Utilities during bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities during bankruptcy

I can't find the specific answer to my question so posting as new thread. If you have links in the forum that answers this, please provide them.

I filed today and my utilities are up-to-date except my water which I included in BK. Do I continue to pay my utilities while BK is open or is this the period of time where I just don't pay and they get wiped out. It would be great not to pay and save that money but I don't want to get myself in a pickle. I had horrible credit when I opened these accounts and I wasn't charged a deposit.

I believe are rules that during BK that your utilities can not be cut off, but I am almost certain that you need to continue to pay post BK. I would consult with any attorney on that to be sure. In my case, I elected to keep my utilities current as if I had included in BK, they would have required me to setup a new account and that would have required a deposit. It was dumb for me to include, as the amount I was delinquent was less than the fee to setup the new account and deposit totaled. I am talking about my electric bill here as my water was part of my rent and no issue there. I did reject my apartment lease in my BK and that wiped out the lease and associated charges (water, etc). I walked away, rented a much nicer place and no recourse from the landlord I left. They were basically SOL.

Comment

Got it. My water is more than the deposit they require so I'll keep all others current. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Yes, definitely pay your post-petition utility bills.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We continued to pay our electricity, cable, and the land-line telephone. Those were our only utilities. We live in the country with our own well and septic.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X