Bank holding vehicle title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank holding vehicle title

I am still in the Chapter13 payments. I moved from AR to MS. I bought the vehicle in AR prior to filing. SO, no problem titling the vehicle at purchase. Now I am in MS and need to buy MS tags. The MS revenue depth has sent the bank two letters asking for title for the purposes of tagging the vehicle. Standard procedure. However, evidently, the bank is ignoring the state's request. Therefore the state will not allow me to tag the vehicle. Unbelievable!!!!!

What recourse do I have with the bank? I have called, called and called the bank and the state. THE bank has told me they would send a copy of the title to the state because the vehicle is a "special asset." This has been going for months now. NOW my tag is expired.

Edit to add: The vehicle is in the plan. After reviewing my bankruptcy payment disbursements..... the bank has been paid 100% for months now. But I am not even asking for the title for myself.... but for it to be sent to the state as with all vehicles with a lien. Thanks.
    Last edited by Lefty13; 03-03-2014, 04:04 PM.

Have you asked your attorney for help? That's the only suggestion I can come up with.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Already tried that. Bank told the attorney same thing they told me........they don't release title on "special assets" to anyone, including the state. The bank is being an ### just to be an ###. A bank that has been paid 100%. I was hoping maybe someone had a link to some "go by" letters and etc. to demand tag or remind the bank of their obligation to abide by federal and state law regardless of my financial situation????

Another reason to not file kids. Or at least if you file, don't move until you are out of the plan. Finding a new place to live, get utilities, vehicle tags and etc etc become very very complicated with a BK on your credit.

Comment

It's hard to believe the MS MVC doesn't issue what is called a "registration only" tag, in other words if the bank won't comply with the title, MS MVC would issue you a tag for a year and when that tag expires you sign an affidavit that the bank still won't release the title. I'm sure in your case the bank would be more than happy to provide you with a letterhead statement to this fact. I can't believe MS MVC hasn't dealt with this situation in the past and doesn't have some sort of temporary solution. If not, there must be quite a few cars driven in MS with expired tags......
        However this is the procedure in Florida where I live and every state has different tag and title statutes.
        Have you thought about renewing your tag in your previous state if you haven't switched to a MS insurance policy?
        Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Other States also have "lien only" tags where they do not have the actual title!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X