top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it help your credit score to pay off loan early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it help your credit score to pay off loan early?

I was just wondering if it would matter much to pay off 5 year car loan, in say 2-3 years?

Does that help the credit rating...or not much?

Not as much as you think. What helps is the amount of debt limit you have compared to how much debt you actually have. For instance if you had credit card limits of $50k, but your total balance on them is $5k, that really helps your score. Also, if you pay off your loan early then you are not receiving a positive for paying on time every month. There are many factors regarding your score. Bottom line is if your interest rate is high pay it off fast, if it is very low, than invest your money to make it work for you.

Good Luck
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

bkparalegal makes a good point there; the best way to build good credit is to show long, timely payment history.

also a lot of loans aren't actually any cheaper if you pay them off faster; look into the details of your loan...
      Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
      (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
        I was just wondering if it would matter much to pay off 5 year car loan, in say 2-3 years?

Does that help the credit rating...or not much?
        What works for one credit wise is paying all bills on time, more than the minimum payment and keeping balances on credit cards at 30% or less of the total credit available. Running up balances and keeping high balances on credit cards, close to your available limit, causes severe damage.

As to the vehicle loan, it all depends on what interest rate you have and what you can afford. If you pay diligently on the vehicle for 2 to 3 years with no late payments, that is a big plus for you but remember that you are paying mostly interest in the first few years of the vehicle loan and the principle does not go down that much. You would have a few things to consider there as to what you want to do as to that loan and your financial position at the time.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X