No announcement yet.

Attorney responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LadyintheRed, Thank you replying. I have two numbers for him. Both have his voice on the MSG. He has never answered but prior to paying he would call back within a few hours. When i called yesterday i very politely asked what his preferred method of communication was and which of those gave me the best chance of getting a fast response if i had a quick question.

Today i got a call a work from Discover. They have been calling non-stop at home. It is so horrible to speak with them! The girl sounded so nice and i felt so embarrassed being a dead beat!! But she tried tricking me by working out payment arrangements and lowering interest, then said they would just use the JPMorgan/Chase account i had been using to make online payments. I kept telling her i will know more in thirty days and will speak then - she would not let me off the phone. I had to eventaully hang up. What a mess! I feel so horrible. What's worse is used to be hooked on pain pills - they basically numbed not only physical pain but mental as well. I got off them for the past year but this mess has led me back...what a nightmare!

Comment

InOverHead - first - you are NOT NOT NOT a deadbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let them get to you!!!!

Second - don't self-medicate - go see someone if you can - I did and it really helps.

Comment

If you've paid someone to handle your case for you, LET them handle it for you!

I do have to say it is very odd that text messages and meetings at bars and restaurants are used instead of a meeting in a professional setting. Where did you drop your paperwork off to? Why don't you have his business card with an email and fax?

Pills will not solve anything, especially if you are "off" at your 341 meeting in front of the Trustee.
        Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by InOverHead View Post
          LadyintheRed, Thank you replying. I have two numbers for him. Both have his voice on the MSG. He has never answered but prior to paying he would call back within a few hours. When i called yesterday i very politely asked what his preferred method of communication was and which of those gave me the best chance of getting a fast response if i had a quick question.

Today i got a call a work from Discover. They have been calling non-stop at home. It is so horrible to speak with them! The girl sounded so nice and i felt so embarrassed being a dead beat!! But she tried tricking me by working out payment arrangements and lowering interest, then said they would just use the JPMorgan/Chase account i had been using to make online payments. I kept telling her i will know more in thirty days and will speak then - she would not let me off the phone. I had to eventaully hang up. What a mess! I feel so horrible. What's worse is used to be hooked on pain pills - they basically numbed not only physical pain but mental as well. I got off them for the past year but this mess has led me back...what a nightmare!
          If you get calls at work, tell them you are not allowed to recieve calls, that should stop the work calls. Calls at home, let your machine pick up, answer if it's somebody you wish to talk to,if not, ignore it. Or get caller id at home, don't answer if it's a cc. That should help with some of the stress.

While it's not my place to direct what you do in your life, you brought it up so I would like to address it. Please do not let yourself get hooked on pills again, it's not the answer. Think of your health and the possible struggle you went through to get off those pills. There are so many wonderful folks on here to provide advice and support when you need it, use the forum for stress relief. Sometimes just reading other peoples struggles make us feel like ours are nothing and other times it's just nice to know we are not alone.\

If all else fails to relieve some of the stress/anxiety, see your doctor and get a very light nerve pill to get you through. I suspect that would be better than picking up the pain killer habit. Please think about it, not being judgemental, just thinking of your physical and mental health.

Good luck and keep posting.
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Thanks Old, BKatty, and sunshine. Sincerely appreciate the info and non judgemental replies. Pills are a sticky situation. They are easy to lean on when times are difficult - This is one of those times...but, i am very angry with myself as stopping was brutal and at the time i swore i would never go through that again. Really didnt intend on it. They were just there for the taking and seemed just for the day would make everything better. Just did not think i would need them again the next day and the next day. They are in my system now so i have to start weaning down.

BKattyMi - it was never bars. Just lunch and dinner places. That's where i gave my paperwork. Honestly the texts he sent were just to confirm meetings, i initiated the case stuff with this last question. I definitely understand and want to let him handle it, as that's what i hired him for. I just wanted to provide him the correct info so that he could handle it. The business card is something i will look for tonight, i remember he did hand me one. Still no call today though, i will have to call him once more tomorrow and be careful not to come across upset. I do not want to aggravate him by questioning, but i really feel like i should know why i have been put off. It's always been hard for me once i feel dissed not to build a resentment and then to still deal with someone...

Comment

Hello Inoverhead - I'm again right there with you - I felt like hey, I'm paying lots of money I want service! Well, it's me and dozens of others...so it is what it is and I had to "swallow my pride," if you will. We need to keep our eyes on the prize on the goal!!!

Comment

Well, I completely understand about "service", but from my side of the fence, 10% of your clients take up 90% of your time and billable hours. They also seem to be the ones that pay the least. If your attorney bills at $200/hr, and they take a basic Chapter 7 case for $1000 in attorney fees (not including court costs, etc), you essentially "buy" 5 hours of their time. Do you really want to spend their time on your case listening and responding to voicemails you left them? That 5 hours covers a meeting or two, paperwork preparation, signing paperwork, and appearing in court. Ultimately, bankruptcy attorneys have to make a living too. Once I go through paperwork, believe me, I'll let the client know what else is needed, if anything. Long story short, relax.
                Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

I was worried about my attorney too, at first, because it seemed all I ever talked to was his assistant. Went online and checked him out and he was legit. After I did that, things moved more smoothly and I did most of my talking to his law clerk. She was very sensitive to my feelings and walked me through things when he was too busy.

It all went fine and I am now awaiting closing of my case. It turned out that he was not the one who went to court with me but the law clerk and associate attorney were there. It still all went well.

Comment

on general questions about BK I look and ask here,such a wealth of info here.if it wasnt for this site my lawyer would have FIRED Me!!
                    on specific questions releated to my case I call 1st if he don't answer I leave message.then send email.that has recieved a better response time.
                    remember you are not his only client but imo a little more communication is always reassuring.

I used AVVO to find reviews about my lawyer mine has a whole list of very favorable reviews.it was suggested to me that when you shop for lawyers it is better to meet with the actual lawyer and not his assisstant ,paralegal or his debt counseler.

Comment

Interesting! Good info thanks OICU. I just checked that review site and his name is listed 5 times with different variations of spelling out or abbreviating middle name. 4 of the show ok but one has MISCONDUCT!!

Oh Noooo!! Now i am freaking out! Still have not heard back from him. I have been hesitant to call and nag based off this post but today i will light up his phone until i get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by InOverHead View Post
                        Interesting! Good info thanks OICU. I just checked that review site and his name is listed 5 times with different variations of spelling out or abbreviating middle name. 4 of the show ok but one has MISCONDUCT!!

Oh Noooo!! Now i am freaking out! Still have not heard back from him. I have been hesitant to call and nag based off this post but today i will light up his phone until i get a response.
                        Do you have his email?

Also re "misconduct" - many years ago, I had a lawyer defend me against my local utility for purchase - and he won - (nothing to do with the present BK situation) - at any rate, he has a "misconduct" on his record because he was too "aggressive" for his client...in my state you can look at the details...can you??

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X