Collection call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection call

I get a call daily from someone called Bill Catlett, phone location Sherwood Oregon. He has never said he is a debt collector or even what company he works for. But I googled him and he is a debt collector. He says he needs to talk with me asap. Of course he dosen't mention what the call is for but says it's not a sale's call.

Question: Does he have to say what company he works for? He makes the call sound like an emergency.

Actually, he is not allowed to leave a message saying that he is a debt collector. Also if the company name would give away that it is a debt collection organization he is supposed to avoid using it. This is of course, for your protection in the event that the telephone number is not actually yours.

I have a standard way of dealing with all collection calls. I always take the call, never avoid them. Putting your head in the sand only works for ostriches. After I confirm that I am indeed the person that they are looking for I follow that with a resolute statement that I will not discuss financial matters over the telephone. This is usually followed by a closing such as, "Have a nice day." and followed by a click. Be firm and never, ever give any information over the telephone. Stick to your mantra no matter what they say to you.

Comment

If you want to answer, you can do what Bell30656 said. However, if this is a collection agency, then be aware that merely answering the phone and acknowledging their call can result in your phone being "bombarded" with several robo-dialed calls a day from these people. It may be better to just ignore them, as (assuming you have not moved) they should have your mailing address and can send dunning letters if they wish.

Comment

Just read where in Washington state the collection agency can't call more than 3 times a week. I think the law must be new and it also changes the times from 8 am to 9 pm to 7:30 am to 9 pm.

Comment

Actually, what I discovered was that by answering the phone I cut the number of calls down substantially. The robo callers were hitting me at all hours of the day. However, what was so much worse was when I decided not to answer the calls. I actually unplugged the house phone so I wouldn't hear the calls. Then a couple CA's started calling my work. A really aggressive JDB dialed random extensions at my work leaving "attempt to locate" messages on each voice mail. My neighbors started to receive calls and other people in this small town that have the same last name as me. I found this out when my ex-wife got called by a collection agent that was attempting to locate me.

In this day of information it is very easy for a collector to find information on you. Quick checks of local internet sites can give you the neighbors names and phone numbers. I really didn't want everyone in this small town to know that I was in debt. I switched tactics and got the callers under controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
            Actually, he is not allowed to leave a message saying that he is a debt collector. Also if the company name would give away that it is a debt collection organization he is supposed to avoid using it. This is of course, for your protection in the event that the telephone number is not actually yours.

I have a standard way of dealing with all collection calls. I always take the call, never avoid them. Putting your head in the sand only works for ostriches. After I confirm that I am indeed the person that they are looking for I follow that with a resolute statement that I will not discuss financial matters over the telephone. This is usually followed by a closing such as, "Have a nice day." and followed by a click. Be firm and never, ever give any information over the telephone. Stick to your mantra no matter what they say to you.
            That is essential if you choose to talk to them on the phone. Never give them any information.

One more thing, is this-- get a Google Voice number, and call them using that number, so they will start calling the Google Voice number. Answer it when they call it, so they will think it is a real number. Then leave a detailed Google Voicemail message with your name, so they know they got the right number when they call in the future and you don't answer it.
            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

In almost 3 years ( about a month after I defaulted) I have talked to collectors only when I am ready to settle with them. It's worked for us. They give up if no one ever answers. (for us anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN150 View Post
                Just read where in Washington state the collection agency can't call more than 3 times a week. I think the law must be new and it also changes the times from 8 am to 9 pm to 7:30 am to 9 pm.
                Dylan
                May I suggest that you take a look at the laws governing collection agencies in your state: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.a...9.16&full=true. Here is just a little bit about who and when they contact a debtor.

(12) Communicate with a debtor or anyone else in such a manner as to harass, intimidate, threaten, or embarrass a debtor, including but not limited to communication at an unreasonable hour, with unreasonable frequency, by threats of force or violence, by threats of criminal prosecution, and by use of offensive language. A communication shall be presumed to have been made for the purposes of harassment if:
                (a) It is made with a debtor or spouse in any form, manner, or place, more than three times in a single week;
                (b) It is made with a debtor at his or her place of employment more than one time in a single week;
                (c) It is made with the debtor or spouse at his or her place of residence between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:30 a.m.
                (13) Communicate with the debtor through use of forms or instruments that simulate the form or appearance of judicial process, the form or appearance of government documents, or the simulation of a form or appearance of a telegraphic or emergency message.

May I suggest that all future filers, the folks that are living in (the you have stopped using/paying your credit but need to wait that 90-120 days prior to filing) limbo play a visit to your state’s attorney general website. Starting at your AG’s website could give you direct links to how and to whom you can file complaints/disputes regarding the practices as well as links directly to the specific state laws.
                Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X