top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unemployment extensions - 99ers - Any Updates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
    Like many others, my unemployment extensions will be running out next month. I know it is a little early for the politicians to begin bringing this up, but I am wondering if anyone has any updates on legislation, media conversations, etc.

I am really scared as the GOP is harping big time on making cuts to the budget in many areas, so I have the feeling this is leading up to them not wanting to offer any extensions to the unemployed, especially 99ers.
    time to get a job at burger king huh
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
      It is easy to say that the OP should 'have something in play' when you are working. For those of us who have become unemployed in this economy - it is a nightmare. I have worked since I was 16 - 46 years ago. I was laid off October 2008 and since then have only been able to find 2 temporary positions with a much lower pay scale than I was making. I - and I know helpme also - look for and apply for jobs each and every day, not even taking week-ends off, as we would if we were working.

It is not OUR fault that the economy went to h--- in a handbasket. We were dedicated employees that got sandblasted when there was downsizing due to the economy. For me, it is my age and the fact that I was making a decent salary that comes into play. For the few interviews I've had, I assure the HR rep that my concern is not financial gains as much as woring and being a productive member of society. So far that has not worked for me.

I cannot change either my age or the salary I was making. I am hoping that employers will see that in taking the 2 temporary jobs, I am willing and able to work and the salary did not deter me from doing a good job.

Both of those jobs would have loved to hire me but in each case there was a hiring freeze and they could only hire a temporary for a certain amount of time.

Does this mean I have nothing in place? What exactly do you think I should do, OhioFiler? And saying I should start my own business is a cop-out. If I do not have the money to pay my bills, I certainly do not have the money to start a business.

Hey - if you can help us get jobs, let's hear it. As I said to each of the collection folks - any jobs where you work? If there are and I'm employed, I will certainly pay you. Unfortunately, they had no advice for me. Maybe you do.
      blame all the illegal aliens for taking all the jobs
      Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
      Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
      Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

If I am blaming anything, it is the economy. I was laid off once before, after 9/11 when donations were down and the organization I worked for had to reduce their workforce. At that time I had a job within a month - even before unemployment kicked in. This time it is true I am older, but that only increases my knowledge and skills. This should not be happening to our nation. Both temp jobs I had were with city & county government and there is a hiring freeze there. And the crack about Burger King was uncalled for.

Apparently you aren't facing this problem but try to have a little understanding and compassion for those of us who are.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
          blame all the illegal aliens for taking all the jobs
          Had Americans wanted to do the work the illegal aliens are allegedly doing back when illegals started doing such work the illegals would not be here. America got lazy, fell in love with unions, cushy jobs, 40 hour work weeks and then got fat. Sad but true.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If I am blaming anything, it is the economy. I was laid off once before, after 9/11 when donations were down and the organization I worked for had to reduce their workforce. At that time I had a job within a month - even before unemployment kicked in. This time it is true I am older, but that only increases my knowledge and skills. This should not be happening to our nation. Both temp jobs I had were with city & county government and there is a hiring freeze there. And the crack about Burger King was uncalled for.

Apparently you aren't facing this problem but try to have a little understanding and compassion for those of us who are.
            I assume the poster meant one needs to take any job to support one's self. I'm not sure it was meant to be a smack. I have a kid in high school who recently received two job offers. There are jobs available. Regardless, best of luck to you.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I am seeing more postings - and applying for everyone I see. I even had a telephone interview this week. Haven't heard back so don't know what will happen but it is the first hint of anyone viewing my application in a long, long time. And, OhioFiler, the difference in a high school young person and a 57 year old professional woman are pretty extreme. I didi have 2 'opportunities' that I could have pursued I suppose. They were both part time. One wanted a person for 12 hrs a week - 3 hours a day, which would not support me and the other was going to go 20 hrs a week but the pay was less than I was making when I was 20. Again, this would not support me.

I'm very willing to work for a lower salary than I was making. With the new start (once my bk is done) my expenses will be limited to housing, utilities, food and car expense (gas, insurance, upkeep etc). But, I have to be realistic and can't afford to take a part time job. Now, if I could have worked with either company to change hours so I could have done both jobs, it might have worked but neither were willing to change the hours so I couldn't do it.

