Attn: Unemployed & Tier 5 Extension Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    I totally agree. I made some *interesting* comments as I read that while formatting the page for posting.
    it's just so funny that they consider us customers....what the heck??? but you know, "customer"...."cattle"....i guess it's just their "term" for us unemployed humans??
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I guess I am glad that I can claim my weeks via the Internet, and don't have to deal with a real, live person. In years past, when I have had to claim unemployment, I had to go appear in person before a minimum wage clerk, every two weeks. Though we were getting 'our own money' that had been taken out of our checks by our employers for that unemployment insurance, the clerks would look down their noses at us as though we were the 'scum of the earth'.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I guess I am glad that I can claim my weeks via the Internet, and don't have to deal with a real, live person. In years past, when I have had to claim unemployment, I had to go appear in person before a minimum wage clerk, every two weeks. Though we were getting 'our own money' that had been taken out of our checks by our employers for that unemployment insurance, the clerks would look down their noses at us as though we were the 'scum of the earth'.
        actually, we have been so fortunate in as much as the unemployment office personnel, they have been so kind...actually we do our claims via internet and the supervisor of that office in another state...gave us her personal number so we could reach her. also the vets admin. personnel have been great.

her reaction to the stopping of the extension was giving us the the local congressman phone number! she further explained she has people going hungry...no housing...no place to go if they can't pay their rents with their ui insurance....it's really sad.

we lived in a county that had many poor....and many well to do ...so they are seeing some really sad situations come out of this. it's so scary.

like i have said before we are luckier than most with a small pension and early ss...we can manage just barely without the funds...not like many would will not be able to.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          Those over 50 now who are unemployed may need to resign themselves to the fact that they may totally need to change careers and out of fields in which they have degrees, experience, etc. and try to get into the health care arena where the jobs will increase. Believe it or not, the funeral arena will be another boom area also.
          Absolutely true. The other thing to consider is starting your own business. DH has gotten so fed up with looking for work, and he's convinced that many of the jobs in his industry aren't coming back ever, so he's working on this right now. It's very slow progress because he has zero investment capital, but everything he makes goes right back into the business and it's gradually building. The main requirement for the business is time, and he's got plenty of that.

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          Also if necessary people need to realize they may have to move in with family or go on public assistance if there are no jobs. The moving in with family is occurring like crazy right now and multi-generation housing is the new wave for construction out there due to all this.
          Another excellent point. This is fairly common in European countries because housing is so expensive, and we Americans may need to figure out how to do it too. Barring the unforeseen, we won't have to move in with family, but my 18-yr-old DS may not be able to move out when he finishes high school this spring. He's been looking for work for the past year, and the only thing available is less than 15 hours a week and below minimum wage. Even with roommates, there's no way he can survive on that.
          DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

I feel for all of you that have posted your personal stories. This post by AngelinaCat troubled me.

I too have paid into the unemployment fund for over 20 years, as well as 50% added by the employers for all those years.

My girlfriend has been unemployed for a long period as well and she can't qualify for unemployment. So I help her wherever I can and we look for clever ways to lower our expenses.

I was watching Rachel Maddow last night and she was mentioning how the democrats still have power as lame ducks until January 1st and that they should use this time to try to push through unemployment and other social programs while they still have a chance. I was posting earlier that compromise with the republicans by accepting some of their agenda will be the only way to get some of this legislation through. But I hope congress just rams this unemployment extension through while they still have a chance. Whats the worst that can happen, they get some backlash from the other side? That's happening on a daily basis anyways, so why not use this last time slot to help us out.

Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

Here is what is posted on the Florida website. This updated as of November 8, 2010:

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION HOT TOPICS

Important Dates for Unemployment Compensation Beneficiaries

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)

* November 20, 2010 – Under current federal law, customers receiving regular state unemployment benefits must exhaust those benefits by the week ending November 20, 2010 to be eligible for additional federal EUC benefits.

* November 27, 2010 - Under current federal law, customers already receiving federal EUC benefits may be eligible for the next tier (EUC Tiers II, III, or IV) provided their previous tier is exhausted by the week ending November 27, 2010.

* November 28, 2010 - Under current federal law, whichever tier EUC customers are in as of November 28, 2010 will be the final tier for which they will qualify. While EUC customers will be allowed to complete their current tier, they will not be able to advance to the next tier.

* April 30, 2011 - Under current federal law, EUC benefits will not be paid after the week ending April 30, 2011.

