Best gift you've ever recieved..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best gift you've ever recieved..

And I mean the most meaningful, useful, etc. Not the most extravagant.

I need help picking out gifts for my in-laws and of course DH is of no help. I am particularly interested in what you would get for your in-laws, or what you have received and loved from your children (by marriage or not), or would like to receive.

I know I am late on the Christmas shopping this year, but for the first time, earlier this year we had to cash out our Christmas club account early for emergency expenses and I am getting a Christmas bonus around Thanksgiving so we have to wait until then.

Let's make this a helpful thread for all of those in need of gifting advice!
    Last edited by NowImDownInIt; 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM. Reason: Too many Santas!
    Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
    Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
    60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

I get my inlaws pictures of the kids in nice frames. I also take artwork from the kids and frame it for them.

I try not to spend too much on family, I would rather spend on my kids. I my husband and I do not exchange. This year, with any luck, we will be purchasing a much needed new vacuum cleaner for us for Christmas
    Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Well the best gift i ever received was not a material one, it was during my first marraige anniversary suddenly my parents turned up to congratulate us all the way from Florida! It made me so happy, so excited.
      URL Removed by Admin

Comment

well I didnt receive it... I gave it For my parents I took pictures from when they were younger (all in a box) up until the most recent and made a scrap book / photo album of sorts. I scanned in all the pics and put back all the org. ones so that they didnt know they were missing as well as to keep the org. ones intact. Then I added special moments (like births of kids and grandkids) and threw them in there. I also had my brother and sister as well as the grandkids write what their most favorite memory was and what they loved about each parent, special quiet times together, etc. They loved it, not a dry eye in the room.

Second all time favorite (actually now my new "first") was after my father passed away a few years ago, I took all of his clothing (and I mean everything..suits, dress shirts, ties, jeans, t-shirts...you name it I have it) and made my mom and siblings each a quilt out of my dad's clothing. None of them knew I was doing it and I gave it to each of them for Christmas - this is probably the thing I will remember for the rest of my life as the most touching gift I've ever given and they've ever received. I'd highly recommend that everyone keep a loved ones clothing and have quilts made out of them - too many people donate the clothing after a loved one passes away, keeping only a few items. Keep them all and have something that will be in your family for generations to come. You wont regret it, I promise. I love looking at each quilt made and while it was very difficult to cut his clothing up, it was also cathartic and each piece held memories of my dad wearing this tie, or this suit and even right down to the old worn jeans. Everyone kept pointing and saying "Remember when dad...." etc etc etc. This also can be done with your children's clothing - baby up to teen.

Comment

@above,

Kudos to you for being so thoughtful and sensitive in planning out the gifts especially that quilt idea is truly remarkable.
          URL Removed by Admin

Comment

Pandora, thanks for the quilt idea. When my dad passed away, he must have had 50 or so shirts hanging in his closet. My nephew snagged most of them, but I doubt he's going to wear them anymore. It was a phase he went through. I've just asked my sister to salvage as many of them as she can and send them to me. Dad quilts, here we come!
            Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

I actually buy books throughout the year for my dad and in-laws. I shop local library sales and yard sales. I will get a collection of hard back books for 5.00. Normally I will walk away with 50 books for 10.00.

I have also done the digital photos for them as well as framing art work I have worked on throughout the year.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
                Pandora, thanks for the quilt idea. When my dad passed away, he must have had 50 or so shirts hanging in his closet. My nephew snagged most of them, but I doubt he's going to wear them anymore. It was a phase he went through. I've just asked my sister to salvage as many of them as she can and send them to me. Dad quilts, here we come!
                You're welcome Glad you can get them back, thats great! I didnt know how to sew at all, let alone make a quilt, but read up online and picked a pattern that was easiest for me (I ended up doing 9 block squares) - while a bit more intensive than some easier patterns, it turned out beautiful. I used a 5X5 block size for each piece which turned out to be about 4X4 completed - 1 queen sized and 2 twins; I've yet to make myself a quilt, but will get around to it soon enough.