And yes, when I was in high school I was offered 2 jobs also. Of course, I didn't make much and I had to work part time so I could continue going to school, but they were there then as you just proved they are there now.

The analagy doesn't quite measure up. Sorry.

Comment

I am seeing more postings - and applying for everyone I see. I even had a telephone interview this week. Haven't heard back so don't know what will happen but it is the first hint of anyone viewing my application in a long, long time. And, OhioFiler, the difference in a high school young person and a 57 year old professional woman are pretty extreme. I didi have 2 'opportunities' that I could have pursued I suppose. They were both part time. One wanted a person for 12 hrs a week - 3 hours a day, which would not support me and the other was going to go 20 hrs a week but the pay was less than I was making when I was 20. Again, this would not support me.

I'm very willing to work for a lower salary than I was making. With the new start (once my bk is done) my expenses will be limited to housing, utilities, food and car expense (gas, insurance, upkeep etc). But, I have to be realistic and can't afford to take a part time job. Now, if I could have worked with either company to change hours so I could have done both jobs, it might have worked but neither were willing to change the hours so I couldn't do it.

And yes, when I was in high school I was offered 2 jobs also. Of course, I didn't make much and I had to work part time so I could continue going to school, but they were there then as you just proved they are there now.

The analagy doesn't quite measure up. Sorry.
                Well the analogy does add up. There are jobs out there. Lots of them. Probably not the exact job we all want.

I had to recently look for a new job. It's scary but an open mind and positive attitude with a strong support system helps a lot.

I would offer to you perhaps you should change your screen name. I believe a positive attitude makes a huge difference when one is challenged. Rather than feel discouraged you might want to feel empowered! All the best to you!

Comment

After working my way through school 16 years ago (working on average 35 hours a week and going to school full-time), I earned an Associates Degree. For the past 16 years, I've used that degree working for Civil Engineers as CADD technician. The point of that is not to brag, but to say that I AM NOT AFRAID/UNWILLING to do the work.

I was laid off in December of 2009 having earned upwards of $28 per hour. Now after 15 months of hunting for a job--and applying for everything imaginable--I finally received a job offer. Pending a background check, I will be working as a custodian at the local middle school for $9 per hour. Had it not been for the UE extensions, I would have been left unable to:
                  • Buy gas to enable me to hunt for a job--and every employer I talked to wanted to know that I'd have reliable transportation.
                  • Pay for medical needs--I am diabetic and have high blood pressure
                  • Buy food to eat (survive)

I find the notion that I didn't need/deserve those UE benefits to be offensive and hold no ill will for those who continue to collect it even after I no longer do.

If we were in a "normal" economy, I would whole-heartedly agree that these UE extensions were not needed and would have likened it to welfare. But this is a serious recession and until new jobs are created and the job market can support putting these people back to work, the extensions need to continue.

When I went on UE, my GROSS income was less than my previous NET income. Now with this new job, my income will be less than HALF of my income on UE. So please don't try and suggest I was "holding out" for the best.
                  Don
                  Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                  Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                    After working my way through school 16 years ago (working on average 35 hours a week and going to school full-time), I earned an Associates Degree. For the past 16 years, I've used that degree working for Civil Engineers as CADD technician. The point of that is not to brag, but to say that I AM NOT AFRAID/UNWILLING to do the work.

I was laid off in December of 2009 having earned upwards of $28 per hour. Now after 15 months of hunting for a job--and applying for everything imaginable--I finally received a job offer. Pending a background check, I will be working as a custodian at the local middle school for $9 per hour. Had it not been for the UE extensions, I would have been left unable to:
                    • Buy gas to enable me to hunt for a job--and every employer I talked to wanted to know that I'd have reliable transportation.
                    • Pay for medical needs--I am diabetic and have high blood pressure
                    • Buy food to eat (survive)

I find the notion that I didn't need/deserve those UE benefits to be offensive and hold no ill will for those who continue to collect it even after I no longer do.

If we were in a "normal" economy, I would whole-heartedly agree that these UE extensions were not needed and would have likened it to welfare. But this is a serious recession and until new jobs are created and the job market can support putting these people back to work, the extensions need to continue.

