how long to wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long to wait?

I was Discharged last week.... I have been waiting for this BK to be over to get a more family friendly car.

My Question....How long should you wait after Discharge to start looking for a new (or used) car?

Some say about six months after. Much of what you will get in the way of credit, will depend on what your credit report looked like before you filed (unless you can clean a bunch of the hold junk off). While the items read IIB, they have the payment history on there, which is like 35% of your credit score. A poor payment history will follow you post BK until those items fall off.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It also depends on your current job, whether you have been there at least a year. We just got horrible terms offered to us by our dealer because my husband has been at his job less than a year. Even though our payment history before bk was perfect.
      Filed Chapter 7: 3/12/09
      341 Meeting: 4/14/09 case declared "asset"
      Trustee ordered discharge/change to "no asset" 4/24/09
      Discharged 6/25/09; Closed 6/30/09

Comment

Luckily i have been at my place of business for almost 2 years....
        I am doing a ride thru... but, need a more family friendly car. I am hoping to find something. I read someone's post awhile back about getting a great deal from Ford a day after discharge.

Comment

I went 2 weeks after discharge, but you will get AWFUL terms. I had no other choice and had to take it (extremely high interest rate). GMAC had excellent history with me for 2 cars, but wouldn't finance me at all.

What I am going to do is stay current (as I always have before) on the car and 8-10 months out refinance the loan to get a better interest rate.

You will be in a position to get a better deal interest-wise 8-12 months out from discharge.
          Filed Chap 7 on 3/6/2009
          341 on 4/15/2009
          Discharged 6/16/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X