corporate american express questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corporate american express questions

in my BK i included my personal american express account. my new job requires frequent travel and i have requested a corporate credit card and i have learned they use american express. will i be at risk of being denied a corporate american express card since i have discharged my personal account? does anyone know if corporate applications request a social ecurity number? i am hoping to avoid any issues and not disclosing my personal financial history.

There is a high precentage that your employer recieved a credit report before you were hired. I urge you to quit hiding things.
    regards,
    emoney

Comment

i agree & understand to not hide things. but do you know if american express will request a SS# for a corporate application and/or deny my application?

Comment

My experience from several years ago, was that AX has two different types of corporate accounts. One account is for small corporations and the other for large ones. In the small company the employee is also lible for the debt. This is why they get your SS#. The other account does not require the employee to be responsible for the monthly charge.
        regards,
        emoney

Comment

Troublmaker 98-

Please keep us up to date on your experience. I am looking at taking a different job which will include a corporate Amex card.
          Filed 8/25/06, Discharged 11/28/06, CASE CLOSED 11/14/2007!

Comment

Actually, my husband works for a BIG company and he got an amex and they did ask for his SS#. Companies also can get your information with full name and date of birth, they don't necessary need to have your SS# to find out if you its really you.

Comment

AMEX canceled our personal cards when we filed in December, but both my wife & I work for large corporations and our corporate AMEX cards are still active and work fine.

Comment

My husband and I filed BK on our personal AmEx cards and they DID cancel my corporate card--and my company has +100,000 employees. My company went to them to try and get them to re-open it and the absolutely refused to do it, despite the fact it was current.

It might depend on how much was included in the BK--we had 3 cards and probably $30K that we BK'd with them.

Comment

yes, AMEX will deny you. you will need to give your SSN. It is your card that is under the company plan but still tied to your SSN.

Comment

Originally posted by dcprdiva View Post
                    yes, AMEX will deny you. you will need to give your SSN. It is your card that is under the company plan but still tied to your SSN.

I agree. My brother works for the State and they use AMEX. Even though the state pays his bills, his ss# is tied to it. It has both the state name on it and his name and was issued through his employer.
                    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I do not doubt the fact that you have to give your ss#, and they may know that about the bk, but the corporation is the bill payer, and responsible for bills charged on the corporate account. I work for a company now which uses a USbank visa and never had an issue. My FICO is currently 730. I still have the bk, but my FICO score should help, right?
                      Filed 8/25/06, Discharged 11/28/06, CASE CLOSED 11/14/2007!

Comment

simple way to find out for sure: Call them and ask. You do not have to say who you are.

But I can tel you that with the State where my brother works, if there are people with credit problems, they have to pay cash or other means for their travel and then put in for a reimbursement check. Amex would not issue them to everyone. My brother actually had to fill out a credit app with AMEX shortly after he was hired. Though the company pays the bill, they do not gaurantee payment of the card.

For example. He could go out and spend $5,000 on an expense that is not on the State's list of allowed expenses. He is then responsible to making that payment directly to AMEX and if he is late it goes on his credit report.

So yes, the corporation is the payor in most cases, that is just a courtesy to the employee so the employee doesn't have to wait for a reimbursement check. But the person guaranteeing payment of the card is the employee.

It would be very rare for a corporate card to be issued to an employee without a personal guarantee. You would need to a partner or owner or at least a high level executive for that to be the case.
                        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Amex has options where the company can guarantee the payment and it usually takes a department head or vice-president to send them a letter of guarantee. Amex will usually ask the company to put a credit limit - such as $3000 on the card but you CAN get a card issued. You just have to ask your company to do it for you.
                          SUX to do that, but then it beats having to get company advances or use your own reserves.

Comment

I filed a personal 7 11 years ago with AMEX on it. My wife and I have a business and she applied for a small business card and we've been using that ever since. A year or so ago she was approved for an AMEX Starwood card and they rejectedme as an additional card holder yet they approved me for the small business card.

I may have a decent opportunity with a large company and will likely need an AMEX for travel. The BK is not on my credit report anymore.

I thought it was odd that they approved me as an added card holder on the business ( and they look at my creit files all the time too ). Any thoughts as to how they'd deal with a large employer asking for a card from me ? My last large employer never asked me to complete an appication - the card just appeard in the mail. I'd file expense reports and they'd cut me a check which I sent off to AMEX.
                            Last edited by idainc; 03-01-2008, 05:04 AM.

Comment

my experience...when my company (10K + employees) decided to start using amex for corporate charges, people with bk's were denied. I can't say how it works if you already have an amex corp card and then you file bk.
                              May 2008: Filed Chapter 13
                              Jan 2010: Plan Amended and Confirmed! finally plan funds = total funds due!
                              Jul 2013: 5 years done! Trustee set to discharge! Woo hoooo!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X