When I went on UE, my GROSS income was less than my previous NET income. Now with this new job, my income will be less than HALF of my income on UE. So please don't try and suggest I was "holding out" for the best.
                    Doni, I understand your post and agree with you. I make a 1/4 of my income on unemployment benefits, so it's really the only thing holding me together. One problem with taking that minimum wage job at McDonalds is trying to get back to a normal paying job again. Try setting up an interview with a company when you work full time.

I live in L.A. and it can take 1 to 2 hours to get across SoCal to reach that job. Heavy duty traffic as well.

Every job I have taken asks me what my salary history was and then offers me what a recent job paid me. It is extremely difficult to get them to move higher, especially after taking a lower paying job. They realize they can short change me on their job offer as well, since I show a history of being willing to take the lower job offer.

By holding out for at least the low paying job (not the minimum wage mcdonalds job), I can get a realistic job that will at least pay my bills or not quite pay my bills, but only lose a slight amount each month (and of course no health insurance or anything that remote resembles entertainment expenses). Basically, just working full time from early morning to night to just pay the bills, but not put any money away into a 401k, the bank for a rainy day fund, health care, etc.

So when I lose the next job, it helps that I take the higher job so I can at least build a little cushion for survival.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                      Well the analogy does add up. There are jobs out there. Lots of them. Probably not the exact job we all want.

I had to recently look for a new job. It's scary but an open mind and positive attitude with a strong support system helps a lot.

I would offer to you perhaps you should change your screen name. I believe a positive attitude makes a huge difference when one is challenged. Rather than feel discouraged you might want to feel empowered! All the best to you!
                      ohioflyer, I understand being open to a lower paying job and going out of the comfort zone, including jobs in areas I am not familiar with. I have done this with many job types and in many industries. But we have to be somewhat realistic on planet Earth and not tell someone to just go pick lettuce, work at Walmart, Burger King, or stand on the corner dancing with a sign in our hands.

Someone that is a professional, that holds a degree, or has spent over a dozen years learning and putting in the blood, sweat, and tears to be a professional in the business world, deserves at least a lower paying job in the professional industry. You can't tell someone who regularly earns 40k, 50k, 60k, 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k, to compete against the illegal alient and go pick lettuce in the fields or to compete against the high-schooler as a newspaper delivery boy riding a BMX dirt bike at 40 or 50 years old.

This type of statement goes so far out of the bounds of reality, that its frightening. Hey I would love to put on my resume that I picked lettuce and worked at McDonalds for the past 6 months. Guess how many professional companies would call me up for an interview - ZERO. Consulting has made a difference between having no job and getting no calls and having a job and getting calls. McDonalds would flag every employer down as this person does not have the quality to be hired for a professional position, that is why nobody but McDonalds hired him.

Comment

Thank you. Since you see me in a glass house when did I file bankruptcy?

Why don't you debate my amateur psychoanalysis rather than throw out nonsense?
                        Get off your high horse and answer the question.

WHY DID YOU FILE BANKRUPTCY INSTEAD OF SEEKING A DIFFERENT SOURCE OF INCOME?

Don't dodge.

Answer the question.

Comment

Unemployment insurance is a crutch and many people learn to live on it so long as they can receive it. That does not include everyone. However, endless monthly payments from the government regardless what we label it are welfare payments. The only obvious difference from traditional welfare is unemployment payments are directed to people who would be considered middle class by most definitions. Many in this group want to resist the label of "welfare recipient" as the term has a negative connotation historically. I don't use it in a negative way here, simply factually.

Congress spent nearly $1,000,000,000 on a so called stimulus plan designed to create jobs. It failed because government can't create jobs outside itself (i.e hire more bureaucrats). It is the private sector who create jobs. Whether one likes wealthy people or large corporations the truth is these are the job creators along with the small business owner. Relying on the government to solve this problem is creating an unsustainable debt load with nearly zero tangible results.

I wish you well on your job search.
                          You mean a crutch, like, oh I don't know..... Filing bankruptcy?

