Lender Contacting me after Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lender Contacting me after Discharge

I received my discharge in 2014. I had a 1st and 2nd (HELOC) and did not reaffirm my house. I have always remained current on the 1st but have not paid on the 2nd since before filing. All of a sudden, for the past 2 months, I am getting letters from Chase, with the name of "my customer service rep", just to let me know they are available to "assist me" should I need their help. The letters do not say they are attempting to collect a debt, only that " if I am in BK, I should have my attorney contact them". The house is still upside down by $100k, and the 2nd has a balance of $42k = -142k and zero equity. At first I thought it was an error, but this is the 2nd letter and I wanted to see if this has ever happened to any one else or get some insight before contacting them.

Thanks for any responses!

Are you planning to keep the house? If so, the time to act is when the HELOC is completely unsecured--don't wait until you have paid down the first mortgage and the property value has increased, creating equity for the HELOC. With the loan currently unsecured by over $100,000, now is the time to offer a settlement of around 5%. You should be able to settle for 5% to 10%, which will release the lien and prevent any future uncertainty.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X