Things That Stay In The House In Foreclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things That Stay In The House In Foreclosure

I have some mirrors in my dining room that have been glued to the wall with mastic. Please tell me I don't have to take those down. What about ceiling fans that I bought? There was nothing there before the ceiling fans. What about window blinds? I know I should leave the stove and dishwasher but how about the original refrigerator?

I didn't mean to post this submission twice.
    Last edited by justbroke; 01-20-2014, 08:02 AM. Reason: moderator deleted duplicate thread

Comment

If you want the fan and blinds, take 'em.
      Leave the mirrors if you don't want them.
      Personally, I'd not take any appliances unless I paid for them.

Comment

You do not need to take any "fixtures" or appliances. Fixtures are anything attached to the home by a permanent means (like screws, nails, etc). People take their pictures, but usually leave mirrors. You could take the refrigerator and washer/dryer and even the stove (if it's not built-in). However, gutting the home is not the same as taking the refrigerator. That means, don't start stripping the home of doors, hardware (like knobs), windows, non-window A/C units, furnace, sinks, etc.

Some homeowners have stripped their foreclosure homes, but it's not really a good idea. It is up to you what you decide to take with you. If it's nailed down, screwed in, and maybe even glued or cemented, you probably shouldn't take it.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Working in the HVAC industry during the height of the foreclosure crisis, I had the "pleasure" of being in many houses which were purchased at foreclosure auctions. I was amazed by the range in condition--some people left everything, even their clothes and food in the cupboards, whereas some people took EVERYTHING, even the toilets, kitchen sink, and of course the furnace and air conditioner! And for some reason, the people who took the furnace and air conditioner also saw the need to smash or take the thermostat and cut the refrigerant pipes flush to the wall, so we had to run a new lineset as well!

Most people left their house in broom-clean condition, and took ONLY appliances which connect to an electrical outlet--the refrigerator, stove, clothes washer, and clothes dryer. Taking light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, or built-in appliances will cause much more damage than the item is worth anyways. Some lenders may choose to file criminal charges if they believe you have deliberately vandalized the house.

Comment

If you do want your ceiling fans, assuming they are expensive ones, why not replace them with an inexpensive light fixture?

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
              If you do want your ceiling fans, assuming they are expensive ones, why not replace them with an inexpensive light fixture?
              You could do that.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

IMO, items like refrigerators, washers and dryers, and in many cases dishwashers are a simple plug-in item. Why not take them or sell them?
                However, as Justbroke pointed out fixtures are a no-no.

Comment

We sold our refrigerator and washer and dryer (only because the rental we were going to already had them). Hindsight being 20/20 I would have also sold the stove. Aside from those items the house was left just as we bought it.

Comment

In many cases an electric stove/range and dishwasher are also plug-in items.

Comment

What about yard plants in my yard that I bought? They are small enough to dig up and I wouldn't mind putting them in pots to bring them with me to keep for my next house when I am able to buy one again. They are very *special* to me. On the other hand, maybe I could sell them as I could use the money.

If I leave the refrigerator here, will they/could they do an eviction on me? I don't want to take the refrigerator with me because apartments usually have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilyat108x View Post
                        What about yard plants in my yard that I bought? They are small enough to dig up and I wouldn't mind putting them in pots to bring them with me to keep for my next house when I am able to buy one again. They are very *special* to me. On the other hand, maybe I could sell them as I could use the money.

If I leave the refrigerator here, will they/could they do an eviction on me? I don't want to take the refrigerator with me because apartments usually have them.
                        Dig away! Nobody cares about plants.
                        Not sure what you mean by leaving the fridge could they evict you?????

Comment

I don't want to get an eviction notice for leaving the refrigerator and stove here.

Comment

If you are not taking the refrigerator then sell it. Lots of folks out there willing to buy a good used refrigerator. Advertise on craigslist for free.

In the end when I find I cannot sell anymore and time is running out I will have a local charity come in and take the remainder.

One thing I would like to mention here is that although many of us are concentrating on ourselves there are many who are worse off and need donations. One local charity where I live is a drug and alcohol rehab operating on donations and without government funding. When I first sorted my clothes in preparation for my upcoming foreclosure I donated them to this charity.
                            While I was there I mentioned that I had a lot of underwear I no longer wore and would be throwing those out. I was told please don't throw the underwear away as they can used any clothing item. I never thought about donating underwear but what I had was clean and serviceable.
                            I would just like to say that if you have the time don't just leave any items in a home you are walking away from. There are a lot of charities that would be grateful for those donations. In many cases they will send a truck and people to collect donated items.

Comment

Perfect suggestion nioka!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X