Does anyone have any experience in....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have any experience in....

filing bankruptcy, surrending your car and then try and buy it back at an auction or from the bank? I am just wondering..... Thanks Yall!

If you purchased your car more than 910 days prior to filing, or refinanced, then you can redeem it directly with the bank -- with permission of the Court. Otherwise, trying to find the auction and go to it, is probably not even worth the trouble.

Redemption allows you to pay the current value (usually the wholesale price in most Districts), and not the balance on the loan. Where will you get exempt funds to do this?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I brought my car in 2007. My dad wants to buy it. Thanks fir the advice! I wonder if it's too late to redeem since my 341 is on October 14th...

Comment

Originally posted by Rozi View Post
        I brought my car in 2007. My dad wants to buy it. Thanks fir the advice! I wonder if it's too late to redeem since my 341 is on October 14th...
        You only need to redeem by discharge (or at least have a Redemption Order by discharge). As eluded to, you would need to file a Motion to Redeem Property specifying just how you're going to pay for (or finance) the redemption.

I don't recall if you filed with an attorney, but if you did file through an attorney... then you will need to ask them about Redemption. (Noting that some attorneys charge extra to file a Redemption motion upon the court.)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X