Car from parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car from parents

I received my discharge a couple of days ago and want to know when would be a good time to put a car under my name. I have been driving the car for a couple of months but wanted to wait until after my bk was discharged to fully place the title under my name instead of my parents. Any idea when i could do this.

fyi: The car has never been under my name. I forfeited my old car under the bk and do not want to buy which is why i am taking my parents old car.

I am also interested in this question; my husband lost his job 7 weeks ago and we are in early days of a Chapter 13, we have had the 341 meeting, are making payments, and confirmation is in April. If my husband doesn't find a job by confirmation in 6 more weeks we will have to convert to a 7. In the 7, we will have to surrender one vehicle that we are leasing ($625 a month) and my FIL has an old car my husband can use and FIL wants to transfer the title to us, but we aren't sure when he can do that as we can't have the trustee taking the car that is being given to us. TIA

Comment

Techincally, somebody can give you a car after your Chap 7 filing date and you can take title immediately, as long as it was not received as part of an inheritance. To be safe and avoid the possibility of having to answer questions, I'd wait until after your case is closed.

Whenver you decide to take title, check with your attorney first.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you LadyInTheRed, your posts are so helpful on this forum!

Comment

Totally agree, if not a pressing matter I would wait a bit. They can come back to you within a certain amount of time to verify assets from what I remember although after the discharge that almost never happens. On the other hand, waiting until your case closes could be a while. Mine took over a year to close for no other reason than they are just slow from what I gather. I would say after 90 days you should be fine.
          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X