Are you one of the six?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you one of the six?

I just got off the phone with my trustee's council and he told me that they attended a conference and were told that post BAPCA, there have only been six Pro Se filers nationwide to have their Chapter 13 plans confirmed. He is laying a wager that I might be the only one to possibly make it to discharge.

I know justbroke is one, and I am one. Are the other four on this board?

I question that stat? But interesting if true.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      I question that stat? But interesting if true.
      (shrug) I only know what he told me, and the info was from a Trustee's conference. I wasn't invited lol. BAPCA was 1995, and two years ago I was the first Pro Se filer in my district, for sure to successfully get a Chapter 13 confirmed after BAPCA. Seems to me we are plenty few and far between.

This guy also mentioned that he thought I was nuts. (Not really. Not those exact works lol.) But he did say I picked just about the toughest area of law there is to practice pro se. He also told me that my paperwork looked better than more than half of what attorneys send his way. I was pretty jazzed by the compliment.
      Last edited by tigergem; 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
        I know justbroke is one, and I am one.
        Fascinating! But not surprising that you and justbroke are in the mix. You two are geniuses...seriously!

Lala
        This forum is full of amazingly talented, intelligent and caring people.
        Ch7 BK filed Pro se: 6/2011; 341 Meeting: 7/2011; Assets abandoned; Report of No Distribution: 8/2011; Discharged and closed 9/2011.

Comment

That can't be true, because that would mean TWO of us are on this board! (Tigergem and I.) And, for the record, I didn't make it to a Chapter 13 discharge, but I successfully converted and received a Chapter 7 discharge.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            That can't be true, because that would mean TWO of us are on this board! (Tigergem and I.) And, for the record, I didn't make it to a Chapter 13 discharge, but I successfully converted and received a Chapter 7 discharge.
            But your 13 plan was confirmed, wasn't it? This is about CH13 plan confirmations is how I read it.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              But your 13 plan was confirmed, wasn't it? This is about CH13 plan confirmations is how I read it.
              Yes, I am a Pro Se Confirmed Chapter 13 Conversion to Chapter 7 and Discharged case! (Whew, that's a mouthful!)
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Right, the trustee's council was speaking about Pro Se Ch. 13 confirmations only. I inferred from his "wager" that I might be the first one to make it to discharge that there have been no Pro Se Ch. 13 discharges yet. Nationwide. Since BAPCA.

Comment

If I had known it was a race to the finish, I would have stayed in the race against my worthy opponent, tigergem!

Comment

If I had known it was a race to the finish, I would have stayed in the race against my worthy opponent, tigergem!
                    I was wondering if you were the first to be confirmed! And then the reality of the whole thing sunk in after I got off the phone with him. I mean... that's a lot of pressure isn't it? lol! Kinda cool, kinda proud of the achievement, but still...

Comment

Well, I did a 13 from start to finish, including a confirmed Plan with not a peep from the Trustee, and am discharged for almost a year...so that race was over last year, if it even was one...

John
                      Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

I do question the statistic and wonder if it was just anecdotal at that.

Comment

Well, I do know I was the first that the attorney for my trustee had seen get from file to finish, and did get a compliment on the quality and speed with which I took care of business..but being one of only 6, I would think those attorneys might have been hoping those were the numbers, since a lot of them are headed to bankruptcy law practice, and if "nearly no one can possibly do this pro se" that makes them feel better about their prospects for future earnings. Just a thought to ponder..

John
                          Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

Great point John! Great point. I know that I personally received a compliment and a handshake from the senior and most respected debtor attorney in my District after getting my plan confirmed! Not only that, another attorney asked if they could use some of the language in my plan into the Districts model plan regarding how payments to the Trustee are treated.

I didn't know if they were just being patronizing, or if it was genuine. I'm starting to believe it was the latter.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time my Trustee's office has been wrong about something, now would it? ;-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X