Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Things To Stop Paying For and Start Doing Yourself To Save Money

November 13, 2010

In the last 30 years, there has been a tremendous “Wealthening” of America. Perhaps the greatest evidence of that is the huge growth in the service sector. Today, we pay other people to do many things that we used to just do ourselves just 3 decades ago.

If you want to start living cheap, it is time to reverse the trend and start doing these things for yourself!

1) Lawn Mowing: 30 years ago, only old ladies and the very rich hired somebody to mow their lawns. Either you did it or your kid did it. And if you were childless you hired the neighbor’s kid. These days, it seems everyone hires a “professional” to do their lawn. Paying someone $25+ a week to mow the lawn can cost you an extra $650 a year. You can buy an air-conditioned programmable lawn mower for that kind of money. It’s all about scheduling the time, it doesn’t take that much effort and it helps keep you fit. It’s a medical fact that yardwork reduces stress and burns calories.

2) House Cleaning: 30 years ago, a maid was considered something that only the elite could afford. Of course, the average size of a house has doubled and requires more work to clean up and keep tidy. You can save two to three thousand a year by just doing it yourself. Invest some money in some high quality cleaning equipment to make the work easier. Get organized. If you’re tidy all week - you’ll have less to clean up on the weekend. A fallback position is to cut back to every other week.

3) Home Security: 30 years ago, home security meant a 12 gauge shotgun or two guys named Smith & Wesson. Today, after decades of plummeting crime, we pay $30 a month or more for the privilege of putting a little Octagon outside our door and hoping that would be criminals can’t figure out an alarm system that an 8th grader could foil. Get a dog.

4) Cooking: According to ZAGAT, the average family eats out 3.2 times per week. 30 years ago, it was something families would only do on very special occasions or while on vacation. Those meals cost an average of about $2,800. Do yourself a favor, invest $1,000 and get someone in your family to take a few gourmet cooking classes. It’ll pay for itself in six months. If your kitchen serves better food than 95% of the restaurants in your area, you won’t eat out as much. Savings $1,400+ a year.

5) Laundry: Maybe the Blue Suits at IBM were getting their shirts pressed 30 years ago, but most everyone else was firing up the iron and pressing away at home. Today, many professionals spend $20 to $100 a week for their dry cleaning bills. Do it yourself. It makes sense to send a suit to the cleaners - but you should be able to do a shirt or two. Buy a good $80 iron, some starch, and a nice ironing board and iron away while the game is on. Savings $1,000 + a year.

6) Automotive Maintenance: Most of us have to admit that we don’t handle the upkeep on the cars. There was a time not to long ago that the oil changes, brakes, and fixing up the old jalopy was done in our driveways. A few of us keep up with the old tradition but for most people, jacking up the car and sliding underneath is a permanent part of the past. Thankfully, our cars need a heck of a lot less maintenance than they used to. Savings: $500 or more if you are handy.

7) Childcare: 30 years ago, nobody ever heard of a Pre-K school or nannies. Most kids stayed home until Kindergarten and if their parents were really humane they’d let the kid stay home till first grade. The entrance of women into the workforce accelerated the growth of Pre-K and nannies. What’s interesting is that the subsequent exit of many women from the workforce hasn’t led to a decline in Pre-K enrollment or nanny employment. If you have a parent at home, cut some costs by keeping the kids at home and making educational play dates with friends. You might just save $5,000+ a year.

8) Car Wash: $12 a week to get your car clean? 30 years ago you’d be lucky to find a carwash that cost more than fifty cents. Do yourself a favor spend $35 on a bucket, hose, and some sponges and do like Daniel-son and wax on wax off. You’ll save $500 or more.

9) Hair Cuts: Ok, we have to admit, our moms used to break out the scissors and cut our hair. Yeah, we looked like someone put a bowl on our head but it was the seventies so there wasn’t much of a standard. But c’mon $20 hair cuts for 5 year olds and $90 for the ladies. While that’s bad, what’s with the dudes getting $45 cuts every 4 weeks. While you may not be able to cut at home, there are plenty of decent places where you can get a cut for $20. If you’re a guy, go short and get a pair of cutters.

10) Manicures (and Pedicures!): Let’s get real here, how hard is it to find a girlfriend to sit down and paint each others nails. And the guys getting manicures and pedicures, don’t get us started. 30 years ago you would have gotten laughed out of the office. Why is it that the only guys that actually need a pedicure (mechanics, construction workers, etc.) are exactly the one’s that will never get one. Save $300 or more every year.

11) Coffee: The easiest thing to make excluding toast and people fork over $4 a day for some barista to make it for them. Get yourself a nice machine and 4 or 5 flavored syrups and set the coffee maker for 6:45 in the morning. Go to a barista class if you can’t figure it out by reading the Internet. You might actually see your family for 10 minutes more each day instead of standing 10 people deep in Starbucks. $750 or more a year in savings.

