2022 Tax Return Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Tax Return Update

It turns out my husband didn't take in account the 10% 401k default penalty when he first calculated the taxes via an online tax preparation service. When he redid the forms, he caught the mistake and found we'll lose a couple of hundred dollars of our refund, but nothing too terrible. We'll still get a pretty healthy amount back which is surprising considering how our situation looked this time last year.
    I was convinced we would owe a lot because of the one 401k loan we were not able to successfully pay off from the home sale proceeds. Of course, I didn't take into account that we would be earning in excess of the 132K SS tax limit for the first time ever and that we therefore paid too much tax from Zombie13's increased salary upfront.
    We currently have no revolving monthly debt aside from the one credit building auto loan and plan to continue renting for the foreseeable future. (Naturally, we are using our two high limit CCs nearly every month but never carry a balance.)
    While this post-BK13 info cannot be construed as real advice to others, it may demonstrate that careful planning, changing to a job with a meaningful raise and relocating to a different state (or country) may yield unexpected results.
    Lesson learned - no awful and ill-advised fixer upper mortgaged home for us, thank you!
    Last edited by Barbisi; 02-22-2023, 02:09 PM.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X