Question about credit report after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about credit report after discharge

So we pulled our credit to see what it showed. We were discharged 5-12-09. The local bank we had a truck loan through is showing as charged off instead of IIB. So my question is if we voluntarily gave up the truck right before we filed would it still need to say IIB on the credit report or can they show charged off? How do we fix that? Thanks.
    Filed Jan 23rd, 2009
    341 meeting--February 24th--Went smooth
    :yahoo::yahoo:
    Discharged may 12th--had to call the court clerk!!:clapping::yahoo::yahoo::

anything that was included in your bankruptcy should be reported as iib, dispute it. for them to not report it correctly is illegal.

Comment

Any idea what a letter to this bank should say?
      Filed Jan 23rd, 2009

Comment

you would want to dispute it with the credit reporting agency (ie, transunion, experian) before the bank. always do it certified mail, keep records as they have 30 days to investigate it. here is a good resource for sample letters. http://www.bkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Comment

I have been disputing all kinds of items on my credit report since my discharge and slowly but surely everything is getting cleared up.
          Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
          341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
          Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by okiebk09 View Post
            So my question is if we voluntarily gave up the truck right before we filed would it still need to say IIB on the credit report or can they show charged off?
            The key here is when the lender charged off the loan.

If the lender charged the loan off BEFORE you filed, then they can legitimately list the loan as charged off because it was true before you filed.

However, if they charged off the loan AFTER you filed, then the account must read IIB (included in bankruptcy).
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

so who would I cantact to find out when it was "charged off"? I am sure it was after we filed.
              Filed Jan 23rd, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by okiebk09 View Post
                so who would I cantact to find out when it was "charged off"? I am sure it was after we filed.
                Start by disputing the charge-off with the credit agency (or agencies) and including your bk case number in the dispute. You should see within 30 days if they change the designation to IIB.

If the CA confirms the charge-off is correct, then you have to move on to the original creditor. Do the dispute with the original creditor in writing (registered return receipt letter) to create a paper trail. Include a copy of your discharge and a copy of the original creditor list from your bk with the creditor's name highlighted. If the company did the charge-off after filing, they should then instruct the CA to correct the account to IIB. Again, you'll see the change within 30 days.
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

But if you gave the truck back before you filed, technically they could charge off the loan at that point, correct?
                  Filed Ch 7 11/28/09 | 341 1/7/10 | Last Date for Objections 3/8/10 | Discharged 3/10/10

Comment

Originally posted by smokedurhonda View Post
                    anything that was included in your bankruptcy should be reported as iib, dispute it. for them to not report it correctly is illegal.

Hello everyone! Not to derail this thread but I was curious if I recently filed for bankruptcy and I had numerous charge offs. Are you telling me I should see some of them still read "charge off" and some of the accounts reading "iib" when I get my discharge? Sorry to ask but I just want to be sure what to look out for and how to correct things properly. Thanks in advance for your help.
                    Last edited by kvangild; 06-14-2009, 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
                    Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
                    Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
                    Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X