Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Artistic Exodus From Colorado

What a difference five years make!
    When I was posting my "official" goodbye to Colorado on social media earlier this week, I noticed that responses varied with the location of the poster - those still living here barely acknowledged it while those already living in another state were more supportive, as though they too had come to the same conclusion - they needed to relocate in order to improve their lives or reignite their carriers!
    Even before becoming bankrupt, I noticed how many fellow actors, singers and especially VO artists had migrated to more artistically rich areas like NM(visually barren like Co.), Atlanta, and LA (of course) etc. Some acting coaches and fellow performers have died, instead of voluntarily exiting the area.
    While Seattle is not a film hotbed, it is certainly more lively and diverse than monolithic- minded Colorado ( twinned mountains and marijuana) and Vancouver Canada is only a couple of hours away.( At present, we have no plans to visit soon, but just knowing it's a short road trip away is comforting after twelve years in boring mountainous isolation.)
    While filing BK13 is a "financial decision", it is a creative/ performing arts killer because this debtor had to stop using their imagination to write stories, they had to stop taking film acting classes, auditioning, getting headshots and getting other business essentials done. Instead, they had to keep their head down and focus on surviving the required five-year bankruptcy term and hope that the trustee would leave them alone, and would be satisfied with what they were able to repay. I think few of you in office jobs, hi-tech or the medical professions (except Carmella who gets it all all the time! LOL!) can understand how devastating giving up something you did for so long can feel. You just can't pick up where you left off like when you change jobs. Your life stops dead in its tracks and suddenly you have to start over with little to guide you. You are sidetracked and your near future is completely derailed.
    I have always envied those people I knew who left and continued to enrich their life by exploring their artistic impulses. I am five years behind everyone else, but at least I too can finally leave!!!!!
    As Martin Luther King famously said "Free at last!!!!!!"
    Last edited by Barbisi; 05-19-2022, 09:18 AM.

You are on your way Barbisi Free to do whatever you want to do, try whatever you want to try.

A coworker visited Colorado, young family member had moved there, and they loved their vacation and all I could think is "lovely place to visit, not to live!"

Do check in and update

I plan to check in after we are free and clear.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X