Credit monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit monitoring

I am wondering what products everyone uses to monitor there credit scores? Some that I have heard of are my fico/creditchecktotal. I don't want to incur a cost for this monthly however it seems there is no other way since the annual report can only be pulled once a year.

At one point I paid for a variety of services. The worst service (slowest to alert) was Life Lock. It's funny because they were the most expensive.

Credit Karma and Credit Sesame's alerts usually arrived first -- and they're free. I remember Costco's credit monitoring was good too, but they cost money.

As long as you aren't concerned with your FICO score, I'd stick with both Credit Karma and Credit Sesame.

Comment

Discover will give anyone a free score monthly and it's your FICO TU score. You don't receive alerts but it gives you an idea of where you are. As mentioned, Credit Karma and Credit Sesame are free and give alerts. They also have apps that make it convenient to check your progress but the are not FICO scores so they should be used only as a general guideline about your credit health. Capital One has an app as well for their Credit Wise program (again, not FICO).
      I have paid for myFICO twice ($30 for scores from all three bureaus for a month-they have an even more expensive one) and am only going to do so from now on if I'm looking to get credit. It is nice because they give you a more detailed, once a quarter report that includes all your scores (mortgage, auto, credit card, and many versions of FICO). I will buy it again when I'm ready to get a mortgage but I think it's pricey and I really don't need to know where my FICO scores are every day of the week. It was helpful to see how new credit lines and utilization impact my scores going forward.
      Nerd Wallet and BankRate give you a monthly free FICO score, but I believe it's TU as well so it's redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by kberly69 View Post
        Nerd Wallet and BankRate give you a monthly free FICO score, but I believe it's TU as well so it's redundant.
        Sadly, Nerd Wallet and Bank Rate do not provide free FICO scores -- they're both VantageScores. I do agree, though, that Discover's service (creditscorecard.com) is a good way to get a free FICO score.

Comment

Yes, you're right! Sorry about that. I would add Experian- they have an app as well and give you an updated FICO 8 score for free.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X