Are you one of the six?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time my Trustee's office has been wrong about something, now would it? ;-)
    Very true

The average pro se rate, OVERALL is about 9-10%. I imagine the vast majority are chapter 7's.

The more I think about it, the number is somewhat plausible, because in most major filing areas, someone can always find an cheap (lousy) attorney willing to do the case for peanuts up front and for most chapter 13 filers, cost isn't really the issue, after all, if you must/can do chapter 13, you are NOT BROKE, you have income, you have money. Also, every chapter 13 trustee/attorney always encourages pro se filers to get an attorney and usually after the first dismissal, the would be pro se 13'r does get an attorny However, 6 confirmed plans, nationwide, by pro se filers, that is still a bit tough to swallow, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

I agree with HHM that 6 is in the realm of possibility because people filing Chap 13 are more likely to hire an attorney. I considered doing my own Chap 13 and think I could have handled it. But, when I realized that most of my attorney fees would be included in the plan and what didn't go to the attorney would go to unsecured creditors I decided it was well worth the $1,000 retainer to not have to spend the time and go through the stress of doing it myself.

It also wouldn't surprise me if 1/2 of the Pro Se debtors whose Chap 13 plans were confirmed are members of bkforum. It is a great source of information!
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

It also wouldn't surprise me if 1/2 of the Pro Se debtors whose Chap 13 plans were confirmed are members of bkforum. It is a great source of information!
        PM me and I will tell you where to send the checks

Comment

My little pro se practice is thriving. I also won a suit I filed against Verizon (just before I filed my Ch 13 actually. I informed the Trustee and he wasn't interested.) and just last week Bank of America settled with me out of court. Now how do I collect fees from my favorite most client? Oh. Wow. hahaha. I just opened the mail and found another settlement check from Affinity Group. These are not like huge life changing amounts, by the way... small claims types of stuff that they "think" they can get away with.
          Last edited by tigergem; 09-20-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Congratulations on even the small victories!!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by hhm View Post
              pm me and i will tell you where to send the checks
              lol!
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X