* At this time, no additional EUC benefits have been enacted by Congress. Only the federal government can extend the EUC program.

* The Agency for Workforce Innovation will notify customers by mail when they receive their final EUC payments.

Extended Benefits (EB)

* November 27, 2010 - Under current law, customers who exhaust all entitlement to regular state benefits and EUC by the week ending November 27, 2010 can establish eligibility for EB.

* December 4, 2010 – Due to federal funding limitations, Extended Benefits (EB) will no longer be paid after the week ending December 4, 2010. Amounts remaining on customers’ EB accounts beyond the week ending December 4 will no longer be payable.

* The Agency for Workforce Innovation will notify customers by mail when they receive their final EB payments.

Federal Additional Compensation (FAC)

* December 11, 2010 - Under current federal law, FAC (the additional $25 weekly benefits) will not be paid after the week ending December 11, 2010.

* The Agency for Workforce Innovation will notify customers by mail when they receive their final FAC payments.

Updated November 8, 2010

http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/hottopics.html

Comment

...and FYI, the bill in Congress is not retroactive, so if you run out of benefits b4 they get it passed (if they pass it) there is no coverage for the gap.

Not only contact your Senators, but send a message to the Senators on the Finance Committee, get the bill onto the floor for a vote !!

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Here is what EDD website for California is saying:

No Impact for Customers who have Run Out of Maximum Benefits

The federal legislation signed by President Obama does not have an effect on the almost 237,000 individuals in California who have already run out of the maximum amount of extension benefits available. That maximum remains up to 99 weeks of benefits. A new bill was just introduced in Congress that would add an additional tier of extension benefits but there are no reports yet of any significant movement on the bill. EDD will be closely monitoring any developments on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                  once they terminate all the what happens to the stats on unemployment????????? who's keeping accurate records NOW about the unemployment rate.

of course once WE are now UNCOUNTED what is that going to do with the unemployment numbers....ahhhhhhhhhh....let's see now...GUESS what they go down.....NO NEW jobs..NOPE...but once people are off the roles who's counting them in the unemployment figures.

sooooo then all the politicians can now say...SEE unemployment was at 9.6% and now we are at 5%....because the other 4.6% are in the streets and in food lines....it's just a wonderful Christmas present to all....
                  Unemployment Insurance is NOT used by the BLS to calculate national unemployment numbers. So all your questions and comments above are mute. It's a common misconception that UI determines the unemployment rate among Internet laymen (and laywomen). Not sure why that is. No matter how long you have been unemployed you are counted as long as you still want to and are able to work, in one or more of the U-1 through U-6 unemployment categories. The BLS explains it all very clearly here:

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and because it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940 when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. It has been expanded and modified several times since then.

What do the unemployment insurance (UI) figures measure?
                  The UI figures are not produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Statistics on insured unemployment in the United States are collected as a by-product of UI programs. Workers who lose their jobs and are covered by these programs typically file claims ("initial claims") that serve as notice that they are beginning a period of unemployment. Claimants who qualify for benefits are counted in the insured unemployment figures (as "continued claims"). Data on UI claims are maintained by the Employment and Training Administration, an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor, and are available on the Internet at: http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims.asp .
                  [NOTE: weekly unemployment insurance claims issued by each state are unrelated to the monthly BLS unemployment rates. You appear to be mixing up two entirely different set of numbers.]

The UI data are NOT used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:

* Unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits.
                  * Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force).
                  * Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job.
                  * Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits.

Much more information here in this FAQ: http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm
                  “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I am really concerned about this because when my benefits run out, I won't have a spouse's income to assist me. But yet, I still need to buy medications, food etc.
                    Don
                    Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                    Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
                      Unemployment Insurance is NOT used by the BLS to calculate national unemployment numbers. So all your questions and comments above are mute. It's a common misconception that UI determines the unemployment rate among Internet laymen (and laywomen). Not sure why that is. No matter how long you have been unemployed you are counted as long as you still want to and are able to work, in one or more of the U-1 through U-6 unemployment categories. The BLS explains it all very clearly here:

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and because it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940 when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. It has been expanded and modified several times since then.

