DISCHARGED!!! Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DISCHARGED!!! Now what?

Just got it the other day. WOO HOO!!! Man it feels good to be done. We had a great attorney and the process was actually extremely smooth. Now where do we go from here? The situation we're in right now is a bit transitional. My wife is still unemployed-her unemployment ended up being a blessing in disguise because it allowed us to avoid a CH13, but she's been on unemployment for nearly 9 months now and will run out of benefits this November. She is currently in school trying to get her special education certification (she has five years of teaching experience and a Masters in English but was laid off due to budget cuts) in order to make herself more marketable. She has sent out a lot of resumes but no calls yet. Basically the only debt we carried through the BK was our home (we didn't reaffirm of course), a new car that we bought just prior to filing, and student loans. Mine are paid by my employer and hers are currently in deferment due to her unemployment.

The best scenario for us is for her to get hired for the 2013-2014 school year so we're hopeful on that front, but only time will tell. Right now the combination of unemployment and my job allows us to pay the mortgage and the bills and save a little as well. If she is able to go back to work soon we can really kick our six month emergency fund savings into high gear. If she isn't able to go back to work we're probably going to investigate what options are available to us through our state's mortgage assistance program. If that doesn't work we'll have to walk away. Obviously a lot is up in the air right now, but regardless, being free of the credit card debt that was ruling our lives is a major step forward. Our attorney recommended checking our credit at 30 days, 90 days, and one year post discharge. Other than that, what else should be doing/be on the lookout for? We are not planning on taking out any credit cards or attempting to "repair" our credit just yet. I assume that the applications will begin coming in the mail, but the last thing I want to do is charge anything these days. My wife getting a job and saving are our two biggest priorities.

There is nothing to do but work on your fresh start. I agree with your attorney to check credit at 30... and dispute anything not shown as Included In Bankruptcy (IIB). Check again at 90 days, and so on.

Congratulations!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Diesel73L!!!!!

truly SO happy for you!! it's been a long and winding road
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        truly SO happy for you!! it's been a long and winding road
        It sure has. I just looked at my profile and realized that at end of the month it will be TWO YEARS since I first registered here. THANK GOD I found this place. I was terrified of BK before I came here. In the two years since I've learned volumes about not only BK, but finance in general and will now be managing our money the way I should have been from the very beginning. I regret that I had to go through BK to get to this point, but I'm glad that I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel73L View Post
          Just got it the other day. WOO HOO!!! Man it feels good to be done. We had a great attorney and the process was actually extremely smooth. Now where do we go from here? The situation we're in right now is a bit transitional. My wife is still unemployed-her unemployment ended up being a blessing in disguise because it allowed us to avoid a CH13, but she's been on unemployment for nearly 9 months now and will run out of benefits this November. She is currently in school trying to get her special education certification (she has five years of teaching experience and a Masters in English but was laid off due to budget cuts) in order to make herself more marketable. She has sent out a lot of resumes but no calls yet. Basically the only debt we carried through the BK was our home (we didn't reaffirm of course), a new car that we bought just prior to filing, and student loans. Mine are paid by my employer and hers are currently in deferment due to her unemployment.

The best scenario for us is for her to get hired for the 2013-2014 school year so we're hopeful on that front, but only time will tell. Right now the combination of unemployment and my job allows us to pay the mortgage and the bills and save a little as well. If she is able to go back to work soon we can really kick our six month emergency fund savings into high gear. If she isn't able to go back to work we're probably going to investigate what options are available to us through our state's mortgage assistance program. If that doesn't work we'll have to walk away. Obviously a lot is up in the air right now, but regardless, being free of the credit card debt that was ruling our lives is a major step forward. Our attorney recommended checking our credit at 30 days, 90 days, and one year post discharge. Other than that, what else should be doing/be on the lookout for? We are not planning on taking out any credit cards or attempting to "repair" our credit just yet. I assume that the applications will begin coming in the mail, but the last thing I want to do is charge anything these days. My wife getting a job and saving are our two biggest priorities.

i don't know where you are. i know both my kids, i have a son and daughter married 1st grade teachers. my SIL has a duel masters in education and special ed. it HURT him more than helped him in nj because master level hires had to earn more, it was a mandate. so of course with all the budget cuts he couldn't get a job. my daughter has a PhD and can work anywhere, but her field after all that schooling pays terrible, but it's what she loves so they deal with the terrible pay. or lets say we do, since we have to help them monthly with their own child care expenses...it's over 2k a month for both their kids in day care and pre school. unreal.

they moved to NC in search of a job for him since in NC they were hurting for teachers he got so many offers it was unreal. they did a land contract on their home in nj and packed up and left for NC with all these teaching jobs lined up. and, it didn't take long to find out exactly WHY there were so many openings. NC has no collective bargaining, teachers have no security and get paid terrible. while he was offered 5 jobs the one he took, he ended up that first year getting laid off!!! after everything they did, what a mess. he ended up these past two years at a charter school, better pay and better benefits but....enrollment is down and once again he is not certain they are going to renew his contract. there is NO tenure...NONE....so my entire point of my very long story is, be careful about what job she takes. also in NC they all get paid terrible and most gave nothing extra for his masters, except this one, which i think he maybe makes 2k more for having it.

on the other hand the medical, dental, and other benies are excellent, so you have to weigh out the entire situation. i just hope your wife can find something that will be "solid". also, my son in law tutors, doesn't pay excellent but word gets around and he does have a waiting list for kids. he doesn't make much extra but enough to help with the grocery bills. that might be a way for her to start, he ran an ad on craigs list for the tutoring and has 3 kids now, but that's all he wants because they themselves have a 3 and 4 year old.

also, the government did extend unemployment benefits back to 99 weeks right??? i know when we got it, it was for almost 2 years, gave us some time to breath, in our case it gave us enough time for my dh to turn ss age and begin to collect. although not planned, for us it couldn't have turned out any better. plus, we are at the age where no one wants to hire us, although i do contract work for hoa's and right now 4 law firms. it helps!

best of luck to you! i know something will turn up. the coolest part of all of this, is we are saving money now, every month no matter what and it feels so excellent!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am especially happy for your good news. It has been a torturous journey! Here you go:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Congratulations!! Take some time to breathe, your next steps will be a bit clearer.

Comment

Wonderful News

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Donning my dance shoes and getting down with a great big Jersey boogie!
                    Congrats on your fresh start!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X