My New Office Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Office Policy

I get about a dozen calls a day from these collectors with THICK Indian accents calling for various creditors to verify that clients have filed or will be filing bankruptcy; which chapter, what's the case number, where is the collateral etc. etc.

I have resolved that from this day forward, I will not give any information to any person who does not speak English as a first language. I bet that these companies are paying these starving a**ed Indians about $2 per day to do their dirty work. Then they wonder why unemployed Americans fall behind on their credit card payments.

My response from now on will be "If you need information about one of my clients, have someone call me who speaks English as their first language and I'll be glad to help."

The only thing worse than a debt collector is a debt collector who can't speak English.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Amen brother!
    Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
    Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
    Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

HALLALUJAH !!!

(Now would you, by chance, also know how to solve the ongoing insult of "push 1 for english" ?)

Comment

Why I totally, totally understand your point...watch it - review the matter of I believe Gino's Steaks or Pat's Steaks in Philadelphia which posted a sign a few years back that it will not serve anyone who does not speak English. The Spanish population in that area has exploded and their notification that they will not serve anyone who does not speak English resulted not only in really bad publicity (huge drop in sales) but I believe charges and fines.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I heard of an phone system that said press 1 for english, or hang up until you learn it.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I tip my hat to you, sir.

Comment

MSbklawyer I like your style.

Now if we can turn this into a nation wide movement!
              ==================================
              Filed: 4-30-2010
              341 Complete: 6-16-2010
              Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

We have done that for a while now. If someone calls us or we call in and we can not understand them, we ask for an American.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  Why I totally, totally understand your point...watch it - review the matter of I believe Gino's Steaks or Pat's Steaks in Philadelphia which posted a sign a few years back that it will not serve anyone who does not speak English. The Spanish population in that area has exploded and their notification that they will not serve anyone who does not speak English resulted not only in really bad publicity (huge drop in sales) but I believe charges and fines.
                  Thats sweet, i doubt the hispanic population was patronizing them anyway if they did not have a sign that read "Tortas Con Queso"
                  Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

I had an "argument" with an American Express (internal) collections person. She couldn't understand what I was saying, so I asked her if she could put someone on the phone who speaks English. (I didn't say as a first language, but that was strongly implied.) The argument was because she kept says "but I do speak English".

I kept telling her that she didn't understand the finer subtlties of what I was saying, that I explained something to her 5 differently ways, and she still didn't understand the "English" that I was speaking. Finally, I was transferred to someone in the United States. It took some time though to convince the rep that she wasn't speaking English.

I was trying to be nice the whole time, but it did get frustrating. No, I didn't start the conversation with "put someone on the phone who speaks English". I even asked her to explain what I had just said, and she couldn't. He stock answer was "yes".
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I am actually " english " ( British ) and this too annoys me. I now live in The US and this is an English speaking country. We should not have to press 1 for English. It should be by Default.

Having said that, sometimes americans can't quite grasp what I am saying because of my English accent and terms LOL. We speak the same but different !
                      Marie

Comment

Originally posted by marie View Post
                        Having said that, sometimes americans can't quite grasp what I am saying because of my English accent and terms LOL. We speak the same but different !
                        I lived in London for a spell. My accent started changing. I loved it.

I had this friend who was unemployed, so I told her she could come to London with me on my assignment. She told me, and I quote... "I'm not going anyplace where they don't speak English!". I responded with "but it's England!". Her response... "you know what I mean." My response... "No, I don't."
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          I had an "argument" with an American Express (internal) collections person. She couldn't understand what I was saying, so I asked her if she could put someone on the phone who speaks English. (I didn't say as a first language, but that was strongly implied.) The argument was because she kept says "but I do speak English".

I kept telling her that she didn't understand the finer subtlties of what I was saying, that I explained something to her 5 differently ways, and she still didn't understand the "English" that I was speaking. Finally, I was transferred to someone in the United States. It took some time though to convince the rep that she wasn't speaking English.

I was trying to be nice the whole time, but it did get frustrating. No, I didn't start the conversation with "put someone on the phone who speaks English". I even asked her to explain what I had just said, and she couldn't. He stock answer was "yes".
                          You are much nicer than me justbroke. I ALWAYS start my conversation with Indian call center people with: "Please transfer me back to the states. Thank you." I say this right after they say "How can I help you".
                          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                            You are much nicer than me justbroke. I ALWAYS start my conversation with Indian call center people with: "Please transfer me back to the states. Thank you." I say this right after they say "How can I help you".
                            Absolutely...if you cannot understand someone's accent on the phone from a call center or if they call you for any reason, just state that you just cannot understand what they are saying and ask to be transferred to a US supervisor or rep or ask for the phone number to the US location/center which they have to give you. Those folks are only doing their job - the issue is with the bank/company that gave them that overseas job...I've talked to some folks from the deep south and unless you are from that area, understanding them is difficult too; ever work with someone with a deep British accent? Or someone from Boston who you just cannot understand? :-)

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                              Or someone from Boston who you just cannot understand? :-)
                              Hey... I understand Bostonian!

Pock tha ka in Havid Yaad.

(Or so, I thought I did.) Actually I was asking directions in Boston once. The man kept telling me about the Boston Commons, the Combat Zone, and Downtown Crossing. I couldn't understand a word he told me! Of course, the directions included "Park Street", "Public Gardens" (Commons), "Jordan Marsh" (now closed), the water fountain in the Gardens, and various other landmarks.

Park Street: Pock Street
                              Public Gardens: Publik Gadins
                              Jordan Marsh: Jawdin Mawsh
                              Water Fountain: bubblah (bubbler)

So... see the Gadins over there? The Publik Gadins? Cross heya and go 'round the bubblah? Pass the Pock Street "T" station... bang a right and you'll see Jawdin Mawsh.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X