Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question including past due hoa fees in bankruptcy

hi there,
    i live in florida and had fallen behind on our hoa fees due to my husbands business coming to a complete stop, a lien and lis pending was file in 2008 and i have tried to make payments but it doesnt seem to put a dent in the balance we owe because they are charging us a monthly late fee. when i was sending them our stipulation payment they woulod apply the amount attorney and late fees so the balance seems to be getting bigger as i am paying. i was wondering if you can include past due hoa fees on a bankruptcy. this balance is never going to get paid off as long as they continue to add fees each month. i just want to be able to start fresh and put this behind us. i am not having any issues with our mortgage as we were fortunate to have it modified and completed. thanks for your hep

Yes, if you file bankruptcy, you will include past due hoa fees. When your case is closed, you will no longer owe for hoa fees incurred prior to your filing date.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

In response to:

"Yes, if you file bankruptcy, you will include past due hoa fees. When your case is closed, you will no longer owe for hoa fees incurred prior to your filing date."

Correct, however the OP states:

"a lien and lis pending was file in 2008"

therefore. . .

The HOA lien will survive and, if you want the property, just like the mortgage, you have to deal with it. If you do not, the HOA may exercise its rights to foreclose the lien, as stupid as that may be.

Comment

thank you so much for getting back to me.
        "Correct, however the OP states:

"a lien and lis pending was file in 2008"

therefore. . .

The HOA lien will survive and, if you want the property, just like the mortgage, you have to deal with it. If you do not, the HOA may exercise its rights to foreclose the lien, as stupid as that may be."

once our bankruptcy is complete, does the hoa release the lien and lis pending on file with the court house or does that have to stay on file?

Comment

I do not know about the lis pendens but the lien, which is consensual, should be released when it is satisfied.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X