top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointed. May have to return vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed. May have to return vehicle.

I purchased a car three weeks ago only to find out today that Honda denied credit. I still have Capital One blank check but loan to value clause has me thinking that maybe this won't work. Thoughts? This sucks.
    Retained attorney 4/14/09
    Filed 5/29/09 :yahoo:
    341 meeting 7/8/09 DONE! :yahoo::yes2:
    DISCHARGED!!!!!!! 10/16/09 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

i used the capital one blank check program. and loan to value is already calculated on the forms they mailed to you and also listed when you log onto the site under your account. it takes into account the total loan versus the value of the car (i.e., edmunds, kelly)... i ended up getting a great deal at a local dealership using this check program on a nice used car that was still 'certified'... within their guidelines for the perks (transmission and engine covered for life etc.). i did a lot of research all over town at all the dealerships before choosing a vehicle though. and when you walk into the dealership, that check is just like giving them cash so you can barter with them. i got them to come down on the price of my car about 1,500 dollars.

Comment

I see. Well, to give some background, LTV is 110%. The cash price of car is $19,385. Add in the taxes, tags and "dealer extras" and everything comes out to $26,800. Not sure that meets the guideline, LTV limit. I feel like a total idiot. Sorry to be a downer.

Comment

Originally posted by jb1231 View Post
        The cash price of car is $19,385. Add in the taxes, tags and "dealer extras" and everything comes out to $26,800.
        WHAT?? What "dealer-extras" add $5,000 to the price (and I already considered sales-tax)? Tags aren't that expensive either..

I recommend you purchase a car for its value. Buying a $19K car for almost 27K is a VERY BAD idea.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Let's see:

Lo Jack= $995
          Paint Protection= $995
          Service Contract= $2400
          GAP= $750
          License & registration= $343

Those first four items are optional but they managed to toss them in there. The tax on the vehicle price plus those items is $1875.

Comment

Dang, am I going to have to go down there with guns-a-blazin'? (figuratively speaking, of course).

Comment

You are getting RIPPED!

$2400 for a service contract is absolutely ridiculous. If it's a certified vehicle then why do you need the extended warranty? At MOST I wouldn't pay more than $900 for a service contract ... and if you are buying a certified car I wouldn't even bother.

Tell them to take the low jack out of the car - you don't want that. Also paint protection is a load of bull - take that off too.

Comment

Take the car back today. No way in the world I would spend 7k over the "cost" of the car. No way...
                Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
                The rebuilding begins

Comment

I would look on this as a blessing (to be able to get out of this deal).

I worked for a car dealer as a service department cashier and I can tell you that the paint protection/undercarriage protection/upholstery protection is a joke and 90%+ profit for a dealer. Service contracts are also a huge $$ maker for dealers and usually are not what they are cracked up to be when you need them.

You can usually buy GAP insurance (auto-loan coverage) from your insurance company much cheaper than from a dealer, too.

Good luck in finding a better deal for you.
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by jb1231 View Post
                    Let's see:

Lo Jack= $995
                    Paint Protection= $995
                    Service Contract= $2400
                    GAP= $750
                    License & registration= $343

Those first four items are optional but they managed to toss them in there. The tax on the vehicle price plus those items is $1875.
                    Have them removed. They can't toss them in there without your permission.

Comment

I, too, have a Cap One blank check for a car and since I just read the details this morning, I can tell you that you can't put the GAP on that check - it's not allowed. If that dealer wants your business, and usually they do, they will find a way to lower the cost of that car plus extras to exactly what you can put on the blank check and not a penny more. What I can't understand is that they let you drive off the lot with a brand new car, only to tell you three weeks later you didn't quality for financing? Now, that's a trusting dealer!
                      Filed Chapter 7 pro se: 1/27/10
                      341 scheduled for: 2/25/10
                      Last day for objections: 4/26/10
                      Discharged! - 5/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by hedgecat View Post
                        I, too, have a Cap One blank check for a car and since I just read the details this morning, I can tell you that you can't put the GAP on that check - it's not allowed. If that dealer wants your business, and usually they do, they will find a way to lower the cost of that car plus extras to exactly what you can put on the blank check and not a penny more. What I can't understand is that they let you drive off the lot with a brand new car, only to tell you three weeks later you didn't quality for financing? Now, that's a trusting dealer!

That happens more than you would think. Most of the time they may let you drive off the lot, but then call you back in if the terms of the loan change. I have seen that happen when my ex bought her car.
                        Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
                        The rebuilding begins

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                          I would look on this as a blessing (to be able to get out of this deal).

I worked for a car dealer as a service department cashier and I can tell you that the paint protection/undercarriage protection/upholstery protection is a joke and 90%+ profit for a dealer. Service contracts are also a huge $$ maker for dealers and usually are not what they are cracked up to be when you need them.

You can usually buy GAP insurance (auto-loan coverage) from your insurance company much cheaper than from a dealer, too.

Good luck in finding a better deal for you.
                          Thank you for that info. I always knew that extra stuff was crazy.

Comment

You are getting RIPPED OFF. Walk, er RUN, away while you still can.
                            Stopped paying CCs 1/10 | Stopped paying mortgages 2/10 | Interviewed attorneys 3/10-5/10 | Retained attorney 5/14/10 | Delivered paperwork to attorney 6/17/10 | Filed Ch7 7/9/10 | 341 8/16/10 | Objection Deadline 10/15/10 | DISCHARGED 10/20/10

Comment

When I bought my Honda, I negotiated over the phone with a couple of dealers. I had made a deal with one dealer and the guy called me back to tell me that the car has a paint protection package and hub locks and wanted to add $250 forr the Paint protection and $150 for the locks that I could get at Kragent for $75. I told him I didn't want those items and wouldn't pay for them. They removed the locks and threw in the paint package, which is a few strips of rubber on the edges of the doors and around the wheel wells.

For anyone buying a new car, I highly recommend the Consumer Reports Car Buying Guide. (I'm sure there are other sources out there too). One thing it tells you is don't let them sell you the dealer options. They are over priced and can be had elsewhere for less. It's too easy to be taken advantage of if you aren't educated. Prepare yourself before walking onto the dealer's turf. Once you decided on a car, the CR's New Car Price Report is a good resource. It costs $14 and tells you exacatly what the dealer is paying for the car and what dealer incentives are currently available from the manufacturer. You shouldn't pay more than 5% over the dealer's cost, after inccentives. I think I read that the dealers are usually happy with 2 or 3%, depending on the demand for the model. If you know what they are paying and how much profit they are willing to live with, you are in a much better bargaining position. There is also a $12 Used Car Price Report which I haven't used.

The one extra I bought was the maintenance contract. It covers a certain number of miles, regardless of how long it takes me to drive that far (I have a very short commute). The warranty doesn't cover routine mainenance. I knew the car payment (including the cost of the maintenance) would be paid through my Chap 13 plan and only decrease the amount going to unsecured creditors. It is nice to not have to worry about paying for maintenance during most of my Chap 13. But, I bought it knowing that I was probably paying more than I would if I paid for each service as I needed it.
                              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X