No announcement yet.

Attn: Unemployed & Tier 5 Extension Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one thing i do want to mention as well......we never rec'd the 99 weeks.....we are cut off over 50 weeks early because of the nov cut off date...slapped hard...we feel.
    Tobee43, I really feel for you. Yikes, I thought it could go the full 99 weeks, at least for those states with high unemployment rates. So the Nov 30th really is a serious cut off for everyone, no matter what extension level they are at???

I will be looking at federal assistance programs in December that may help a small amount with assistance, but if they don't extend this, that is going to really put me in a scary situation.

The timing of these steps is so scary because you don't know when any of them are going to happen or if they will happen in that order. I can only imagine how many millions of people fall into a similar situation as us.

I don't even want to mention a list of stressful items, such as the arguments I get into with my girlfriend because of a tight budget, the stress of seeing family and them asking about your situation (or praying for you to get a job at the dinner table on Thanksgiving, while they are doing financially well, etc. etc. etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
      tobee43, I remember having this exact discussion with the professor, and one of the interesting subjects that came up was discussing people that simply gave up looking for jobs, so they were no longer counted in the statistics, those that were forced to take that really cheap job instead of the higher career salary they were normally earning. We also discussed how many people would end up say living on their brothers couch or moving back in with their parents (not counted).

I agree with you, very scary.
      and, i also believe your figures to much for accurate...it is discussed and examined in miro-economics even closer...but you had a good professor!!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee43, I really feel for you. Yikes, I thought it could go the full 99 weeks, at least for those states with high unemployment rates. So the Nov 30th really is a serious cut off for everyone, no matter what extension level they are at???

I will be looking at federal assistance programs in December that may help a small amount with assistance, but if they don't extend this, that is going to really put me in a scary situation.

The timing of these steps is so scary because you don't know when any of them are going to happen or if they will happen in that order. I can only imagine how many millions of people fall into a similar situation as us.

I don't even want to mention a list of stressful items, such as the arguments I get into with my girlfriend because of a tight budget, the stress of seeing family and them asking about your situation (or praying for you to get a job at the dinner table on Thanksgiving, while they are doing financially well, etc. etc. etc.).
        helpme...i don't think in all our our years together we have fought and argued as much as we have in these past 24 months...thankfully we are JUST calming down...but it's been a rough ride even for the strongest relationships.

yes, we called the ui office and she said nov. is IT....for us (last check i think issued the first week in dec), and we should have 50 more weeks left to hit that magic 99 number that everyone refers to. we also thought we just caught in the crossfires of the bill and we would be included by somehow being grandfathered in...in other words right in the middle of us collecting.

apparently, according to her ...no way...since we were in the 2nd tier...that's it..
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          helpme...i don't think in all our our years together we have fought and argued as much as we have in these past 24 months...thankfully we are JUST calming down...but it's been a rough ride even for the strongest relationships.

yes, we called the ui office and she said nov. is IT....for us (last check i think issued the first week in dec), and we should have 50 more weeks left to hit that magic 99 number that everyone refers to. we also thought we just caught in the crossfires of the bill and we would be included by somehow being grandfathered in...in other words right in the middle of us collecting.

apparently, according to her ...no way...since we were in the 2nd tier...that's it..
          Tobee, this is why I posted up this thread. I am hoping with hope that they pass
          S.3706 Americans Want to Work Act (to extend UI for 5 months) or some other type of emergency UI extension benefits.

I know its not looking very promising, but there is a chance next week and the 29th &
          30th for the bill to be pushed through. This did happen I think during summer when they couldn't pass the extension benefits and I remember the checks stopped coming in for several weeks or so. This was another reason I filed BK.

But then they pushed through an extension bill.

I know the republicans will push hard again against this extension, but I believe the democrats can use this as a leverage for compromise with bills the republicans want (such as trading the extension of tax benefits for the wealthy for including an extension of UI benefits for the poor). Who knows, just wishful thinking on my part.

Also the house, senate, and presidency are still under control of the democrats for November and December, so even a lame duck congress still has a shot at pushing this through if they push hard. Who knows, just wishful thinking on my part.

Comment

Tobee, this is why I posted up this thread. I am hoping with hope that they pass
            S.3706 Americans Want to Work Act (to extend UI for 5 months) or some other type of emergency UI extension benefits.

I know its not looking very promising, but there is a chance next week and the 29th &
            30th for the bill to be pushed through. This did happen I think during summer when they couldn't pass the extension benefits and I remember the checks stopped coming in for several weeks or so. This was another reason I filed BK.

But then they pushed through an extension bill.

I know the republicans will push hard again against this extension, but I believe the democrats can use this as a leverage for compromise with bills the republicans want (such as trading the extension of tax benefits for the wealthy for including an extension of UI benefits for the poor). Who knows, just wishful thinking on my part.

