Declaration fro bankruptcy filers who do not have an attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declaration fro bankruptcy filers who do not have an attorney

My meeting of creditors was a couple weeks ago. I just received a letter in the mail from the united states department of justice office (of the united states trustee district of oregon). It is a letter addressing debtor victimization and requires that I fill out a "declaration for bankruptcy filers who do not have an attorney" and return it to the office of the united states trustee by a certain date. It directs any questions i may have to the attorney for the united states trustee. I'm wondering 1) why am i getting this form? and 2)why can i find no information from anyone else who received this form?

Sounds like your district is having an issue with document preparers overcharging or giving legal advice. The UST investigates violation of 11 USC 110 ("Penalty for persons who negligently or fraudulently prepare bankruptcy petitions").

If you used a document preparation service you should fill out the form.

Des.

Comment

My District was handing out those forms at the 341 Meeting of Creditors. The Office of the United States Trustee (OUST) is going after so-called document preparers who provide legal advice or over-charge for their services.

I completed mine at my Chapter 7 341 Meeting and only had to complete the first couple of lines since I used neither a paralegal nor a document preparer.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I believe you were supposed to have included this form in your original filing. If you didn't, this may be why you are getting it now. They just want to make sure you understand your rights.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X