12) Painting: Painting is probably one of the easiest trades to master. It’s one thing to call a plumber or an electrician - but you should at least be able to paint the interior of your house. Plenty of courses at Home Depot or other home improvement centers and if you get any good at it you might pick up some easy income for doing a few rooms for friends.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I haven't reached the point of trying auto maintenance or cutting my own hair yet, but I'm on board for the other tips.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Auto repairs/maintenance is one of the biggest rip offs for people uneducated in vehicle operation. The chain stores are by far the worst ones. Stay away from them! They pay their employees peanuts and mark up the parts they are putting on your car by up to 200%. Vehicle inspections in the states that have them are another way to take advantage of unknowing folks. I drive older vehicles and every time I take one in for inspection they find a problem that does not usually stop it from passing, but should be addressed according to them (trying to drum up buisness). My mother just had her car inspected and they rejected it for worn brakes (she is 81 years old). They said they could do a brake job for $95 plus parts. I took the car back and asked them to show me why the brakes were bad when I had just replaced them myself three months ago. They stalled me when I demanded they pull the wheels and show me how much they had worn in three months. They reluctantly put a new sticker on the vehicle and told me they probably mixed up the cars when writing up the inspections. Yeah right.

I am fortunate to have the mechanical ability and most tools to do most any mechanical job. I have saved a ton of money in diy repairs. I hit the salvage yards befor buying new. Question everything a mechanic wants to do for a repair and ask for the old parts back. It will keep them honest.
      Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

It's funny, because the large number of people who started following #9 (including coloring their own hair) is the reason I have to file BK. LOL

Comment

When my air conditioning stopped working, I asked Sears about recharging it for about $130 and they told me I probably had a leak and it wouldn't be worth it. My colleague suggested I try doing it myself. I bought a hose for $15 and a can of the AC coolant for $5; for $20, I figured it was worth a shot. He showed me how to do it and Voila! My AC is still working almost two years later. To think Sears charges over $100 to install a $5 can of coolant!

Totally awesome that you busted the inspection shop for trying to rip you off. You ought to report them so they lose their license to even do inspections.

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
          Auto repairs/maintenance is one of the biggest rip offs for people uneducated in vehicle operation. The chain stores are by far the worst ones. Stay away from them! They pay their employees peanuts and mark up the parts they are putting on your car by up to 200%. Vehicle inspections in the states that have them are another way to take advantage of unknowing folks. I drive older vehicles and every time I take one in for inspection they find a problem that does not usually stop it from passing, but should be addressed according to them (trying to drum up buisness). My mother just had her car inspected and they rejected it for worn brakes (she is 81 years old). They said they could do a brake job for $95 plus parts. I took the car back and asked them to show me why the brakes were bad when I had just replaced them myself three months ago. They stalled me when I demanded they pull the wheels and show me how much they had worn in three months. They reluctantly put a new sticker on the vehicle and told me they probably mixed up the cars when writing up the inspections. Yeah right.

I am fortunate to have the mechanical ability and most tools to do most any mechanical job. I have saved a ton of money in diy repairs. I hit the salvage yards befor buying new. Question everything a mechanic wants to do for a repair and ask for the old parts back. It will keep them honest.
          Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

Comment

Car maintenance: that is a tough one depending on the car you have. If you can find a trustworthy mechanic, it can actually be cheaper. For example, the guy I use charges $14.99, all in, for an oil change. If I were to go buy the oil and filter, it costs about $25-$30 after tax (most of that is the cost of the oil) (and for my car, the filter is in a very difficult position, I have spent many an hour fighting to get the damn thing off )

As for the rest, very good points.

I know this is going to be a slippery sloop, but you do need to consider the time value of money. If you can be doing more productive things with the time, it might be worth the money to pay someone else to do it. HOWEVER, if the time savings would not yield anything productive except you sitting around and watching another hour of TV, then don't spend the money.
            Last edited by HHM; 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

If you must use a new mechanic or one that you're not familiar with - here's a tip. For anything that requires replacing (that you're aware of... like brake pads, rotors, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, dist. cap, coils, wires, etc) - mark on the item with permanent marker (like Red, Green or blue) and ask to have them save all items they take off your vehicle and replace. If they show you something you didnt mark.. then chances are, they didnt replace the item.