Also the house, senate, and presidency are still under control of the democrats for November and December, so even a lame duck congress still has a shot at pushing this through if they push hard. Who knows, just wishful thinking on my part.
            it's been an excellent post helpme....we are on the same page here...hoping and pokin that congress will see it's way clear to extend the bill.

it's going to leave a really bad taste in the mouth of many of us going through this, we feel abandoned and really left out in the cold by a government that i first thought would fight hard for the "people"...NOT the banks...and the agi's etc.

i'm NOT asking for any govenment monies here...i just want WHAT WE PAID in...that's it...fair and square.

i'll be thinking those thoughts right along with you helpme!!

Comment

oh!! i posted this "bad" news and really should have just posted it here...

Examiner has transformed into a major player in financial news. Think stocks, crypto, banks - if it's about money, it's on Examiner.com.

Comment

Nov 30th is the cut off for everyone, no matter what extension level they are at. My hubby went to the unemployment office today and was turned away as his 26 weeks don't expire till Monday, so he has to go back on Monday to apply for the 13 week extension. The lady told him today that after that 13 weeks that is it for hubby unless an extension comes up which the UI case worker felt was very unlikely. She told hubby that things will get crazy when you have millions of people with no money. scary indeed

Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

I have to agree with tobee43 in the fact that I took an economics class last year, and the teacher and book stated that unemployment statistics do not calculate those that fall off the unemployment payroll or those that say take a part time job at Walmart making a fraction of what they made when they were full time with a true career.

This is how I was able to run calculations in class showing that if unemployment was quoted as say 9%, it was really around 17.5%, possibly a couple points higher. So right now, I would go with 17% or higher as the TRUE unemployment rate.
                  Well, tobee, you, and that professor are all wrong. That "professor" should have his degree revoked for not understanding how the monthly unemployment rate is calculated from the CPS, and NOT the state UI numbers. This is not a matter of opinion. Give me the professors name and school and I will be happy to question him. Perhaps he is senile.

It could not be explained more clearly than in my prior post here. And tobee you failed to understand anything from my post it appears - since you are still repeating your complete nonsense about the BLS monthly unemployment rate. I hope there is someone reading this thread that can read and comprehend facts.

The 17% rate quoted is the U-6 published monthly by the BLS. Is is NOT based on UI either. See the Unemployment thread sticky for an explanation of this. I am seriously amazed that people can read a factual explanation and STILL come up with the opposite conclusion. It is nothing to be amused about... I'm beginning to appreciate why our founding fathers felt some of the population were not qualified to vote!
                  “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
                    Well, tobee, you, and that professor are all wrong. That "professor" should have his degree revoked for not understanding how the monthly unemployment rate is calculated from the CPS, and NOT the state UI numbers. This is not a matter of opinion. Give me the professors name and school and I will be happy to question him. Perhaps he is senile.

It could not be explained more clearly than in my prior post here. And tobee you failed to understand anything from my post it appears - since you are still repeating your complete nonsense about the BLS monthly unemployment rate. I hope there is someone reading this thread that can read and comprehend facts.

The 17% rate quoted is the U-6 published monthly by the BLS. Is is NOT based on UI either. See the Unemployment thread sticky for an explanation of this. I am seriously amazed that people can read a factual explanation and STILL come up with the opposite conclusion. It is nothing to be amused about... I'm beginning to appreciate why our founding fathers felt some of the population were not qualified to vote!
                    Whatmoney, not to be disrespectful, but you are violating the rules of this board by attacking another member and calling them names. Please read the post by the mod that all of us were required to follow. That 17.5% I quoted is accurate, what my economics professor told me is reality. I'm not sure if I am quoting the Bureau of Labor Statistics in my 17% but this is the real unemployment situation when you factor in true life labor statistics, not the 9% you see quoted in the news.

I also watch C-SPAN, CNBC, CNN, and other news stations on a regular basis. The only station that seems to argue against these stations is FOX, so hopefully you are not quoting from FOX news.

And why are you presenting an argument in this situation? The point of the post is about the high unemployment rate and those on unemployment that may be losing their extensions, not an economics refresher. Those on unemployment are trying to survive and put food on their tables to feed their families, until they are able to find jobs again. Nothing less, nothing more.

Comment

Whatmoney, not to be disrespectful, but you are violating the rules of this board by attacking another member and calling them names. Please read the post by the mod that all of us were required to follow. That 17.5% I quoted is accurate, what my economics professor told me is reality. I'm not sure if I am quoting the Bureau of Labor Statistics in my 17% but this is the real unemployment situation when you factor in true life labor statistics, not the 9% you see quoted in the news.
                      What names am I calling someone? Tobee does not understand how the BLS numbers are collected - I've tried to correct her - but that has proven hopeless - I will not spend any more time on her.

