Making payments after creditors meeting and before discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making payments after creditors meeting and before discharge

I am anticipating discharge at the end of this month, but since filing, my auto loan and now my student loan accounts (one private loan, one fed loan) have all stopped auto-debiting payments from my bank account and have also locked me out of my accounts online.

Aren't I supposed to be paying on these accounts? I am behind on my auto loan now (dammit, GRR!) and my private student loan is reporting delinquent, at the monthly payment amount that it was before I worked out payment arrangements with them (again, before I filed bk). Actually, I had all of these accounts completely paid up and in good standing before I filed. Now they are each past due again, and I'm locked out of them!

HELP please! My auto loan is financed through Cap One, and the recorded message when I call refers me to a 3rd party bankrupcty servicer that they sent my acct to, I guess... Should I call those people? I emailed my atty twice, and he hasn't responded so far. Ugh. Take the money and run, right?! lol

Any input is greatly appreciated. Afraid now they may repo the car, since I'm late again on it. Can they? Eeek...

Yes! You were required to make all secured debt payments, to which you were not surrendering (or you wanted to keep through a stay-and-pay or "ride-through") on the first day that they were due!

You will need to mail in your payments since most creditors, as you have discovered, shut down any automated manners of paying. If you are able, you could use your depository bank's "bill pay" service for this.

If the servicer is Ascension Capital, they are really attorneys that deal with the bankruptcy itself. Did you list reaffirm or did you list surrender (or something else) on your Statement of Intentions?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Contact your creditors by phone. You will get transferred to their bankruptcy department, where you will get instructions on how to make your payments (usually a different address to mail the check). Definitely get caught up on the car.

Student loans will generally go into some form of deferment until discharge, but call them anyway. No sense coming out of BK and being behind on payments.

Comment

yes, as jb states you must make the payments you were not surrendering. especially your car and student loans and the like.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X