NowI'mDown - how about doing "coupons"? You can do so many different things; girls day out, mom and dad night, house cleaning, etc etc etc. I know it probably doesnt classify as one of those "thoughtful" gifts, its an option to throw in

Comment

My fondest gift is one that keeps giving. I met and married my favorite gift and enjoy her everyday. My second best gift was not bk, but what I learned from it. The freedom of being debt free cannot be replaced by a "thing".

Mrs. and I put what we needed or things that went 'right' in little tickets and envelope them to open on Christmas eve. It is like "Thanks" to our Maker. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    My fondest gift is one that keeps giving. I met and married my favorite gift and enjoy her everyday. My second best gift was not bk, but what I learned from it. The freedom of being debt free cannot be replaced by a "thing".

Mrs. and I put what we needed or things that went 'right' in little tickets and envelope them to open on Christmas eve. It is like "Thanks" to our Maker. 'Hub
                    Awww...thats sweet 'Hub - now bigger question is are you in the dog house for something? (joking!) hee hee

That's a great idea (the "tickets") - we all need reminders that "it could be worse" and to be thankful for what we do have in our lives.

Comment

we always have given MY in-laws gift certificates to their local food store. sometimes i had to purchase them on line. (not this year tho, since we are cutting back completely).

my in laws are NOT the "cozies" of people, where with my family i can give a poem or something of sentimental value, that just doesn't cut it with them. actually my in laws packed up every family picture in a box and sent them to my poor dh saying we don't have any room anymore for these. he was so upset..and i'm certain they didn't mean it in the way he took it.

what more can you give than food! so that's what we do and a nice card.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                        Awww...thats sweet 'Hub - now bigger question is are you in the dog house for something? (joking!) hee hee

That's a great idea (the "tickets") - we all need reminders that "it could be worse" and to be thankful for what we do have in our lives.
                        LOL. I'm always in the dog house. Yes, it seems that once we have calmed our lives, and something we are really in NEED for, somehow, it comes to us. Away around the problem, or unexpected solutions. I believe the attitude about life is a great healing. When you do not expect 'stuff' or lust after it, 'stuff' you need comes your way. Like supernatural.

For adults, no presents are necessary. For children, that is different. Even if you make a toy or gift, the giving it to a child is a gift to the giver. To see a smile on a child's face is the only gift you really need when you are an adult. Second gift that Mrs. and I do, is we make an excess of a turkey dinner, divvy it up into little meals and drive around our area to see some homeless people (yes we have them here too) and push a box out the car window, then move on to the next. We can usually do ten to twelve dinners out of our left overs.
                        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

For adults, no presents are necessary. For children, that is different. Even if you make a toy or gift, the giving it to a child is a gift to the giver. To see a smile on a child's face is the only gift you really need when you are an adult. Second gift that Mrs. and I do, is we make an excess of a turkey dinner, divvy it up into little meals and drive around our area to see some homeless people (yes we have them here too) and push a box out the car window, then move on to the next. We can usually do ten to twelve dinners out of our left overs.
                          this is so very true! and very sweet as well. this year we gave each other the "cleaning" of the air ducks...LOL!!!!! no turkey here!
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

years ago when I was 13 years...I had piano lessons for about a month, that was all my single mother of six could afford.. Well, to make a long story short, my husband picked me up and old garage sale Wurlitzer studio piano for $ 100.00 over 20 years ago and it was the best gift ever. Not only do I play for our church 7+ years. I'm quite good now and I'm thinking that if I'm not able to find a job maybe I can start giving lessons... My rescue Scottie, KadyLove, is also a gift that keeps giving, my good health and of course my two sons, they have my heart...now that I think about it, who cares about finances or credit scores...I am truly blessed and humbly thankful.

Comment

Oooh Bladerunner's post (very sweet btw) made me think of something else you could do NowImDown:

Can you find out what your parent's most favorite cherished toy was as a child and/or book, that they no longer have, but wished they'd kept? You may be able to find the item online through ebay or other sources for next to nothing. If its a book by chance, my husband collects old children's books and we have a ton of them. I can look through and see if I have it for you I'm certain he'd part with it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X