Insolvent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insolvent

I keep seeing posts that say insolvent, what does this actually mean & is there a way to see if you are?

Insolvent means "broke." When your debts exceed your assets.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I guess that would be me. Thanks!

Comment

Or when your 'income' can't keep up with your 'outgo'.

Good luck to you!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Also, the IRS has a format to determine (for their purposes only) if you are insolvent for tax purposes. If you go to IRS.gov and do a search, you can find that information. Otherwise, if you take all your bills and amounts owed and compare it to all your assets and your debt exceeds the worth of your assets, there you go...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

If you are declared to be "insolvent" then do you not have to pay taxes on that money that was issued on the 1099?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              Or when your 'income' can't keep up with your 'outgo'.

Good luck to you!
              When your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep has became your downfall.........
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Insolvent means your debts exceed your liabilities.

You can be insolvent and yet still have enough income to service your debts.

Normally once you're insolvent people are no longer willing to loan you money to rollover your debts.

Unless you happen to be a Too Big To Fail financial institution.
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrissyF View Post
                  If you are declared to be "insolvent" then do you not have to pay taxes on that money that was issued on the 1099?

ChrissyF: it depends... IRS standards are 'different' ....
                  i.e.: by IRS standards you need to include your IRA as assets (exempt by bk standards).
                  Hence it is very important to first go to the IRS site and check out their definition of 'insolvency', and also to run the numbers using their standards.

Comment

Insolvent: n. See JustBroke

(Just kidding. The IRS definition was provided by catlet. Yeah, look what the cat dragged in!)
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Oops. Goofed it up. Meant to say:

Insolvent means your debts exceed your assets.

Be careful because the IRS definition of assets picks up things which are normally exempted in bankruptcy court, i.e IRA and 401k money, and they don't provide for net value after taxes either.

Here is the link to the IRS doc including worksheet: Pub 4681
                      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

And I suppose if you owe the IRS money and are on a payment plan, this also counts as liability...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X