top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I list a debt and not know the amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I list a debt and not know the amount?

Hello,

I've been in touch with my creditors gathering all of the information so I can file my bankruptcy. One, which is a tuition debt, has been sold off to a collection agency. When I asked the representative if he had the original balance, he said that he couldn't release any information on the account!

So, I'm wondering, since I REALLY don't wanna call another collection agency and have them hound me since I got a new phone number, can I just list the university and the collection agency on my bankruptcy without knowing the debt amount and still have it discharged?

Thanks!
    Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
    Discharged: 03/29/2011

I would list an estimated amount. I have a few debts that I don't know the exact amount. But I know the approximate amount. For one, I remember a few years ago receiving a collection from a gym membership. I remember the bill being around $1000. So I just put $1000.

They are just going to go buy your social anyway.

But is this a student loan? Those are not discharged. I'm not sure what you mean by "tuition debt."
    I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
    Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Originally posted by dumpinmydebt View Post
      I would list an estimated amount. I have a few debts that I don't know the exact amount. But I know the approximate amount. For one, I remember a few years ago receiving a collection from a gym membership. I remember the bill being around $1000. So I just put $1000.

They are just going to go buy your social anyway.

But is this a student loan? Those are not discharged. I'm not sure what you mean by "tuition debt."
      Hi,

Thanks for the advise. In regards to the "tuition debt", that's what they call it because I had to drop out in mid-semester and evidently had unearned credits, so they prorated for what I had earned during the semester and charged me for the rest, which I estimate at around 2100.00.
      Sounds complicated, I know. To my understanding, since it involved tuition and fees, then it doesn't fall under the category of a student loan, which in this case should be dischargeable. At least that's what the school and a few lawyers told me.

Comment

yes...you can list a debt and even write in amount as " unknown".....just as long as it's listed and you have provided the correct account number and address for the creditor.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Well you are lucky that it is a collection agency. I didn't finish a class a few years ago and my state's dept of revenue just garnished my property tax refund. I was making payments too!
          Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Unless you're filing for a Chapter 13, putting $1 and the words "unknown" (in the description box), is okay. The key is "scheduling" the debt. They do like to have real numbers for statistical purposes and for Chapter 13s, to determine whether you qualify.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              Unless you're filing for a Chapter 13, putting $1 and the words "unknown" (in the description box), is okay. The key is "scheduling" the debt. They do like to have real numbers for statistical purposes and for Chapter 13s, to determine whether you qualify.
              yes, we were a chapter 7....and i was so OCD i wanted everything "exact" and the atty kept telling me.....just put unknown...i'm NOT liking the "unknown"...LOL!! but it was explained as long as they arel listed on the petition it's fine.
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

My $0.02... Just estimate and you should be fine. That is what I did, and all is going well for me so far.
                Filed Pro-Se 8/19/2010 - 341 Meeting 9/20/2010 - Notice of no distribution 9/22/2010
                12/06/2010 !!

Comment

I had a possible lawsuit and we put unknown for each possible plaintiff. For some soon to be mailed hospital bills, I overstated by a gazillion dollars, cause when did you ever get a hospital bill for less than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by dspii View Post
                    I had a possible lawsuit and we put unknown for each possible plaintiff. For some soon to be mailed hospital bills, I overstated by a gazillion dollars, cause when did you ever get a hospital bill for less than expected.
                    yes....we did that also....i rounded UP...like a gazillion dollars...but probably i was right on after the interest and the fees etc!

Comment

Originally posted by dspii View Post
                      I overstated by a gazillion dollars, cause when did you ever get a hospital bill for less than expected.
                      Good point! I have several hospital bills as well, so I'm not too worried about overshooting the amount, because we all know to aim high with their outrageous amounts!

Comment

Originally posted by bkDude View Post
                        My $0.02... Just estimate and you should be fine. That is what I did, and all is going well for me so far.
                        Sounds good to me! For most of what I have, I know the exact figure, but with the one or two I'm not sure about, I think I have a fairly good estimate.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X