Why the Worst is Yet to Come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the Worst is Yet to Come.

Lately, I have read story after story about the real estate market "finding the bottom" or "hitting the trough". These are usually propaganda stories generated from the thoughts of a small handful of "real estate experts". These folks would say ANYTHING to keep the blood flowing in that nearly-dead industry. I do not say this lightly-my wife is a Realtor.

Set those faint lifesigns aside, my friend. I am afraid that 2010 will be the real bloodbath in housing and in real estate as a whole. I have reasons for thinking so, and there are plenty of places you can look up the data I will generally quote. If you would like a specific link to any particular section I mention, please pm me.

Aside from my usual gloomy predictions, there are millions of Option/Arm loans that will reset this year. Many will reset early because of early-amortization, meaning that a lot of folks chose to pay the minimum monthly payment and ADDED to their principal. When the principal reaches 125% of loan value, the reset is automatic. And that's just for starters.

Below, I outline some other serious concerns.

First, the market is artificially driven at this point. You could say it is on life-support, literally. The last two years we saw the government propping up the housing market with the 8k first time homebuyer credit. This caused a churning effect in the lower end of homes nationally. This effect was felt strongest in the worst markets, places like Florida, California, Nevada, and so on. The idea was to encourage renters to make that first big purchase. Ultimately, the credit was available to use as a downpayment at time of closing. Eh, did someone forget that zero-down loans are a large part of what got us to where we are? So, many of these "first time home-buyers" were able to purchase homes without scraping up even a dollar to do so. Now, what will happen when these borrowers need to come up with taxes and insurance next year? If they didn't even have 8k for a downpayment, we will be in for round three (or is it four?) of the crash.

Late last year, the government expanded and extended this program. It now includes people who already own a home. Given this scenario, we bought our current house about two months early. We are letting our 600k McMansion go back to Bank Of America in foreclosure. Strangled by medical debt, we finally gave up the fight. But, apparently, we surrendered too soon. If we had waited a couple months, we would have received the 8k credit as well. And we are talking CASH here. Money from your pocket and mine. We could have had the 8k, even though we are letting our primary, original residence, go to foreclosure. Something stinks about this picture, no? The government just handed the final piece of the puzzle to anyone considering the "buy and bail" method of getting out of an underwater home.

But, wait! Step right up, it gets even better.

Bank Of America currently has 721 properties for sale, through foreclosure proceedings, in the state of Florida. SEVEN-HUNDRED. That strikes me as an unusual number. Why? TOO LOW. The Tampa Bay area (my home) booked 80,000 foreclosures in the third quarter of 2009. Bank Of America, and its new bed-buddy Countrywide, only have SEVEN-HUNDRED foreclosure properties in ALL OF Florida? I doubt it.

That brings us to shadow inventory. This is property the bank has (or should have) foreclosed on, but the property has not hit the open market or the MLS. Bank Of America claims it does NOT hold property off the market. This is a suspect statement, given the above numbers. With the Tampa Bay area going through record foreclosures, nearly 200k homes this year, it seems incredibly unlikely that BoA has only 700 properties in the entire state that are for sale after being foreclosed on.

Among all the large lenders, there must be millions of homes that are unaccounted for. In fact, there are reliable sources out there who concur. A quick search online reveals anywhere from 2-7 million properties that have, seemingly, disappeared.

They WILL reappear one day. Soon.

When they do, anarchy will reign. The banks cannot let these properties linger in the shadows forever. Nor can they afford to maintain them long enough to sell them at a decent price. Prices will plummet further. I am guessing the drop in 2010 will be around 20% in already distressed areas like CA, TX, FL, and NV. I could be optimistic.

Now, if you have sat through this joy-fest long enough to read this, let's discuss another, potentially more serious, problem. Some banks, Wells Fargo comes to mind, are tackling this issue in another fashion. Wells is rolling the dice as though they were in Vegas with unlimited funds.

