Post BK 7 Credit Card Timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post BK 7 Credit Card Timeline?

I searched for credit card timeline but didn't find any posts about it.

I'm nearly done with my Ch 7. My plan post discharge was to get a NFCU Secured Card as I'm already a member there and didn't burn them in the BK. I also heard they don't report "secured" cards as secured on the credit bureau. For two other cards I was considering Mission Lane and Capital One. I've heard Mission Lane is pretty easy to get although it won't have a high limit. I had a 20+ year history with Capital One including a couple car loans with never a late payment and didn't burn them either. I've heard the Capital One Quicksilver card is a frequent first card many obtain post BK soI figured I'd have a decent chance there.

My question is how long should I wait after discharge before applying for Mission Lane and Capital One? I plan to get the NFCU Secured card as soon as the discharge goes on record. After I have that how many months do you recommend waiting for the other two? My plan is to have those three cards, along with my mortgage, car loan, and solar panel loan (I reaffirmed all those in the BK). That way I should have a good "mix" to garden a few years.

If people would also be willing to post their post BK card wait times that would be great. That way I could see how long others waited and the results.

Thank you.

Congratulations on starting your recovery.

A few comments in no particular order:
    • While I don't know if the NFCU nRewards card reports as secured or not, it is effectively irrelevant as having a card report as secured is ignored by other lenders. My TDCash card (which started out with a $5,000 limit) reported as a secured card and that never held me back from getting other cards.
    • Depending on your needs, the CapOne Quicksilver (my second card) and/or the SavorOne cards are both good starter card, but for different reasons, so they are complimentary.
    • Mission Lane, while arguably the best of the bottom feeders, is a card I personally would avoid unless all other options are already exhausted.
    • Regarding how long to wait following the discharge, six weeks is a good waiting period; in that time you can pull your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and make sure all accounts are reporting properly. Trying to apply sooner than than works for some and not others; I jumped the gun and ended up with 8 hard pulls against my credit without a single approval; my 9th hard pull finally yielded me my secured credit card.
    • Once you get your third card, sit on the three for at least a year before looking further afield.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X