What do the unemployment insurance (UI) figures measure?
                      The UI figures are not produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Statistics on insured unemployment in the United States are collected as a by-product of UI programs. Workers who lose their jobs and are covered by these programs typically file claims ("initial claims") that serve as notice that they are beginning a period of unemployment. Claimants who qualify for benefits are counted in the insured unemployment figures (as "continued claims"). Data on UI claims are maintained by the Employment and Training Administration, an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor, and are available on the Internet at: http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims.asp .
                      [NOTE: weekly unemployment insurance claims issued by each state are unrelated to the monthly BLS unemployment rates. You appear to be mixing up two entirely different set of numbers.]

The UI data are NOT used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:

* Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force).
                      * Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job.
                      * Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits.

Much more information here in this FAQ: http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm
                      good morning whatmoney....it's so nice to see you!!

i appreciate and respect your confidence in our governments stats...and their supposed methodology in the collecting of such data.

there is absolutely no way that they can keep accurate statistics on those that have dropped off the rolls and sailed into the river of flame and fire. i also appreciate your generous believe that everything "they" write with respect to the information obtained by the "Employment and Training Administration, an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor", as correct and righteous.

but it's simply not....and actually based on the information you have provided MANY are being left out of the actual "number"....it may even be upwards of over 13% for all we know once we add in ,

self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:

* Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits
                      Last edited by tobee43; 11-11-2010, 07:36 AM. Reason: typos r me

Comment

I have to agree with tobee43 in the fact that I took an economics class last year, and the teacher and book stated that unemployment statistics do not calculate those that fall off the unemployment payroll or those that say take a part time job at Walmart making a fraction of what they made when they were full time with a true career.

This is how I was able to run calculations in class showing that if unemployment was quoted as say 9%, it was really around 17.5%, possibly a couple points higher. So right now, I would go with 17% or higher as the TRUE unemployment rate.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                          I have to agree with tobee43 in the fact that I took an economics class last year, and the teacher and book stated that unemployment statistics do not calculate those that fall off the unemployment payroll or those that say take a part time job at Walmart making a fraction of what they made when they were full time with a true career.

This is how I was able to run calculations in class showing that if unemployment was quoted as say 9%, it was really around 17.5%, possibly a couple points higher. So right now, I would go with 17% or higher as the TRUE unemployment rate.
                          that is an alarming "real" number to swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                            I am really concerned about this because when my benefits run out, I won't have a spouse's income to assist me. But yet, I still need to buy medications, food etc.
                            doni49, I am in an identical position as you. My girlfriend does not get unemployment compensation, so I too will be pretty screwed. I need this discharge to take effect ASAP ANDDDDDDDD I need to stay in my house as long as possible, WHILLLLLE I try to find a job ASAP, THENNNNNNN find a place to rent ASAP!!!!!

Lets go through this complicated set of steps and the order it has to work for me:

1. Discharge quickly
                            2. Unemployment extension - please please please continue it using Tier 5 extension
                            3. Stay in my house as long as possible while looking for job
                            4. Find a job
                            5. Find a place to rent

I will burn through cash at a fast rate as soon as UI expires in a few weeks, then I will go insanely fast through cash if I lose this house.

This is very scary!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                              that is an alarming "real" number to swallow.
                              tobee43, I remember having this exact discussion with the professor, and one of the interesting subjects that came up was discussing people that simply gave up looking for jobs, so they were no longer counted in the statistics, those that were forced to take that really cheap job instead of the higher career salary they were normally earning. We also discussed how many people would end up say living on their brothers couch or moving back in with their parents (not counted).

I agree with you, very scary.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                                doni49, I am in an identical position as you. My girlfriend does not get unemployment compensation, so I too will be pretty screwed. I need this discharge to take effect ASAP ANDDDDDDDD I need to stay in my house as long as possible, WHILLLLLE I try to find a job ASAP, THENNNNNNN find a place to rent ASAP!!!!!

Lets go through this complicated set of steps and the order it has to work for me:

1. Discharge quickly
                                2. Unemployment extension - please please please continue it using Tier 5 extension
                                3. Stay in my house as long as possible while looking for job
                                4. Find a job
                                5. Find a place to rent

I will burn through cash at a fast rate as soon as UI expires in a few weeks, then I will go insanely fast through cash if I lose this house.

This is very scary!!!
                                you have to HOLD tight helpme...i know it's a hard thing to do.

i like your list...it's looking good for me!! hope for you, it goes exactly like you have listed.

one thing i do want to mention as well......we never rec'd the 99 weeks.....we are cut off over 50 weeks early because of the nov cut off date...slapped hard...we feel.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X