Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorized user?

I'm recently discharged from a Chapter 13. My mother was also recently diagnosed with dementia. I'm doing errands and shopping for my parents as my father also finds it difficult to get out of the house. He mentioned adding me as an authorized user on his credit card to make this easier. I haven't started rebuilding credit yet - would a credit card company even consider adding me as an authorized user? I have no experience with that process at all, but thought someone on this board might. The card would be for their pirchases only and their credit is excellent (so I dont want my credit to pull theirs down.) Thanks for any advice.

Hi lessthanzero ...adding you as an authorized user wouldn't be an issue. When an authorized user is added to an account, the owner of the account has to agree that they are responsible for any charges that you incur. As such, you shouldn't be disqualified It will show on your credit report which can be helpful.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Being added as an authorized user is one of the best ways to build credit. There is, however, one thing to watch out. If the cardholder defaults, pays late, or has a high utilization rate, it can affect you more than not being an authorized user. If that card account was established more than 5 years ago, then it would have even a greater affect as your "average age of accounts" will be longer.

There are benefits, but be careful with the downside. Hopefully it's a credit card that has a large limit and that no more than 9-29% is being revolved.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X