The 17.0% October rate is U-6, as I said before. I suggest you go to the Sticky Employment Thread and look up the U-1 thru U-6 unemployment statistics. U-3 is the rate commonly quoted in the public news. U-6 is the rate you are quoting and includes everyone that wants a job, whether they are collecting Unemployment Insurance or not. UI is not used to calculate the monthly unemployment numbers. Check out the link to the BLS in this thread if you are interested:

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post469670

I have been posting unemployment and economic numbers in the BK forum for years. They are just numbers - but seem to irritate some people on the far-right if the numbers don't always agree with their opinion that the sky is falling.

The point of the post is about the high unemployment rate and those on unemployment that may be losing their extensions, not an economics refresher. Those on unemployment are trying to survive and put food on their tables to feed their families, until they are able to find jobs again. Nothing less, nothing more.
                      I agree - I only posted here because one member was spreading misinformation about the unemployment statistics. I'll go back to Collections now, where I usually hang out.
                      Last edited by WhatMoney; 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM.
                      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by [B
                        helpme2010[/B];472101]Whatmoney, not to be disrespectful, but you are violating the rules of this board by attacking another member and calling them names. Please read the post by the mod that all of us were required to follow. That 17.5% I quoted is accurate, what my economics professor told me is reality. I'm not sure if I am quoting the Bureau of Labor Statistics in my 17% but this is the real unemployment situation when you factor in true life labor statistics, not the 9% you see quoted in the news.

I also watch C-SPAN, CNBC, CNN, and other news stations on a regular basis. The only station that seems to argue against these stations is FOX, so hopefully you are not quoting from FOX news.

And why are you presenting an argument in this situation? The point of the post is about the high unemployment rate and those on unemployment that may be losing their extensions, not an economics refresher. Those on unemployment are trying to survive and put food on their tables to feed their families, until they are able to find jobs again. Nothing less, nothing more.

the point of your wonderful thread is clear. take no mind nor disrespect from our bkforum colleague since unfortunately, it's a method of communication that encourages or attempts to invoke a reaction.

many have opinions and while the "mission" i believe of this entire site is to share ones own experiences and be a tight knit community...we that are going through this experience know what it's doing to our lives and how it's effecting it. that's really all that matters...so do not let whatmoney's ranting offend you, it's just some people's only way...i'm NOT defending whatmoney...he can clearly vouch for that...LOL!!!! we are all entitled to our own opinions...and you know what they way about those.

hopefully if our extension money doesn't come from the government...when whatmoney goes back to collections, he can collection enough to help us pay our bills...
                        Last edited by tobee43; 11-12-2010, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Tier 2, received last payment this week. I know you have to keep claiming in case Congress keeps the extensions going.

Comment

Originally posted by ByeByeCCs View Post
                            Tier 2, received last payment this week. I know you have to keep claiming in case Congress keeps the extensions going.
                            really?? we file on line...and i'm not certain they will even allow you on the site...will they?? or to better phase it..i don't think you'd be able to complete the form and submit it?? i haven't a clue?

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                              really?? we file on line...and i'm not certain they will even allow you on the site...will they?? or to better phase it..i don't think you'd be able to complete the form and submit it?? i haven't a clue?
                              I would have to guess that it'd take the info but then tell you that you don't have any benefits available. After I do the bi-weekly claim, the site tells me when the check (direct deposit in my case) will be issued, the amount and how much I have left.

The claim I entered this past Tuesday was my LAST one for the regular benefits. That's just under the wire for being able to receive T1 benefits. But once T1 runs out in April, I'm up a creek unless I can find a job before then or they allow the extensions to continue.

When the system told me what I had left (zero), it also told me that I "may be eligible" for extended benefits and that they automatically file a claim on my behalf. I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed and wait.
                              Don
                              Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                              Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                                I would have to guess that it'd take the info but then tell you that you don't have any benefits available. After I do the bi-weekly claim, the site tells me when the check (direct deposit in my case) will be issued, the amount and how much I have left.

The claim I entered this past Tuesday was my LAST one for the regular benefits. That's just under the wire for being able to receive T1 benefits. But once T1 runs out in April, I'm up a creek unless I can find a job before then or they allow the extensions to continue.

When the system told me what I had left (zero), it also told me that I "may be eligible" for extended benefits and that they automatically file a claim on my behalf. I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed and wait.
                                yes, we didn't have a problem at all on line with filing, it went automatically to the tier 2 just fine...it was the filing without benefits that ByeBye mentioned...i think we will no longer be able to file once we are done...it's like you attempting again to file in two weeks from now when your claim just ran out??

so i'm somewhat puzzeled on how ones exactly continued to "file" on line with the extension does not go through...with the thought that maybe it will go through at a later date?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X