Attorney responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney responsiveness

I don't want to jump the gun here, so wondering how quick the attorney should be in responding. Leading up to me paying i would get same day response. Since paying i have not heard a peep. Now it has not been long, only paid him last tuesday, but got a letter about my MTG being transferred thursday, so sent him a Text message if he wanted me to fax it over. That was 8:30 am friday. I phoned him at 10am this morning and left a message. I was polite but stated that i had not heard back regarding the Txt Msg.

Generally speaking i have made enemies in life for getting upset over things like this. I would really like to stay in the good graces of this attorney. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

What if he does not respond? what are my options at this point? What was your experience in regards to communications with your lawyer?

The letter is not urgent, so it is not suprising that the attorney would take a couple of days to get back to you. Your attorney does need to know who the mortgage was transferred to, so you might as well fax a copy of the letter to him.

As far as not hearing a peep since paying, when you paid, was there a discussion of what would happen next and when it would happen? Is there a target date for filing your petition?

ETA: I may be old fashioned, but communicating with your attorney by text message seems odd to me. Did he suggest you communicate that way?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Most attorneys operate on a last minute basis. Many don't/won't respond until it's time for them to actually do something.

To you, this bk is an event. To your attorney, it is a process....
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I was surprised too about the texting. He sent the first one so i figured it was cool. I hardly text anyone anyway, never liked it but for certain things, such as something like where quick anser could be provided with minimum interruption i figured it was the way to go.

Because i assume he is just now compiling my creditor matrix, i thought the info would be pertinent and helpful. I do not have his fax number.

I also wanted to ask him if i should now start directing all calls his way. I know that is how things are supposed to go, i just figure if i tell the creditors i have an attorney then they have a head start to plan accordingly. Whereas telling them i am in financial distress and should know more in 30 days could be a better answer, keeping them in the dark you know?

Comment

Unless he instructed you to direct calls his way, do not do that. Continue to avoid your creditors until he files and you have a case number in hand.

Until you have a case number, you have no protection under the bk code.

Good luck.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Thanks Frogger!~

Oh yea, Ladyinthered, i re-read your reply. When we met he said about 3 weeks to file. That was the June 14th. My check hit the bank the very next day!

Comment

I was concerned about the value of my Vehicle. I asked him at the meeting if it was worthwhile to get a carmax quote, he said wait until we see if the trustee makes an objection. Im wondering if that is the way to go? when i get a valuation online it's roughly 30k and i owe 24k. Certainly the trustee will object as Fl. only has 1k vehicle exemption. Wouldnt it be better to be prepared?

Comment

Originally posted by InOverHead View Post
                he said wait until we see if the trustee makes an objection.
                You're paying your attorney to worry for you, so let him do it. This is not his first cowboy show.....

Comment

While frogger may be (probably is) right, in my opinion not all the bk lawyers I met with or actually hired got everything right. In fact many of them got things wrong which because of this forum and other research I didn't get hurt. I'd go to Carmax-if they give you 30k you know it;if they offer 24 you'll know that too. If they offer 24 why wouldn't that be the number you value the car at? Good luck.

Comment

Guys for whatever it's worth, I REALLY managed to get on my atty's nerves...so Inovermyhead, I know exactly where you're coming from, because I'm exactly like that...BUT Frogger is (as usual) very very right - atty's do last-minute things, which irritates me...BUT - take a deep breath, give him another day or two, and just call the office back - and get their fax #!

Comment

That was what the attorney came away with after our first meeting - That i am worrying WAY too much. I really really wish i wouldn't...just can't seem to help myself. I appreciate both your comments, Frogger. In fact "BK being an event to me and a process to him" and "let him worry as this not his first rodeo" are both golden!

Thing is, when i tried the means test i failed it everytime. Kept saying suspicion of abuse. I also downloaded 'best case' trial as it's the same program he uses. So i am naturally concerned. Nonetheless he says it's close but i pass. I figured it was because he was using averages and inflating them, so i confirmed that on the schedule J it uses actuals. Again, he shrugged it off stating that i pass the test so ling as the info i gave him is accurate - so why worry?

Bottom line is i am just very surprised. It seems like once again in life i have been fooled. This is not a big firm attorney. I went with him becuase we seemed to get along very well and he promised to be involved and attentive - he also did 80+ BK cases over the past two years. As soon as he took my money it seems i am not important enough to take a minute and simply reply.

At least i did this morning what i should have done in the first place - i checked to make sure he is part of the BAR. Thankfully he was a member in good standing. I was having crazy thoughts as i never met at his location, it was always lunch/dinner and we did the means over the phone.

Important or not. I think it IS. I feel he should have replied by now. This adds to the stress of the whole situation.

Comment

I'm right there with you - hence I'm also here in this forum. I have to "contain" myself which this forum helps me to do, or i don't think I'd still have a lawyer :-)

That was what the attorney came away with after our first meeting - That i am worrying WAY too much. I really really wish i wouldn't...just can't seem to help myself. I appreciate both your comments, Frogger. In fact "BK being an event to me and a process to him" and "let him worry as this not his first rodeo" are both golden!

Thing is, when i tried the means test i failed it everytime. Kept saying suspicion of abuse. I also downloaded 'best case' trial as it's the same program he uses. So i am naturally concerned. Nonetheless he says it's close but i pass. I figured it was because he was using averages and inflating them, so i confirmed that on the schedule J it uses actuals. Again, he shrugged it off stating that i pass the test so ling as the info i gave him is accurate - so why worry?

Bottom line is i am just very surprised. It seems like once again in life i have been fooled. This is not a big firm attorney. I went with him becuase we seemed to get along very well and he promised to be involved and attentive - he also did 80+ BK cases over the past two years. As soon as he took my money it seems i am not important enough to take a minute and simply reply.

At least i did this morning what i should have done in the first place - i checked to make sure he is part of the BAR. Thankfully he was a member in good standing. I was having crazy thoughts as i never met at his location, it was always lunch/dinner and we did the means over the phone.

Important or not. I think it IS. I feel he should have replied by now. This adds to the stress of the whole situation.

Comment

Thanks, Old. Yeah extremely grateful for resources such as this forum. It must have been painstakingly difficult to go thru stuff like this prior to the internet. What i got out of this thread is despite how i might feel, i need to wait another day for a response. I don't understand, but if that's the norm i guess i have no choice other than to go with it.

Comment

Thanks, Old. Yeah extremely grateful for resources such as this forum. It must have been painstakingly difficult to go thru stuff like this prior to the internet. What i got out of this thread is despite how i might feel, i need to wait another day for a response. I don't understand, but if that's the norm i guess i have no choice other than to go with it.
                            Like I said, i'm right there with you...BUT one thing you don't want to do is to get him ticked off at you. There are also excellent atty's here whom I've bugged for advice, and they'd be happy to help you as well!!!!

Comment

InOverHead, the letter contains info he needs. Call his office and get the fax number. If you have any other questions you need to ask him, leave a message and ask how long you should expect to wait for a return call. Then call again if you don't hear from him by that time.
                              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X