Comment

Thanks, houston7. Wow - OhioFiler really seems to have it in for anyone who cannot find a job! Don't understand the reasoning behind that or what the problem is, but, here in MN, in a large city with numerous colleges, the younger folks are getting the jobs. I purposely took the two temp positions doing data entry to show prospective employers that it was a job I could and would do. My resume prior to these positions was working in a highly professional field as an Executive Assistant and I think the title and the salary scared off employers.

I really don't care what it is I do for work, as long as it is able to allow me to survive. I only have 5-10 years to work and that is nothing. The time will fly fast I am sure. And I have learned to live very frugally since receiving unemployment, which is slightly less than 1/2 of what I was making. But - due to the competition, it is hard. I would even have taken the lower paying data entry position if it would have been full time, although it was also so far away that gas alone may have made it unrealistic and there was no bus transportation to the company.

That is another thing I have to take into consideration. My car is old (1992) and I have no idea how long it will last. I obviously can't afford to buy a new one on what I receive from unemployment so any position I take has to be close to a bus route. Sometimes I wish I would have known I was going to be laid off and maybe I would have gotten a newer car and quit paying my mortgage a lot sooner than I did. Unfortunately, I had no idea unemployment was in the cards. I knew the company was having problems but not to the extreme it proved to be so I was unprepared for a lay-off.

Comment

I am seeing more postings - and applying for everyone I see. I even had a telephone interview this week. Haven't heard back so don't know what will happen but it is the first hint of anyone viewing my application in a long, long time. And, OhioFiler, the difference in a high school young person and a 57 year old professional woman are pretty extreme. I Didi have 2 'opportunities' that I could have pursued I suppose. They were both part time. One wanted a person for 12 hrs a week - 3 hours a day, which would not support me and the other was going to go 20 hrs a week but the pay was less than I was making when I was 20. Again, this would not support me.

The analogy doesn't quite measure up. Sorry.
                              i so agree...and while it's so easy for some to speak from the outside in.....i know you, and you are so brilliant and can do ANYTHING.....but we both know;

age factors, demographics, work history....(too much experience)...are all deterrent's in this employment environment.

no one wants the "older" more experience workers when they can get a young college grad for 1/4 of the salary. and, it's not a matter of downsizing, as both you and i know. shoot, i think if you and i downsized more, we'd both be living in card board boxes..

we have had it tough, many of the less life experience people don't get that well,...not really NOT at all... not that that is their fault, it's just what one learns with the passing of time and experience...life experience that is, NOT education, necesarry...(now, how many degrees to i have?).

so, for us, we are the lost generation of this mess, as far, as i can see and feel...but we will make it!
                              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks, houston7. Wow - OhioFiler really seems to have it in for anyone who cannot find a job! Don't understand the reasoning behind that or what the problem is, but, here in MN, in a large city with numerous colleges, the younger folks are getting the jobs. I purposely took the two temp positions doing data entry to show prospective employers that it was a job I could and would do. My resume prior to these positions was working in a highly professional field as an Executive Assistant and I think the title and the salary scared off employers.

I really don't care what it is I do for work, as long as it is able to allow me to survive. I only have 5-10 years to work and that is nothing. The time will fly fast I am sure. And I have learned to live very frugally since receiving unemployment, which is slightly less than 1/2 of what I was making. But - due to the competition, it is hard. I would even have taken the lower paying data entry position if it would have been full time, although it was also so far away that gas alone may have made it unrealistic and there was no bus transportation to the company.

That is another thing I have to take into consideration. My car is old (1992) and I have no idea how long it will last. I obviously can't afford to buy a new one on what I receive from unemployment so any position I take has to be close to a bus route. Sometimes I wish I would have known I was going to be laid off and maybe I would have gotten a newer car and quit paying my mortgage a lot sooner than I did. Unfortunately, I had no idea unemployment was in the cards. I knew the company was having problems but not to the extreme it proved to be so I was unprepared for a lay-off.
                                don't let that get to you for one moment!!!!!!!!!!! you have been through so much!!!

there are just people that LOVE to kick people when they are down and have NO clue...just hit the "ignore" button...really. some just love to get a raise and hurt people because they have no clue or life experience, are nasty and enjoy people's misery...it's just life..

you will be fine, i know it! anyone that has read your posts or your threads know who you are and what an excellent human being you are. (so rare!)
                                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X