No announcement yet.

Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd. I've gotten a couple of other unsecured cards, but was declined by Cap One -- even though they were PIF and closed BEFORE my Chapter 13 filing. On my CR, Cap One is still reporting positively, but they won't offer me credit today. Weird.

Comment

Just got approve from cap one with $3k limit...and got approved from Best Buy Master card but don't know the limit...got denied from bestbuy store card..Cap one has $39 per year fee and BB has $59 per year fee...rate is 12.95% and 14.95% which is pretty good for my credit..

I got discharged in May, 2009....for now, these 2 cards is plenty enough for me for my new life style..

Comment

I recently applied for 2 credit cards and was denied. I read this thread, applied for the orchard bank - I did the pre-qualify option. It said I pre-qualified, so I went ahead and submitted the application. I was instantly approved for the platinum card, I definately thought secured. Looks like $500 to start. Yeah. I want to start re-establishing my credit and nobody else would even give me the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
          I recently applied for 2 credit cards and was denied. I read this thread, applied for the orchard bank - I did the pre-qualify option. It said I pre-qualified, so I went ahead and submitted the application. I was instantly approved for the platinum card, I definately thought secured. Looks like $500 to start. Yeah. I want to start re-establishing my credit and nobody else would even give me the opportunity.
          Congrats!

Comment

So dh applied for a Cap One card expecting to get denied. It says he's approved and will receive his card in 7-10 days. It doesn't say the limit or if it's secured or not.

I guess we will wait and see.
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Orchard Bank

I applied for a Cap 1 card a couple months ago - about 2 mos after discharge - and was denied. After reading this thread, I thought I'd try the Orchard Bank website and the pre-approval option. It said I was pre-approved for the Platinum card with a 9.xx% APR and a $59 annual fee. I was surprised about that - thinking if anything it would be a secured card or the one for limited credit history. So I appled, and it said it could not be processed online and I'd hear from them in 10-14 days - so I immediately thought "denial". I ended up calling them to see if I could be considered for the other card if I was denied, and it turned out I actually got approved! It's only $300 credit limit, but that's fine with me... I just want to put a monthly bill on there which I will put on an autopay option to build my credit back up. Thanks to previous posters for the info!!
              Filed Ch7 BK - 12/10/08
              341 - 01/20/09
              DISCHARGED - 03/31/09
              CLOSED!!! - 04/07/09

Comment

Originally posted by pawn2e4 View Post
                Applied for a secured credit card online at Public Saving Bank [link removed by moderator - this forum does not recommend or endorse any financial websites - visit this one at your own risk]. This secured card is pretty new and there is $79 fees. I'm now waiting for my CC to arrive.

Hi Pawn, did you get your card from Public Saving Bank? I want to apply for a secured card for $500 mainly for car rentals for long trips. My car has 94k miles and I travel alone.

I've never heard of this bank. I was turned down by Orchard and Hooters. They won't even let me have a secured card.

Thanks,
                Toomuch
                ~~~ Toomuch ~~~

Filed Chapter 7 - 10/15/08
                341 Meeting - 11/13/08

Comment

Well, knock me over with a feather! Our chapter 7 was discharged less than 2 weeks ago. Dh is unemployed and I work very part time, so we don't make a lot of cash right now. Dh has a contract job coming up that requires some travel which means hotels and rental cars that he has to front the money for and submit on an expense report later, so he needs a credit card. I thought I'd give a shot at capitol one, which we discharged 10,000 on in our BK. They approved me for $1,000 on the spot. Says card will be here in 7-10 days.
                  filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
                  341 meeting 6/4/09
                  DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

Congratulations downsized!

Did you happen to try the "pre-qualify" option on the Capital One site first, or just straight up apply?

I'm curious how closely the lack of pre-qualified offers would track with the chances of approval.

I included them in my filing, so I'm not expecting anything -- but a small card post discharge would be nice. I'm petrified of my merchant processing company running an account review with my scores this low and terminating my account. With a small account reporting positive I should be able to bring my scores up to bad but not so low I risk termination.

Comment

Yes, I did the "prequalify" first.

I was curious, so I applied for dh, too. He's the one who really needs the card anyway. He was denied. It said to try again in 45 days. The capitol one discharge on our filing papers have them listed as a joint acct. I'm thinking now that either it wasn't a joint acct or I wasn't the primary cardholder? Oh well. Doesn't matter. I'll see about adding him as a user on my acct so he can use the card when he travels.
                      341 meeting 6/4/09
                      DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

FYI - my denied requests

I BK'd one HSBC card and three Chase cards July 2009.

I received a pre-approved Chase application in the mail. I sent it in. Denied "because of too many credit inquiries"

I then tried Orchard Bank. I did the pre-approval thing and that resulted in a $39 annual fee credit card online. I was thrilled. Unfortunately, later I received mail that said Denied "because of severely delinquent HSBC account"

So it has not been so easy for me. I'd like a card to start rebuilding and refreshing my financial future.

What do you suggest I do next?

Comment

Originally posted by UhOh View Post
                          I BK'd one HSBC card and three Chase cards July 2009.

I received a pre-approved Chase application in the mail. I sent it in. Denied "because of too many credit inquiries"

I then tried Orchard Bank. I did the pre-approval thing and that resulted in a $39 annual fee credit card online. I was thrilled. Unfortunately, later I received mail that said Denied "because of severely delinquent HSBC account"

So it has not been so easy for me. I'd like a card to start rebuilding and refreshing my financial future.

Give Capitol One a try. It appears that most who apply are approved for $1000 instantly and even some who included them in the BK.
                          341 meeting 6/4/09
                          DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

Originally posted by UhOh View Post

I would suggest ordering your free copies of your credit reports (either your free yearly one, or use the "Recently Denied for Credit" option to request a free one).

Then make sure all of your accounts from the BK reflect a $0 balance and "Included in Bankruptcy" as the pay status (or something similar, just not "Charge Off" or "Past 120+ Days").

Dispute the ones that aren't correct.

That should help things look better before your next application.

Comment

Card for me

I am trying to re-establish my credit, but it seems impossible.

My BK was discharged in January. It looks like my credit score is 518.

I have been turned down for First Premier, Orchard Bank and Aspire.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

The road to rebuilding my credit hasn't been easy since my discharge in July 2009 Chapter 7. I had been reading these threads trying to figure out what credit card companies were BK Friendly LOL.... I quickly discovered that everybody's situation is different. I applied for Capital One, Best Buy Store Card, First Pemier Bank, Apple Visa Card... Nothing..I don't want or need any of these cards but I would like to start rebuilding my credit you know the whole fresh start thing. Every one of those companies came back with secured cc offers.

Applied for Credit One Bank.... 1-2-3 Approved for a visa with a $200.00 limit. Not much... But I don't plan on using it The annual fee is $59.00 they bill it on the first billing cycle. Give it a try... If you are trying to rebuild your credit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X