Will they find it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Will they find it?

I'm not trying to be deceitful, I'm just wondering if I need to file an amendment.

I finished filling in my forms last Wednesday. The next day (Thursday) I received a student loan stipend check from my school. I cashed it at a local check cashing place because I have a new bank account, and the bank holds all deposit checks for a week before releasing the funds. I filed my paperwork that Friday, and signed Friday's date on the forms. I forgot to add that student loan stipend cash as cash on hand.

I want to file an amendment but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the headache or appearance of fraud. I don't have the money any more (I spent it on school supplies and stuff). Can the court find that I cashed a check at the check cashing place somehow?

What would you do?

Thanks.
    6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
    7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
    9/28/09: Discharged
    10/2/09: Case closed!

Did you file pro se?

You may want to wait for your 341 Meeting and if the Trustee asks if you anything changed or you received money, then you just answer truthfully.

How much are we talking about anyhow? (Noting that you could probably exempt it anyhow.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Did you file pro se?

You may want to wait for your 341 Meeting and if the Trustee asks if you anything changed or you received money, then you just answer truthfully.

How much are we talking about anyhow? (Noting that you could probably exempt it anyhow.)
      I did file pro se. The check was for $645.
      6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
      7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
      9/28/09: Discharged
      10/2/09: Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by damooster View Post
        I did file pro se. The check was for $645.
        Do you know if you have any "wildcard" exemptions leftover? Worse case, is that when the Trustee asks about that, you can say, yes you received a check... and that you will file a modification to your Schedules to exempt the amount.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was under the impression that student aid was exempt, at least under Schedule I in California.

Comment

We don't have an exemption for student aid, that I can find, in Florida. California may be one of the more "liberal" States in that area (pun intended).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X