Need some advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice please!

We discharged in Sept '08. We have applied for a few cards the past couple of months and been turned down by every one of them. This week I applied for one that was crappy ($250 limit w/ $180 in fees) and was approved. I don't plan to activate it, I will cancel it as soon as it gets here (I was scrolling to read the terms on my laptop and hit enter....which submitted my application ) We applied at a couple of local banks for a loan ($7,000) and were turned down. I'm getting so down at this whole thing. We sold our house in March and were able to pay off all our bills, vehicle, house, med bills from baby this year etc) The only thing we have is our rent & utilites that add up to $500 per month. Hubby makes $2200 per month. Our credit reports are almost completely up to date & correct, still working on that part. They show 0 open accounts etc.
    What are we doing wrong?!
    When will we be able to finally obtain some sort of credit to start rebuilding history?
    What companies will even lend to us at this point?
    Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
    Livin' the GOOD life

You're probably applying too much for credit. This will hurt you in the "short" term.

I would say, don't be so quick to get more credit, because it can be bad and put you right back where you were. I would suggest using that "starter" card for six months and don't apply for anything in that 6 months. Then apply for a credit card, not a $7K loan, at a department store. Get the card, but try not to use it.

There is definitely a strategy on how to rebuild. A lot of what you will get in terms of credit after BK... is based on what your payment habits were before BK (as that information is still in the credit reporting agency's system).

Also understand, that credit is tight and hard to get even for people with 750+ credit scores. What is your FICO? Even if it's in the 600s, won't mean you'll get approved for things, these days.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X