top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do I list in BK filing as creditors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who do I list in BK filing as creditors???

I plan on filing for bankruptcy. I owe $12,314 on two credit cards and as the old story goes, I was late on a payment to both companies so they more than doubled my minimum payments thus I cannot afford to pay the min. Discussions with the creditors got me nowhere.

Anyway, my question is when I go to list my creditors for unsecured debts, the credit card companies, who do I list since they have both have assigned my debt over to collections companies? One debt has been assigned twice. Do I list the original two credit card companies I owed or do I list the collection companies that have been assigned the debt to collect?

Also, I owe $6000 on one card and $6,314 on another. Will a collections company go to the expense of garnishment of my wages for such "low" amounts? Is it worth it to them to pay attorney fees to get a judgement against me? I work as a full time minimum wage retail clerk and am responsible for all my living expenses (I don't live with relatives) so all my money is spent on basic existence.

List the original creditors, and all the subsequent collection agencies too!

It doesn't matter what your expenses are, a creditor who receives a judgment is entitled to anything above the exemption.

WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: 75% of earnings or 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage, whichever is greater
    This is a new and awesome instruction sheet on what is exempt property (from judgment) here in Washington and it has links on how to answer a law suit, legally protect your money from judgment, etc.:

Welcome and waving at you from just up I-5! I hope these help you.
    Last edited by ValleYum; 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Welcome WTF!!!! First you know you're not alone!

Let me address one part of your question and others will chime in as well. For listing of creditors list EVERYONE - that is, the original credit card, the first, second, third, etc collection agency. Don't leave any of them off!!!

Comment

Thanks to all

Thank you ALL for explaining to details to me.

This will be a pain in that I owe two credit card companies but receive colleciton calls from 8 different "sources" and the credit two card companies have told me they have written off the debt. I guess the collection companies can have all sorts of aliases or anyone can jump on the debt collection band wagon. I get calls from ADS, CDS, WFNNB, Beverly and several other multiple alpha character so called companies all claiming to be collection companies.

I wonder if I file and leave myself at the mercy of the trustee, I could end up with a chapter 13 decision and end up paying even though I have little or no resources left at the end of the month.

I have a room mate but she lost her job and is living on unemployment insurance and hardly is able to pay anything toward expenses but I bet her income and minor contribution will be taken into consideration even though she uses her money for re-education under the Commissioner Approved Training program we have in Washington State where you can go to school, collect unemployment insurance and not have to conduct job searches.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
          I wonder if I file and leave myself at the mercy of the trustee, I could end up with a chapter 13 decision and end up paying even though I have little or no resources left at the end of the month.
          By a "Chapter 13 decision" do you mean the trustee forcing you into a Chap 13? You cannot be forced into a Chap 13. If you file a 7 and the trustee files an objection because he/she believes you can fund a 13 and you/your attorney don't believe you can fight the objection and win, you have a choice of converting to a 13 or let the Chap 7 be dismissed. Also, if you truly have no disposible income, you probably qualify for a 7.

Only your roommate's contribution to your household will be included in your petition, not her entire income.

Make appointments for free consultations with a couple BK attorneys to discuss your situation. In the meantime, do some reading here, including the stickies in the various subforums, to get a better understanding of how the BK process works.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

If you need a referral, I can PM you the name of the attorney we used in Vancouver. Just let me know since we can't do that in the threads.
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

You list everybody, everything, every collection agency, every junk debt buyer, the dog and your kitchen sink. If possible, list the original creditor with the $$$, and everyone else "for informational information purpose" with a 0.00 balance. The creditors and the courts will sort it out.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Valley: I use to live in Vancouver for 20 plus years. Salmon Creek area.

Comment

We are up just north of Vancouver & Salmon Creek, Dylan - been here since 2004. Lived in Bremerton (hubby was in the Navy) before that.

Comment

I spent 13 years logging out of Battleground and Amboy. I lived on the East Fork of the Lewis, above the Heisson bridge. It is a small world.

Comment

I lived on River Road in downtown Eugene, Oregon, when I was growing up, and we took a lot of trips to the Vancouver area. Beautiful area.
                      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X