Ah, who are we kidding. With the US taxpayer behind them, they have nothing to lose.

But WE do.

You see, Wells Fargo has decided that pretty much ANYONE who has an Option/Arm or Pick A Pay loan should be eligible for a ten year interest-only modification. Hey, sign us all up. The thinking goes like this: People didn't just buy a house, they bought a HOME. Their kids go to that school, for God's sake! They WILL want to keep it if they can.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

The result of these "interest-only" modifications is two-fold. One, it keeps bad debt off WF books and keeps the money (interest) rolling in. Therefore, WF does not have to account for these huge losses, and generate new reserves to cover the losses.

Second, it kicks the ball back into the borrower's court. Borrowers who accept these mods are making a risky bet that the housing market will increase by 14% PER YEAR for the next TEN YEARS. How do I arrive at this figure? More than 60% of borrowers are underwater. Of that percentage, about 80% are underwater more than 75%. The numbers are stark.

If you bought at 400k in 2006, your home is probably worth 200k, in the worst markets. That is a 50% drop in value. To recover from that, in the ten year interest-only mod, you would need to regain 200k, or a 100% increase in value.

But that is only part of the equation.

You must also factor in cost-of-living increases and future increases in tax, maintenance, insurance, HOA, and so on. So, let's be conservative in this area and figure the total in other fees amounts to 4.5% per year.

Now, under THIS scenario, you must recoup 14.5% per year, or, over ten years, 145%.

What are the chances your home, currently worth 200k, will be worth 500k in ten years?

I wouldn't take that bet.

But Wells is, and other lenders are, too.

I believe this is top-level executive greed. These executives do not expect to be at the helm of Wells Fargo in ten years. In ten years they will have taken another 400 million in bonuses and be safely retired in the Caymans when the chickens come home to roost.

In the end, they will be on the beach, and the taxpayer will be on the hook for even more.

But. what's new?

It borders on treason, I say, honestly.

If you have suffered through all these numbers, I thank you. It is not pleasant, and it will become even more unpleasant before we are done.

Wishing you the best,

-dmc
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

My husband read an article on strategic default. And he said many of your points were valid. Our lawyer claims he can get us a mod out of guidelines since we are "riding it through". I will only accept if it is 20% less than value now in case you are right. Funny thing is family and friends up north have no concept of or housing market now since up there no one ever moves.

Comment

Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Very good observations. I concur. Long live the shadow inventory!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I would add to my original post:

Where shadow inventory is mentioned--OUR house is in that shadoow inventory. We stopped paying a year ago on our 4k per month mortgage.

BoA has not requested relief from the BK filing. So, they do NOT have to report the loss of this loan on their books. We remain responsible for upkeep and HOA fees. They will likely not move on this foreclosure until they have to.

We are part of this hidden shadow inventory, since BoA refuses to foreclose.

Hopefully it won't last too long, but we are prepared.

Our attorney has clients whose homes have been in limbo for four years.
          11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
          12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Since the creation of the US, we have had to pay for every war we participated in. After the war, the National Debt was huge and inflation went rampant.

In our case, we are still fighting 2 wars with no end in sight. I don't think Congress realizes we have to pay back our National Debt. This might be a new area for the US to venture forth into.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Oh my - I agree....gloom & doom.
              I like you am in the Tampa Bay area and we have decided to walk away from our mortgage because I just don't see that our neighborhood is going to improve anytime soon. We are very capable of paying the mortgage and will not be saving any money by renting, but since we are filing 7 anyway, we are using this as an opportunity to "get out" while we can.
              Talk about going down hill fast, all I can say about some of the homes on our street is - yuck.
              We are wondering how long we will have to stay in our house before we are forced out.
              Do you know about how long the process takes in Pinellas county? We intend to live here until the end because of the large amount of rentals available - we don't forsee having a problem finding one.

Comment

After reading that, you make me think I should give up my house.

