Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cards for large limit for travel

Hi all,

I received my discharge (Ch 7) almost a year ago and have 2 cards (one with a 4500 limit and another with 1300 limit). I've kept current on these cards for last year. Here is my dilemma- I have a new job that requires 75% travel and need a card with no limit. American Express turned me down and my other cards will not increase limit to 15k to allow me to float expenses. What banks have good secured card programs that let me put down 15k in cash and have a 15k limit without punitive rates and fees?

Your best bet would be to try local credit unions. Besides that, I am not aware of any mainstream bank that provides exactly what you're looking for. You could try the US Airways Mastercard from Juniper, or the Circuit City Platinum Visa from Chase.... I have both with decent limits as a couple of my best cards, but the limits are not anywhere near the amount you are looking for. Also the Hooters Mastercard tends to have a better limit for being right out of bk, but their interest rates generally suck.
    Last edited by FilingOnMyOwn; 02-24-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mixxalot View Post
      What banks have good secured card programs that let me put down 15k in cash and have a 15k limit without punitive rates and fees?
      Is the AmEx card that turned you down is the usual one your employer asks their employees to use?

Since your requested limit is so high, does your company reimburse you so slowly that you need that $15K limit to ensure you have enough room to keep traveling? I travel in-country almost every week for my job and don't need $15K - probably around $8K would do it - but my company also reimburses quickly and all my travel is inside the US. Do you have to travel outside the US?
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

International travel

Right now I am just traveling within the US. I might have to travel overseas however. I put a request in for my current cards to get extension so if they dont extend then need another option. Company has no standard corporate card- basically we have to have our own credit cards to use to travel. Expenses are re-imbursed every 2 weeks.

Comment

Company has no standard corporate card- basically we have to have our own credit cards to use to travel. Expenses are re-imbursed every 2 weeks.
          It always amazes me when a company requires employees to travel on company business but forces them pay for it themselves on their own personal credit cards....sheesh!

You're in a tough spot, mixxalot. Sounds like you are exploring the best options under the circumstances. I'm thinking that your company likely has other employees in tough financial circumstances who can't get credit. Depending on how much you want your company to know, you could speak with Human Resources and see what options may have been put in place for those employees who must travel but at this time can't qualify for credit to do so. Hope you can work out something very soon - keep us posted, ok?
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks- yeah I checked with HR and they told me my weekly expenses would be about 1200 per week. I applied and was accepted for a new WAMU Providian mastercard with a 2k limit so this will help as well. So looks good.
            I should have about 8k limit with the three cards per month.

It does suck that the company does not offer corporate cards however since its a small company they are not able to do this right now.
            When I spoke to the travel expense lady she told me that expenses are paid back every 2 weeks to direct deposit. So think I will be able to wing it.

I will also go ahead and apply with other places to see if I can get a couple more additional cards with 2-5k limits besides my local bank and credit unions. WAMU/Providian approved me right away and think I can get a few more cards with a 2-3k limit to get my available credit up to 20k. That should be sufficient for travel costs. Hotels, airfare, taxis and rental cars are very expense these days. I checked and average hotel is almost 200 bucks a night! When I took taxi from San Francisco airport, it cost me $100 round trip.

Comment

Hi all,

I received my discharge (Ch 7) almost a year ago and have 2 cards (one with a 4500 limit and another with 1300 limit). I've kept current on these cards for last year. Here is my dilemma- I have a new job that requires 75% travel and need a card with no limit. American Express turned me down and my other cards will not increase limit to 15k to allow me to float expenses. What banks have good secured card programs that let me put down 15k in cash and have a 15k limit without punitive rates and fees?
              Unsecured: Hooters Card (from Merrick Bank) no joke - they give very generous limits.

Secured: There are many places that will allow you to go that high if you have the $15K on hand... Orchard comes to mind but there are many others. Check out: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=2

PS: For international you don't actually want an Amex. You want a VISA (1st) and a MasterCard (2nd). I travel quite a lot overseas, but luckily, using a company card.

Best of luck,
              - snb

Comment

Thanks- I am okay for now. Since I was approved for the US Air card, WAMU card, and Circuit City cards, that gives me another 5k in credit besides my current 5800 limit. Expenses are re-imbursed every pay period 2 weeks so should be fine. If I keep the cards just for hotel and airfare it should be fine. I can use my debit check card for meals and incidentals. At 75% travel that works out to a hotel maybe 2-3 days a week (600*4=2400/month) and airfare (2k/month). When I spoke to the travel person they told me average consultant expenses work out to be about 1200/week so should be fine. Thanks again for your help. I agree- it is a royal pain to travel without a corporate AMEX card (I had one at last job where I traveled) and there is no monthly limit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X