top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for credit card post discharge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for credit card post discharge...

I applied for capital one and was denied. I am considering applying for a credit card at my credit union. I did not file against them, had auto loan I paid off, member for many years. I fear I will be denied and humiliated. Should I go for it or suck it up and do a pre-paid credit card.

You know that if you file BK and apply for credit afterwards your chance of being denied on any credit application is extremely high. No one can tell you whether or not you will be accepted for any card but if you were recently denied, your chances of getting denied again on another application are the same. Plus you are racking up hard inquiries trying to get approved which stay on your credit reports for two years and can bring your score down considerably.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I would get a debit card from where you bank, I would have done that before filing. I would not recommend a cc so soon after discharge. It appears to eager for credit and not real sure that is wise. I like our debit card, I can monitor our spending better, and at the end of the month, there isn't a bill!

Prepaid isn't bad either, but a debit, atleast ours has a Mastercard logo so I can use it anywhere. I realize it isn't reported on our credit report, but honestly that isn't my top priority right now, relearning how to live within our means has been a good lesson, and I am proud of the fact we do now.
      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
        I applied for capital one and was denied. I am considering applying for a credit card at my credit union. I did not file against them, had auto loan I paid off, member for many years. I fear I will be denied and humiliated. Should I go for it or suck it up and do a pre-paid credit card.
        I never applied for a credit card through my credit union but did apply for a small personal loan, less than $1000. Even though my credit score was higher than their minimum requirement they denied me because bankruptcy appeared on my credit report. Now it will be showing on my credit report for 2 years. I also didn't need the loan, I just wanted to raise my credit score by demonstrating financial responsibility and didn't get the chance.

Comment

Do you know anyone who can add you as an authorized user to their credit card? Maybe a spouse?

I do believe being an authorized user can help improve your credit. I think they are reported on.
          Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
          341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
          Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Comment

Do you know anyone who can add you onto their card as an authorized use (maybe a spouse)? I think that as an authorized user, they will report to a credit agency your score, so you can help rebuild your credit that way.
            Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
            341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
            Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X