Just got 4.75% on my car loan!.....Just over a year post-discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got 4.75% on my car loan!.....Just over a year post-discharge

2 months after discharge I got a new car loan from GTE FCU for 12.9%....Ouch!!! But my wife needed a car and I needed to reestablish some credit, so I was stoked to get a loan at any rate. My score was 570 at the time. After making 12 payments (and getting my score up to 684), I called them and got it refinanced at 4.75%! They charged me a $50 application fee, but my payment went from around $350 to $276. Now I can use that extra money to pay it down quicker. Hopefully my score will increase significantly, by the time I pay it off.
    Filed Ch. 13 w/lien strip- 2/5/09
    Converted to Ch. 7- 2/26/09
    341- 4/8/09
    Trustee's Report of No Distribution filed-4/14/09 ; DISCHARGED and CLOSED!!!-6/10/09

Nice!!! $276 is a very reasonable payment and like you said you can now if you wanted to keep sending the $350 and pay it off at least a year early I would think. Well done!!!
    New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Originally posted by UpsideDown View Post
      2 months after discharge I got a new car loan from GTE FCU for 12.9%....Ouch!!!
      GTE is great! We got our accounts with them as well (what a small world we're living in..). 12.9% is not that bad right after BK - and 4.75% is great!
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
      FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
      FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I am going to see about refinancing at a lower rate on my car as well after 12 months. I knew I'd have a higher than normal finance rate, due to the chapter 7. I am fine with it. I am just happy to be in a brand new car.
        Chapter 7 filed 2/26/2010
        341 meeting 4/18/2010
        Discharged 6/14/2010-On our way back up the ladder from a rough patch.
        FICO score goal by June 2011:720+

Comment

@ Upsidedown and IBroke. Were either of you members of GTE prior to being approved for the car loan? I know GTE used to write for the dealership I work for and would sign up members when approved for car loans. I was wondering if being a member prior to apply for a loan would help with the process. Thanks for replies.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X