My dad taught us this trick from years ago. I've had some places fail this test and others pass it. Those that failed it I went to the car and showed them they never replaced the oil filter because it was marked. Oil and air filters are probably the most common thing that are not actually replaced, especially at those "fly-in fly-out" types of places.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                Car maintenance: that is a tough one depending on the car you have. If you can find a trustworthy mechanic, it can actually be cheaper. For example, the guy I use charges $14.99, all in, for an oil change. If I were to go buy the oil and filter, it costs about $25-$30 after tax (most of that is the cost of the oil) (and for my car, the filter is in a very difficult position, I have spent many an hour fighting to get the damn thing off )

As for the rest, very good points.

I know this is going to be a slippery sloop, but you do need to consider the time value of money. If you can be doing more productive things with the time, it might be worth the money to pay someone else to do it. HOWEVER, if the time savings would not yield anything productive except you sitting around and watching another hour of TV, then don't spend the money.
                I agree with the time vs money aspect. I figure my labor/hour is an equivalent of one hour of overtime. If I can get it done under that amount someone else does it. That goes for appliance repair, home repairs, etc. The things you can't do yourself should be watched carefully. This economy is causing a lot of scams and dirty buisness.
                Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Wow. I love this post. Every single one of these things I agree with. I actually have discovered that I am quite a good cook! I gave up fake nails YEARS ago, and I will get one pedicure a year - in the spring - to get me through summer. And I'll get it at Wal Mart - where it's cheaper! But I don't need fake nails since I'm doing the cooking, cleaning, the painting, and washing the car. Auto maintenance though - forget it. So many cars are on "computer systems" now - I don't even know where the heck the dip stick is anymore (I remember Dad taught me that in high school). I do agree that there are soooooo many things people pay for now that they don't need. And I chuckle to myself when I get in the elevator in the morning and all 4 people standing around me have their caffe latte espresso decaf mocha supreme. . . whatever. . . in their hands. LOL
                  Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

I love to cook, and I have a lot of fun trying to cook really good meals on the cheap ;)
                    I cut my own hair and my daughter's. My grown daughter even comes to me for her haircuts. We figure we run just as much risk getting a "bad" cut at an inexpensive salon, so why waste the extra $15.
                    I've replaced two radiators on my own...my dad insisted us girls learn to change tires and check oil. I think one of his greatest prides in his lifetime was knowing that I would tackle something like a radiator on my own and succeed. (One radiator was on my husband's Mustang, and I changed it while he was working...surprised him!)
                    I splurge on a latte once in a blue moon, maybe once every 4 months. I make my own kahlua and have even given it as a gift in the past.
                    I've always cleaned my own house, can't even imagine someone else coming in and cleaning up after us. It's fun to see all the different ways people save money. If I haven't used them in the past, I'm looking forward to using them in the future. Post bk life is a challenge, and I love a challenge
                    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Well, I'll disagree with the pre-K. My daughter has grown so much, and it's nowhere near $5k. It's $1600 for four half days. I'd spend more than that on play dates with other moms (going to the museums, zoos, water parks, etc, especially when you add gas) than that.

Comment

This is a great list. I am doing just about everyone of them except for car repairs and cooking. My husband is not very handy under the hood of a car, but lucky for me, I have a brother who is and doesn't mind helping out. As for cooking, I use every excuse in the book to not cook because I just don't like to and grew up going out all the time so I am working on it. I so want to change. I'm feeling pretty good today because I perused the grocery ads and made a weekly dinner list based on those ads then I got out the coupons and my daughter and I went to 2 grocery stores this morning to get everything for the week. For a family of 7 I spent $70 for the week which included the kids school lunches. I shopped only on sale and used coupons for all those things. I did already have some dinner ingredients in the pantry. I was proud of myself and hoping to make this a new ritual.
                        Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Have always done all of these, except the car maintenance. What do those of you who do your own oil changes do with the used oil today?

Comment

5) Laundry: Maybe the Blue Suits at IBM were getting their shirts pressed 30 years ago, but most everyone else was firing up the iron and pressing away at home. Today, many professionals spend $20 to $100 a week for their dry cleaning bills. Do it yourself. It makes sense to send a suit to the cleaners - but you should be able to do a shirt or two. Buy a good $80 iron, some starch, and a nice ironing board and iron away while the game is on. Savings $1,000 + a year.
                            now this is truly educational....because my way of doing laundry for many years was to get one of those large glad garbage bags...strip the beds and get all the kids dirty close...put them all in the bag...leave it on the curb as i got into the car on my way to macy or fortunoffs to get new clothes and sheets.

times have surly changed. ( my dh learned to do laundry really quickly after i pulled that once!).

partially kidding aside.....i have reformed tho...i even hang my clothes outside to dry...my husband has NEVER seen this many clean socks in his draw and i'm making every effort to hang shirts even dress ones.
                            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Good tips. I disagree with the alarm one, though. $30 a month for monitoring is wayyyy cheaper than caring for a dog.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X