Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignoring collection calls?

Hi all,

I've mentioned before that I was hoping to file Chapter 7 soon, however it looks like that timeline is going to drag out as I recently took a job that pays less than what I've been making (don't really want to get into the specifics of that) and my wife is working less due to being home with our new baby. My original plan back in June was to file by the end of the year, however with our cash flow now restricted even further it's looking like that won't be possible. That being said, if a judgment were to come in I may be able to find a way to pull the BK trigger with short notice.

I keep receiving several dozen collection calls every day, but I got a new private number that none of the collection agencies or creditors have so that I can go on with life. I still have my old number just in case someone leaves me a message that's important (lawsuit, court appearance, etc,.) but I've just been ignoring the collection calls coming in. Is this the right thing to do? I've read elsewhere that I should talk to them, but I really don't see anything to gain from talking to them on the phone. I have retained a lawyer and he said I can send them to him, but for me it's just easier (and less panic-inducing) to just ignore the calls.

Thoughts? Advice?

i know our atty said the same thing actually i supplied the firm with a list and they wrote everyone of our creditors. that didn't stop the calling tho, since until your ase has docket number they have a right to collect the debt. we found some were good about it while others just kept on calling. i know many on this site use google voice mail. i'm sure exactly how it works but i am sure or am hopeful some will explain it, that way you can still get your calls you need but without the bother.

best of luck! i know it's a pain, but it will be over soon
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

What you are doing is very smart. You have NOTHING to gain by speaking to collectors, because the ONLY thing they want to hear is that you'll pay them in full, right now. If that's not going to happen (and it sounds like it's not, since you're considering bankruptcy) then the only thing they'll do is harass you with invasive questions and waste your time. Even worse, there's the risk that you might accidentally give out some information that could be used against you, either to sue now, or to try and block discharging the debt when you file for BK.

Comment

Google Voice.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X