Though, I've been under the impression that TX (where I'm at) has been hit nowhere as hard as CA, FL, NV. ?????

Comment

Credit as we have known it in the past, is gone. The "me, me, me" and "gotta have it now" generations have to learn how to budget and actually use cash to buy things. That will be a long learning process as all the changes occur over the next several years. Expect a turnaround of some sort as to real estate in 2011/2012 and the boom will be in apartment buildings or rental/condo communities/over 55 cheaper housing. It will be a while before the big bedroom development communities come around.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thank you for your very eye-opening post. My MIL has been telling us of things to come in 2010 and how sh*t is going to hit the fan.. but you put things into much better perspective for me!
                    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
                    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
                    Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

You're spot on with your thoughts. The "shadow inventory" being held by the banks and lenders is tremendous. In my little version of small town America, there are hundreds of properties that have been foreclosed on. Many are for sale, many are just sitting there.

The fat lady has not even started warming up her vocal cords yet.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I agree on the Wells fargo thing. They have offered me the same interest only payments. However, I am in a fixed rate and my home is not underwater. My wife always why I argued with the broker when we bought your home that I wanted the higher fixed rate rather than the adj. mortg. Now she knows why.

If anything, my home is break even RIGHT NOW. However, I have noticed properties that have been on sale forever are starting to be sold and prices are slowly going up in my area. I live in Mid Michigan. So.. I cant really tell.

Your article did raise my eyebrow about the shadow housing. Seems very plausible.

Comment

I totally agree with your post DMC. I want to add a few comments though.

1. The federal government has decided recently to give unlimited backing to Freddie and Fannie. That will keep a market for mortgage backed securities, which will keep a market for mortgages, which will allow for interest only refi's like the ones you discussed in your posts. Underwater homes will stay underwater but will not foreclose. With Freddie and Fannie bondholders pretty much being guaranteed their money with interest, mortgage rates will be kept artificially low. With mortgage rates artificially low, housing prices will be artificially high, as houses are needed to be sold to fuel the bonds which are guaranteed profit for the bondholders at this point. (this is the EXACT recipe for the bubble that caused this mess, but now it is being backed by the federal government indefinitely)

2. I think that the government will also, quietly absorb some of the shadow inventory that the banks have, or will change accounting rules or some other trick, so that the banks do not have to release that shadow inventory onto the housing market or declare it outright on their books. I also think that the there will be quiet incentives given to bulldoze a lot of the properties, etc....

Basically the choice the government is making is to try to modify our way out of this, which has the effect of lengthening the crisis. We have simply slowed the foreclosure pipeline, with people staying in houses they are ultimately not going to be able to afford anyway.
                          Last edited by backtoschool; 01-05-2010, 06:31 AM. Reason: added info
                          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Great article DMC:

The most accurate and informative is the "shadow inventory". If a glut (as if it isn't already) of houses come on the market, they may have to pay people to take them off their hands. They too can lose those houses for local property taxes. The City just may give them away then to section 8 housers, and our trek to Third World level will go forth.

Mrs. and I have taken a new hobby up when we take a ride to town. It's called, "count the new for sale signs". Never have I seen more signs in such local area. (Beats counting the crosses on the Interstate.)

We drove into a new housing development about a month ago. Streets all laid out nicely, underground utilities, fire hydrants, but few houses. The dozen or so there were not decked out with carpet or tile (an item selected upon sale) and those that were had not been lived in and one was but empty. Out of a dozen of houses and room for hundreds, ONE was occupied. HHMmm Gets you to think that bk was a damn good business decision after all. 'Hub
                            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

This may be way off point here, but with the way things are going, is it stupid to stay in a home that is in a new development and it's obvious the prices of the homes are going down due to lack of sales... which means the quality of the neighborhood is also going downhill... which means the resell value of the home 6-10 years down the road could be nonexistent?
                              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                              Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
                              Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
                              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X