Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
    BOA doesn't need clients like us (bkforum). They also denied my application for a 100% secured card. I find that quite funny since they want to sell this card as a way to "build" or "rebuild" credit. The reason for the deny was my BK - so there goes the "rebuilding"-theory. And no, I didn't BK them...
    HAHA! I can't believe them idiots at BOA declined a SECURED card! WTH!

Eh, you're better off without them anyone.
    I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
    Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

For secured cards, I continue to recommend Public Savings Bank and/or Addison Avenue FCU. Approval in either case is automatic (once they have the security deposit) and they report monthly to the CRA's.

In the case of Addison Avenue FCU, they also have the most outstanding member service of any CU I've ever belonged to, and far, far, FAR better service than any bank I've dealt with in my life.

Disclosure: Public Savings Bank advertises on several of my sites. (Addison Avenue FCU doesn't.)

-Rich
      Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
      Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

Originally posted by dumpinmydebt View Post
        HAHA! I can't believe them idiots at BOA declined a SECURED card! WTH!

Eh, you're better off without them anyone.
        Yeah - in the end, I actually feel better knowing that these morons won't get any of my money.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

A week after discharge, I just got a capitol one with $39 annual fee, $500 limit reward card. Based on this thread I was expecting a higher limit and no annual fee, but if I charge all my gas to this plus some groceries, the rewards should more than cover the fee. I only got it to rebuild credit, to use and pay back every month, so I don't really care about the low limit.

Comment

Enchanted Attire:

Checked out their site but this ran me away:

"You acknowledge that you are submitting your personal information for a line of credit. A one time ($195.00) activation fee will be charged to your credit card upon clicking the "PROCESS APPLICATION" button below. Our low monthly fee of $19.95 will be debited from this card on the 1st of each month. Thats only $0.66 cents a day!"

Thanks, but no thanks.

Comment

Frustrated!!!

Well, don't know what I am doing wrong. I make about 20,000 a year, my BK7 was discharged in August of last year. A store card with an $850 credit limit managed to slip through. Since then I have only been able to get approved for Credit One at a $300 cl. I would really like a CapOne card, they keep sending me offers. But every time I apply I get a rejection letter, not because of my bk but because my income is insufficient!

HSBC also declines me. Both are banks that I did NOT discharge. =(

I'm thinking of just using the Credit One and store card to help rebuild my score, but I feel like I am doing something wrong! My TU score is still only 563, and I am sure the other two are no better. I am moving in with my boyfriend this summer, is it asking too much to have my score in the low 600s by September for when we go apartment shopping?
              Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
              Discharged: August 2010
              A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
                Well, don't know what I am doing wrong. I make about 20,000 a year, my BK7 was discharged in August of last year. A store card with an $850 credit limit managed to slip through. Since then I have only been able to get approved for Credit One at a $300 cl. I would really like a CapOne card, they keep sending me offers. But every time I apply I get a rejection letter, not because of my bk but because my income is insufficient!

HSBC also declines me. Both are banks that I did NOT discharge. =(

I'm thinking of just using the Credit One and store card to help rebuild my score, but I feel like I am doing something wrong! My TU score is still only 563, and I am sure the other two are no better. I am moving in with my boyfriend this summer, is it asking too much to have my score in the low 600s by September for when we go apartment shopping?
                I'd recommend a secured card. You can get one with as little as a $500.00 initial deposit, and it will help you build credit while your income (hopefully) grows to a level that will allow you to get more prestigious, unsecured cards.

My two personal favorites are Public Savings Bank, and Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union. If I could only have one, I'd go with Addison Avenue, just because their member services are the best I've ever come across at any financial institution.

-Rich

Comment

I started with a secured card with my local CU. After one year it goes unsecured and I get my deposit back. After reading some of the posts on here about Capital One (who I discharged $6k in the BK) I thought I'd give them a try. I went to the pre-qualify section but no offers came up. I tried anyway and was approved for $1000 at 24.9% interest. $19 annual fee (waived the first year). Sounds fair to me since I pay off the balance monthly.
                  Filed 11-4-09
                  Discharged 4-26-10 (took 3k out of a 4k tax return. Who cares! $55k in debt went away!)
                  Portland, Oregon

Comment

Has anyone else used Addison Avenue CU for a secured card? I don't really want a credit card, haven't had one in almost 4 years but I do want to rebuild credit. I like the idea of using a secured card to do that, also as a backup to debit. Addison Avenue had no fees and I would earn a small amount of interest. Anyone else had luck with them?
                    A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Originally posted by discombob1 View Post
                      Has anyone else used Addison Avenue CU for a secured card? I don't really want a credit card, haven't had one in almost 4 years but I do want to rebuild credit. I like the idea of using a secured card to do that, also as a backup to debit. Addison Avenue had no fees and I would earn a small amount of interest. Anyone else had luck with them?
                      Yes, and in my opinion, Addison Avenue FCU is the best financial institution I've ever dealt with, bar none.

-Rich

Comment

I was discharged 2/28/2009 (Ch 7) and applied online with Capitol One. I was issued a non-secured $0 first year $39/year 17.9% variable APR with a $750 limit. Seemed like a pretty good deal and was certainly painless to apply for.

Comment

I was just declined online for a capital one secured card. I discharged them about 3k with a C7 1 week ago.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          8/10 - began researching bk, 9/10 - stopped paying ccs, 10/10 - paid atty fees, 11/10 - filed c7 - over median income , 12/22 - 341, 12/23/ - no distribution

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkmiss View Post
                            I was just declined online for a capital one secured card. I discharged them about 3k with a C7 1 week ago.
                            Capital One is slightly finickie about people after BK. Some people have zero trouble with them at all and others, like myself, have to keep at them to get credit again. I also BK'd about 2k on a card with them that I opened 3 months before I filed (ouch)... they also denied me 3 times after discharge. On my fourth application, they finally gave me a card. So, YMMV... I think its probably a little soon to be expecting them to forgive you just yet.

At minimum, I would wait at least a month or two before trying to get credit again. Also, if you're trying just a week after your discharge...have you even made sure your credit reports look as good as they're going to get?
                            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Can or should a person have 3 cards from the same company?

Comment

Take a look at a local bank or credit union. We found a credit union that will help us re-establish our credit, and not kill us with fees and charges. "Secured" and "Unsecured" credit cards report the same on your credit report, according to the credit union, and a financial class we have been going through to rebuild our credit. The best part is, since we are building a credit history with the credit union, they say they would (tentatively, of course) finance us for a car loan at a "normal" interest rate after 12 months' ontime payments.

Before going to one of there rip-off artists, talk to a local bank or credit union. Our is First Community Credit union in Jacksonville, FL. Hope this helps.
                                Ch 13 0% unsecured Filed 04/10.....Converted to Ch 7 11/10 ....
                                341 meeting 1/6/11.....Letter of No Distribution 1/7/11 .....Discharge....3/11/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X