Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application Fee Waiver Hearing

Hi Everyone!

Recently I filed Chapter 7 without an attorney. When I filed I filled out forms to apply for the court fee waiver. Today, I was going to through my mail and got a notice that there will be a hearing. Is this hearing something I need to show up to, and, if so, what should I bring? I was under the impression that the decision was based upon the information contained within the paperwork that has already been filed. If that's the case, would it even be beneficial for me to be present during the hearing?

I am hoping this is something I can skip as I am quite intimidated of the courthouse and this whole process in general.

Thanks!
    08.28.09 - Filed Chapter 7
    10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
    12.18.09 - Anticipating Discharge!!!
    12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Originally posted by jonathan View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Today, I was going to through my mail and got a notice that there will be a hearing. Is this hearing something I need to show up to,
    Most certainly. And judges are notorious for their lack of a sense of humor when movants fail to appear. So be sure to be there.

and, if so, what should I bring?
    Evidence of your income and expenses and household size. Evidence of the value of any property you own.

I am hoping this is something I can skip as I am quite intimidated of the courthouse and this whole process in general.
    Everyone is their first time. But you get over it.

You have to be less than 150% of poverty level to waive the fee entirely. If you are above that, but cannot afford to pay the fee all at one time, you will have to set up an installment schedule.
    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

You absolutely need to show up! This is when the Judge determines whether you are exempt from paying the filing fees. Sometimes, they don't hold a hearing, but it could just be local rule that requires a hearing.

Be prepared to answer questions about your job, lack of job, income, etc. The Judge will determine whether you have to pay the fees or not. If you don't show up, they'll probably enter an order denying your application.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        You absolutely need to show up! This is when the Judge determines whether you are exempt from paying the filing fees. Sometimes, they don't hold a hearing, but it could just be local rule that requires a hearing.

Be prepared to answer questions about your job, lack of job, income, etc. The Judge will determine whether you have to pay the fees or not. If you don't show up, they'll probably enter an order denying your application.
        Closely followd by dismissal if you don't make satisfactory arrangements to pay them in full or at least in installments.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I would suggest that a couple of days before the hearing, you familiarize yourself with the standards for granting fee waivers. In fact, know so much about those standards that the judge could not help but be damn impressed. Then tell him something like: "I aways wanted to work as a law clerk to a bankruptcy judge. Oh, I just remembered, I have copy of my resume in by briefcase. May I approach, your honor?" Then slip him that resume.

Never know what it might lead to.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate your help.
            10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
            12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

eli4625

What did you submit to request the fee to be wavied. I am considering it, but I am not below the 150%, but presently I only bring home $1280 a month of which $585 goes to rent, $100 for gas/electric, $45 car insurance, $45 TV, $30 water and $50 for student loan. That only leaves me about $425 a month to live on for food, gas and such. I am also spending about $100 a month right now on repairs on the used car I bought, so I am considering seeking to have the fee wavied. So I was just wondering besides filling out the form, what other items did you include?

Comment

Originally posted by indy4192 View Post
                What did you submit to request the fee to be wavied.
                It's a standard (official) form and you can find it on the U.S. Bankruptcy Court's main site under Official Forms.

Originally posted by indy4192 View Post
                I am considering it, but I am not below the 150%, but presently I only bring home $1280 a month of which $585 goes to rent, $100 for gas/electric, $45 car insurance, $45 TV, $30 water and $50 for student loan. That only leaves me about $425 a month to live on for food, gas and such. I am also spending about $100 a month right now on repairs on the used car I bought, so I am considering seeking to have the fee wavied. So I was just wondering besides filling out the form, what other items did you include?
                From what I know, the Court doesn't care what you spend and how that's eating up your money. The Court cares more about the 150% limit.

You will be able to pay in installments (4 installments). You can file and then make 4 payments of about $75 each. The clerk sets the dates, and you have 120 days to make the final payment (unless the Court extends it upon request).
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

my experience...hope it helps

I hope that link works, this is my recent experience, went very well for us, good luck!
                  8-4-09 Filed pro se Chap 7 (I still can NOT believe I took that first step!:blink:)
                  8-25-09 Approved to proceed in forma pauperis.:unsure:
                  9-8-09 :dry:Trustee's Report of No Distribution.
                  11-18-09 :yahoo: Discharged! :clapping:

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it was a standard form that you fill out. I'm sure you will be able to find it online, but, if not, I would be surprised if you couldn't get a copy of the from the courthouse when you drop off you paperwork... it only takes a minute to fill out.

Good Luck!
                    10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
                    12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

Do they wave chapter 13 file fee? I see the 7.
                      Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
                        Do they wave chapter 13 file fee? I see the 7.
                        You can't waive a Chapter 13 filing fee, since it's a wage earner's program, and suggests that you actually have regular income.

You can, however, pay the Chapter 13 filing fee in installments upon application to the Court.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          You can't waive a Chapter 13 filing fee, since it's a wage earner's program, and suggests that you actually have regular income.

You can, however, pay the Chapter 13 filing fee in installments upon application to the Court.
                          I am trying to delay a credit card from getting a judgment. They filed a civil lawsuit in PA. I have 20 days to do something.

I wonder if I ask for validation of the debt?

I dont want them to take my house. Unsecured credit card. My mortgage payments are all up to date.
                          Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post

I dont want them to take my house. Unsecured credit card. My mortgage payments are all up to date.

I was under the impression that since unsecured credit isn't attached to anything in particular the issuer would be unable to do anything beyond wage garnishment or possibly place a lien on your property. I don't think that they would be able to take your house.
                            10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
                            12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan View Post
                              I was under the impression that since unsecured credit isn't attached to anything in particular the issuer would be unable to do anything beyond wage garnishment or possibly place a lien on your property. I don't think that they would be able to take your house.
                              it depends on what State you live in!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X