45% would prefer to skip Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45% would prefer to skip Christmas?

A survey of "1000 Americans across all income levels who use various forms of alternative financial services..." shows 45% feel so much financial pressure, they'd prefer to skip the season altogether.

Well, I would not want to skip the holidays, but certainly would prefer to do without all the shopping frenzy and the resulting traffic congestion and annoying tv commercials for all kinds of stuff you wouldn't buy except that you have to buy something.

I really enjoy getting together with friends more often, eating and drinking all the good stuff, and all the musical events. And hearing the retelling of the story behind the first Christmas. It makes the darkest days and the shortest days of the year more cheerful.

I realize a lot of businesses make a major portion of their income from the Christmas season, but there can be too much pressure to buy more and more things, especially if there are children involved, it's almost a guilt trip for parents and grandparents, I think.

So I'm in the 55%, with qualifications. How about you?

I agree. Christmas is supposed to be about spending time together as a family, not wasting money on overpriced junk that you'll never use. I understand that children expect gifts, but when you're dealing with adults only, there is no reason to buy into the holiday shopping hype. Most gifts go straight to the back of the closet, the donation pile, the dumpster, or are resold on Ebay or Craigslist. Very few are actually used and/or cherished. Family time is much more valuable.

Comment

I'm with you. I like Thanksgiving so much better for the reason stated above Pam

Comment

Since 'Hub and I usually purchase what we need/want during the year, we seldom buy each other anything at Christmas time, unless there is a something special that we are saving for. Since we already know what these are--and having been using them, we developed the habit of putting a card representing the item under the Christmas tree. The Christmas tree is a small table model that sits on a side table. When gift exchanging time comes, we take turns opening those cards, and give thanks for being able to purchase those items, and for being in good health to enjoy them.

We don't have any children, so we don't have that issue, and the adults in the family visit. We usually also prepare a Christmas dinner and take plates to some less fortunate friends.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

People put too much pressure on themselves when it comes to "giving". Hubby and I havent bought presents for each other for at least 20 years (and that includes birthdays, anniversary, etc). We buy for our children, our 4 nieces/nephews, and our mom's - thats it - and always have a price point for each person.

With that being said - I'd rather have a home-made ANYTHING than a store-bought something.

Never underestimate the power of a jar of homemade jam or bottle of homemade wine

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
            I agree. Christmas is supposed to be about spending time together as a family, not wasting money on overpriced junk that you'll never use. I understand that children expect gifts, but when you're dealing with adults only, there is no reason to buy into the holiday shopping hype. Most gifts go straight to the back of the closet, the donation pile, the dumpster, or are resold on Ebay or Craigslist. Very few are actually used and/or cherished. Family time is much more valuable.
            Well said.

The adults in my family have pretty much agreed to not give any gifts to each other. We still give gifts to the children/teenagers/early 20-somethings in our extended family. I just get them gift cards (to stores they like or if I'm not sure, then I just give them cash) and let them buy whatever they want, so nothing goes to waste-- nothing ends up stuffed into the back of their closet, in the donation pile, or in a dumpster.

This year I'm heading back to Oregon for about a month to spend time with my family. It's a command performance this time around, or I wouldn't go at this time of the year when the weather is wonderful in Phoenix and so horrible in Oregon. But it will be great to spend some quality time with my folks and my brothers and sisters and their families again.

So, this will be my final post on here for quite some time.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And good luck to everyone.
            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Well, I had a good time in Oregon visiting friends and family, but I am sure glad to be back in Phoenix again.
              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

I love Christmas for many of the same reasons stated... And I try and get all my shopping done throughout the year.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X