Capital One Card 30 days after 341 meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital One Card 30 days after 341 meeting

I don't know how many folks have done this, but I was able to be added onto my hubby's Capital One card within weeks after my 341.

I filed and he didn't, so his credit seems to remain untouched. He still had the Capital One card, which we use for groceries and gas and pay in full each month. I wanted to start rebuilding my credit, as well as have access to the card for food and gas so we decided to try adding me on as an authorized user.

They asked for my SS#, so I honestly thought they would deny me. But sure enough, my card came in the mail about a week later.

I just thought that someone else might benefit from this info. I have gotten offers in the mail for other credit cards post BK but these have been horrible offers. First Premier is one of them- they are charging so many fees upfront.

By the way, I am not credit hungry. My BK was the result of a business failure, not overspending. It is very convenient for us as a family to have a card for food and gas and pay it once each month in full, hence my reason for wanting to get a card so fast.
    Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
    341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
    Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

As an "authorized user" you may not be getting the benefit of rebuilding your credit. I know an authorized user is not responsible for the debt, I can't think of the exact term but I believe you have to sign an agreement with them for it to be reported on your credit report.

Comment

OK- that's good to know. I've actually been trying to figure out whether or not they would report this.
      Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
      341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
      Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Comment

I don't believe they will. If in the future you hunny files bk you would not be held responsible for the debt as an authorized user, so you dont get the benefit either.

I'm just repeating myself huh?

Comment

I hate to disagree, but this has been my experience.

My Ex-husband added me as a authorized user to his credit cards while we were still married. I never charged anything with them, nor did I sign anything with the credit card companies to make me liable for the debt. Once we divorced, I started receiving phone calls about HIS debt with these credit cards. It seems...that when he stopped paying on them, he changed his address to MY home (he lived across country) and gave them my phone number.

My phone rang off the hook, and the creditors asked for him or me...and wanted money. I ran a credit check on myself for all 3 major credit reporting companies, and sure enough I seen his late payments reflecting on my credit report. (I still do not know how they did this, as they didnt have my soc. #)
          Each debt listed on my credit report as "authorized user". I wrote the credit reporting agencies and had his cards removed from my credit report, as his late payments were dragging down my score.

This being said, if it can drag a score down...it can also drag it up. So if you are added to your husbands, and the card remains in good standing...give it a few months and run a credit report on yourself. You should see his card info on your report (just as I did).

In your case, it may be a good thing to help rebuild your credit, in my situation it was very ugly!!

I wish you the best.
          8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
          11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

nomorecards
            was this an AMEX card?

I just looked at my credit report, I was a signer on all of my hubbs cards but they do not show up on my credit report. I am praying to god this is correct, because we added our daughter as a signer to one of his cards so she could have a card for emergencies and hopefully our bk does not show up on her report!!

Comment

It was not a AMEX card.

He added me to his Capital One, HSBC, and Wells Fargo accounts.
              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

Do you live in a community property state? I do not, and I was thinking this might be why your experience was different than mine.

Comment

I do not live in a community property state. I live in Michigan.
                  8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                  11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X