why care who knows? Chit happens if anyone gives you grief because they were too busy being nosy - then tell them you're happy to accept monthly donations in the amount of $XX so you can pay all bills necessary.

Tell them to put up or shut up, period.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy09 View Post
              I was just wondering does your bankrupcy come out in the paper when you go to court and if so what is it under in the paper? I looked in the paper after our meeting and I didn't see anything about bankrupcy but I'm not sure what to look under. I really hope its not in the paper at all.
              To the best of my knowledge, the only people who know about my bankruptcy 2+ years ago are my wife, my BK attorney and whatever strangers I've told in connection with credit-related dealings. While it is technically "public" knowledge, it is not the kind of knowledge people are going to obtain unless they actively seek it. I suppose if my family, relatives and whatever unknown enemies I might have out there wanted to go on PACER and dig up some proverbial dirt on me, they could. More power to them.

I am not at all ashamed of it, it's just nobody's business or concern.

I definitely wouldn't let this concern prevent you from going forward with a bankruptcy if it is in your best financial interests.
              4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
              5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
              10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

I definitely am going forward I'm in the 60 day wait for discharge stage now and I can't wait to put this behind me. If people find out then they just do. I'm so grateful for being able to do a ch 7, I feel so relieved.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X