No announcement yet.

Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious, how soon after your discharge did you apply for Amex? I just applied and was denied. Any suggestions on how to be approved?

Comment

Seems like Credit One, First Premier, Orchard Bank and Cap 1 are still very much BK friendly
      Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
      The rebuilding begins

Comment

I was just able to get a Credit One and a First Premier card, both within 90 days of my final discharge. Both have very low limits and were gotten to start rebuilding my credit, since I will need that at some point in my future life to buy a car, house, etc...

Comment

I was just approved for a Cap 1 online. I was discharged in 10/10. Cap 1 has sent me many pre-apporved applications in the mail since I filed in July. Decided to give it a try and was approved!

Comment

Originally posted by telco95 View Post
            I was just approved for a Cap 1 online. I was discharged in 10/10. Cap 1 has sent me many pre-apporved applications in the mail since I filed in July. Decided to give it a try and was approved!
            Same here.
            I was discharged the end of October, applied online after getting a pre-screening letter last week. I was approved. Waiting to get my card now, so I can see what my limit is.
            7/01/10 - filed!
            11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

I was just discharged too. I applied and was approved for Cap1 and waiting on my limit now. No annual fee, I'll just set up my gym membership onto it and pay off but I am curious what my limit will be.

Comment

I have been offered numerous card offers by both Orchard Bank and Capital one. The Orchard has $49 annual fee and interest free for 1 year and then 12.9 rate after that. The Cap1 has no annual fee, interest free until 9/2011 and then rate of 22.9. I will only use the card to build credit and not carry a balance. I'm leaning toward the Cap1. Any suggestions? i just don't want to get stuck paying 50 dollar fee every year. Which card do you recommend? Thanks in advance for all responses!!
                Discharged Chapt 7 on 7/7/10.
                Scores as of 7/12/11: EQ Fico 653; TU Fico 644; EX Quizzle 652
                Only card right now is Cap One $2500, no AF, approved 12/4/10.

Comment

I tried Cap1 too, 1 day after discharge. I got my card today, with the same 0% till 9/2011 no annual fee and a $3000 limit. I was not expecting that limit. Won't be using it other than gym membership but nice to know I got approved for it. I was going to try for the best buy card but I think 1 is fine with that limit. I am just thrilled that if I need to rent a car for work I will not have a problem!

Comment

Got approved today for the Capital One Platinum with no annual fee. I won't know what the limit is until I get the card in 7-10 business days. Interest free until 9/2011 and then 22.9 variable after that. The interest rate is not good, but I don't plan on carrying a balance and won't have to pay $39 or higher every year. The no annual fee was important to me so I won't have to close this card later. I have researched and closing your oldest/first card, even after BK, will lower your score if you choose to close it later on. To me the no annual fee outweights a lower interest card with an annual fee, if you don't carry a balance. I think I'll wait down the line before applying for another card. Don't know if having 2 cards now will help me vs waiting. Anybody have any advice on getting a 2nd card now vs applying later once I make 6mo or so payments to Cap1.?

Comment

I BK on two Cap 1 cards. Am I wasting my time by applying for another?

Comment

in reading this particular thread, it seems that even people that have BK'd Cap1, have been able to get another card, but probably depends on each situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan2010 View Post
                          Seems like Credit One, First Premier, Orchard Bank and Cap 1 are still very much BK friendly
                          Last month (Nov), I applied for a Cap One unsecured, having no previous cap one accounts and was turned down.

They sent a flier saying I should try their great secured card program. Also got denied due to BK public record on file =/

Then they sent another secured card offer (exact same as before) and I just threw it away

My Experian score is 657 and I have a secured and unsecured USBank card. CapOne (unsecured and secured), Chase/Amazon (unsecured), BofA (secured), and Wells Fargo (secured) have denied me so far.

Seems like other people's mileage may vary. No outstanding collections or debts on my record (just no recent credit due to the nature of going through ch13 and living cash-only). Not sure if this is new or not *shrug*

I was discharged from my 13 in late 07 I believe. Spotless credit behavior since. In the denial letters they stated the public record/BK.

Comment

approved with cap 1 for MTV visa $500 cl, 0$ annual fee. All I need just in case I have to rent a car or hotel.
                            Filed Ch 7 8/12/10
                            341 Meeting 9/15/10
                            Discharged 11/15/10

Comment

As I mentioned somewhere else on these forums, I personally want to limit myself to secured cards. Why? Because I'm self-employed, so a lot of things could happen to prevent me from being able to make payments. I am not covered by workers' comp, unemployment insurance, etc. So having cards backed by cash works just fine for me. Here are a few that I like (without links, which I know are frowned upon here):

Public Savings Bank

I applied and was approved for a secured card from Public Savings Bank, which is pretty much an automated process (they don't bother doing a credit check). Two nice things about PSB are (1) that they don't report the card as a "secured card" to the CRAs, and (2) that a real person answered the phone the one time I called. The bad things are (1) slow processing (three to four weeks) unless you pay an extra $75.00 for rush service, and (2) starting with applications submitted on or after January 1, 2011, a $50.00 annual fee.

Disclaimer: PSB is an advertiser on some of my sites. But that doesn't affect what I have to say about them. I have dozens of sites and hundreds of advertisers, and I reject many more advertisers than I accept.

Teachers Federal credit Union

I actually decided against accepting this card because I found another CU that was a better fit for me in other ways. But if you live, work, worship, do business in, and so forth in Long Island, New York, TFCU has an excellent deal on secured credit cards.

Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union / First Tech Credit Union

They've merged, so they'll be First tech as of January 1, 2011, but will continue operating under the Addison Avenue name until June. This credit union was established for HP employees, but I somehow qualified for membership. They have a very nice secured Visa deal: No annual fee, and 25-day grace period. Interest is a little high at 16 percent, but that's meaningless if you don't plan on carry a balance.

This CU is a good match for me in ways other than the Visa card, such as the fact that I now get employee discounts on HP stuff (I have never worked for HP in my life, by the way). They're also a pleasure to deal with, as are most credit unions in my experience; and deposits / withdrawals can be made at most credit unions anywhere in the country. I regularly transact business on my AAFCU accounts (they're in California) at my local CU here in New York.

Just thought I'd toss these out there for those interested in secured cards. As I said, I think they're a better, safer bet for someone like me who is self-employed, and I suppose that many other people here either prefer them, or can't get an unsecured card at a decent interest rate.

-Rich
                              Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
                              Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

Cap One approved! $500 credit limit with first year free. Just want to use it occasionally to build up credit score.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X